• Installation problem (graphics card?)

HI Folks,

I am doing my best to move from Manjaro to Antergos to be a bit closer to Arch.

I tried installing on my new (used) system yesterday. The live environment worked great, and the install seemed to go OK, but when I tried booting into Antergos I discovered that the welcome screen would not draw correctly. I tried to Alt-F3 to get to a TTY and manually update the driver (I would like to use the free-ATI driver to power the Radeon graphics card) but I could not even see a command prompt.

I would like to give this one more try before I go back to Manjaro, which apparently has better hardware detection…

Thanks for any help

Chris

• HI Folks,

I am doing my best to move from Manjaro to Antergos to be a bit closer to Arch.

I tried installing on my new (used) system yesterday. The live environment worked great, and the install seemed to go OK, but when I tried booting into Antergos I discovered that the welcome screen would not draw correctly. I tried to Alt-F3 to get to a TTY and manually update the driver (I would like to use the free-ATI driver to power the Radeon graphics card) but I could not even see a command prompt.

I would like to give this one more try before I go back to Manjaro, which apparently has better hardware detection…

Thanks for any help

Chris

• What graphic card do You have? I asking about specific model, like “HD 6850”, etc.

My shot for now is to add nomodeset option to the grub entry…

• @“Alphanumerix”:2bkfr5yj said:

What graphic card do You have? I asking about specific model, like “HD 6850”, etc.

My shot for now is to add nomodeset option to the grub entry…[/quote:2bkfr5yj]

AMD Radeon 5450

I might give it another shot, but not until I get something more definitive than “my shot for now is…”

I’d rather be running Antergos than Manjaro, but there seems to be broad consensus that the Antergos installation needs a lot of work, I have precious little time to devote to it…

Right now I’ll live with getting updates a few weeks late

• @“cgrif”:3hegr6lv said:

but there seems to be broad consensus that the Antergos installation needs a lot of work[/quote:3hegr6lv]What feedback is this consensus coming from? Every issue that has been brought to our attention has been promptly taken care of where possible. Of course there is little we can actually do about graphics driver related issues but we are certainly open to suggestions. The next time you do an install, be sure to download the latest ISO from the website. It has been updated as of yesterday. If you run into any problems please let me know. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• @“lots.0.logs”:s3z503n1 said:

@“cgrif”:s3z503n1 said:

but there seems to be broad consensus that the Antergos installation needs a lot of work[/quote:s3z503n1]What feedback is this consensus coming from? Every issue that has been brought to our attention has been promptly taken care of where possible. Of course there is little we can actually do about graphics driver related issues but we are certainly open to suggestions. The next time you do an install, be sure to download the latest ISO from the website. It has been updated as of yesterday. If you run into any problems please let me know. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:s3z503n1]

HI Dustin,
    I guess my statement is somewhat anecdotal. I’m going to download the latest tonight and give it one more go. Thanks for following up to this thread.
    Best,
    Chris

• No problem! Let me know how it goes

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2c7npx9h said:

No problem! Let me know how it goes

Cheers![/quote:2c7npx9h]

HI Dustin,

Tried to install the latest Antergos (from 6-24-14) but I ran into the same problem. The live session ran beautifully but when I booted into it, the display just showed me a pattern and a little bit of content squished into the top few rows of pixels. I could not get into a command prompt by hitting Alt-F3. I had no way of diagnosing the issue.

If there is any way to try to help diagnose the problem, I would be willing to do so.

Best,
    Chris

• @“cgrif”:126clgzu said:

I could not get into a command prompt by hitting Alt-F3.[/quote:126clgzu]Did you mean Ctrl-Alt-F3? Not sure if it was a typo or if you did not include “Ctrl”. It should be Ctrl+Alt+F3. If you didn’t use Ctrl go ahead and try that to see if you can switch VTs. If that doesnt work then remove “quiet” from the kernel boot command (press " e " when grub starts) and put this in its place:

That should bring you to a login prompt. From there you can copy the journal logs to a usb flash drive (if you have one it makes it a lot easier). Be sure to boot normally at least once before grabbing the logs so that the failure will be in the logs.  
    >   
    > \#Write the journal from the previous 3 boots to a file  
    > mkdir /tmp/journals && cd $\_  
    > sudo journalctl -b 1 \> journal.last  
    > sudo journalctl -b 2 \> journal.2last  
    > sudo journalctl -b 3 \> journal.3last  
    >   
    > \#Copy xsession-errors and Xorg logs \*\*Don't forget the period at the end of each command...im lazy ;-)  
    > cp ~/.xsession-errors .  
    > cp ~/.xsession-errors.old .  
    > cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log .  
    > cp /var/log/Xorg.1.log .  
    >   
    > \#Copy the files to USB drive  
    > sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt  
    > sudo cp -R /tmp/journals /mnt  
    > sudo umount /mnt

That should tell us what we need to know

Cheers!

• Hi,

Yes I apologize, I did try to execute Ctrl-Alt-F3. I abandoned Antergos, went with Manjaro, which then became unstable very quickly. I don’t know what’s up with my bad luck on the Arch derivatives on my new machine. I decided to install SolydK so I could get up and running. I have a spare partition and will come back to Antergos as soon as I have time.

Thanks for your pointers…I’ll let you know if I have the same issue when I get back to this. For now I have to much work to do to spend time on debugging
    thanks,
    Chris

@“lots.0.logs”:3uza22de said:

@“cgrif”:3uza22de said:

I could not get into a command prompt by hitting Alt-F3.[/quote:3uza22de]Did you mean Ctrl-Alt-F3? Not sure if it was a typo or if you did not include “Ctrl”. It should be Ctrl+Alt+F3. If you didn’t use Ctrl go ahead and try that to see if you can switch VTs. If that doesnt work then remove “quiet” from the kernel boot command (press " e " when grub starts) and put this in its place:

That should bring you to a login prompt. From there you can copy the journal logs to a usb flash drive (if you have one it makes it a lot easier). Be sure to boot normally at least once before grabbing the logs so that the failure will be in the logs.  
    > >   
    > > \#Write the journal from the previous 3 boots to a file  
    > > mkdir /tmp/journals && cd $\_  
    > > sudo journalctl -b 1 \> journal.last  
    > > sudo journalctl -b 2 \> journal.2last  
    > > sudo journalctl -b 3 \> journal.3last  
    > >   
    > > \#Copy xsession-errors and Xorg logs \*\*Don't forget the period at the end of each command...im lazy ;-)  
    > > cp ~/.xsession-errors .  
    > > cp ~/.xsession-errors.old .  
    > > cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log .  
    > > cp /var/log/Xorg.1.log .  
    > >   
    > > \#Copy the files to USB drive  
    > > sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt  
    > > sudo cp -R /tmp/journals /mnt  
    > > sudo umount /mnt

That should tell us what we need to know

Cheers![/quote:3uza22de]

• seems like something else is the problem besides using arch.

with computers it can be many many things.

• @“megaman”:v17bv4xk said:

seems like something else is the problem besides using arch.

with computers it can be many many things.[/quote:v17bv4xk]

Yeah, what you say makes sense. Antergos and Manjaro both bombed on me, SolydK is running like a champ.
    Not sure, but I’ve still got my spare partition and so I’l come back to Antergos soon …

best,
    Chris

• You may get better results using the LTS kernel. Lately it seems the latest kernel breaks nvidia and ATI graphics in some way or another each release. It usually works itself out with a little time which is why sometimes it is better to hang back a little bit

Cheers!

• Hello.

I guess my problem falls under this. I have a vaio sz 55, dual graphics card (nvidia 8400GS, and intel GM965 chipset/x3100), but I was running Antergos on intel only. After one update in May (I think, I could probably find the exact date I did system upgrade) I couldn’t start Antergos anymore on Intel graphics, even though live USB works really well. After several reinstallation attempts it’s still the same, get to the boot menu, after which some garbled screen appears and boot stops there with black screen. I have a hybrid drive on the computer so it all goes fast, and as far as I can tell the black screen may be hiding login screen, however, I cannot check this.

After struggling with Ubuntu for awhile, which seemed like an easy quick fix since I have some work deadlines, I reinstalled Antergos with nvidia proprietary drivers. Although they work fine (except for suspend) I would much more prefer running Antergos on intel graphics, it’s cooler and gives better run on battery.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

I also apologise if there is already a solution to this problem, I just couldn’t find it on the forums.

vld

You know, I was wrong. I thought you boys weren't prepared for the future. But now, I realize your future is gonna be filled with that crap. So keep it up, you guys will be just fine. (Stan Smith, 9-13)

• @“vlad”:1yoxoo2f said:

Any suggestions or thoughts?[/quote:1yoxoo2f]Have you tried blacklisting both nouveau and nvidia drivers? Does your EFI/BIOS allow you to disable the Nvidia card?

Cheers!

• Actually, there was no need to blacklist drivers, since I have always installed Antergos only with intel graphics active (SZ has a mechanical speed/stamina switch which initiates one graphics card or the other on boot, no bios options). The funny issue is that I install with intel on, and laptop reboots into black screen. I switch off the comp, switch on nvidia and it boots with generic, i guess vesa drivers, but from there I can install nvidia drivers of choice, restart and it works. Intel graphics won’t work even after this, although from windows works fine.

One possibly related thing though, after installing nvidia drivers I couldn’t update the system. What worked at the end was unistalling intel drivers. That sorted out the nvidia-libgl mesa-libgl conflict issues and I am able to run -Syu now. Haven’t tried intel after this yet - will report as soon as I do.

Best.

You know, I was wrong. I thought you boys weren't prepared for the future. But now, I realize your future is gonna be filled with that crap. So keep it up, you guys will be just fine. (Stan Smith, 9-13)

• That is strange. Intel graphics usually “just work”. What chipset is it? Is it brand new?

• @“lots.0.logs”:3qcmsw7d said:

That is strange. Intel graphics usually “just work”. What chipset is it? Is it brand new?[/quote:3qcmsw7d]

It’s an old sony vaio with Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset (X3100 graphics). Bizzare thing is that it worked until one system update in May, and ever since then I cannot set it up with intel graphics (I am mad at myself for not making a partition image, since I had a really good work setup).

Anyway, nvidia setup seems ok so far. I will come back to the issue in a month or so. I have some work deadline before that.

Thanx!

• Did you install proprietary or open source drive? Try switching beetwen them

• I had to give up on nvidia drivers, proprietary would start flicker and get unstable resulting in freezing, and nouveau would bring the graphic card to overheating and switching off (last couple days I’ve been testing different options). In the meantime, i also tried installing 32bit version and different 64bit desktops, and the results, at least on intel graphics, are the same. The point is that live boot from usb works as it should recognising hardware and using intel 965gm driver, after reboot the computer gets through garbled screen stage and finally stuck with a black screen and not responding to anything.

Ubuntu worked without a glitch on intel for the last couple weeks, mint as well, but I am used to gnome and Antergos until recently was the best option, it worked so smoothly.

Cheers!

Posts 23Views 7228