• Pamac 6.2.3 broken

Well, no.

App says 6.2.3 but the history says other version:
    [2018-02-04 00:30] [ALPM] transaction completed
    [2018-02-04 00:30] [ALPM] reinstalled pamac-tray-appindicator (6.2.4-1)
    [2018-02-04 00:30] [ALPM] reinstalled pamac (6.2.4-1)
    [2018-02-04 00:30] [ALPM] transaction started

So… what version do I have now??

• @casquinhas said in Pamac 6.2.3 broken:

So changing OS, is like having an argue with your wife about tonight’s dinner and she wants fish, you want beef, so you ask for divorce.

I wish I could buy you a beer for that comment :D

I added pamac to IgnorePkg and now pacman GUI is telling me that it’s ignoring pamac updates. Any way to undo this?

• @cursewords Same thing brother pacman is now ignoring my upgrade 5.2.3 after I Downgrade yesterday I am also switching to manjaro.

• @keegan Sorry about this late answer. I just grabbed the source package and compiled it according to its instructions, but targeting to my home folder.

• @cursewords @jatin Edit /etc/pacman.conf, find IgnorePkg line an precede it with a # mark.

• Jatin jumped the ship i guess already :)

• Pamac is made by Manjaro devs.
    Manjaro users did not see this pamac problem, because Manjaro devs apparently held back this broken update. Were they just lazy, or did they know about the problem, is unknown to me.
    The reason for the problem was incompatibility with the new Vala compiler release.

But there is a lesson to learn here. I know it is practically impossible to test every package from upstream, but since pamac is a heavily used and important tool for many Antergos users, maybe that particular package deserves some extra testing before letting it out to repos? This surely is not the only time pamac has caused trouble.

• I agree, pamac is very important and deserves a special treatment, though by terminal you can easily manage your updates, even the ones coming from AUR (“yaourt -Syua” my magic formula I learned here).
    When a problem is faced, if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, you just wait and the solution will come.
    In fact I waited for the update and now pamac is working great.
    But I love Antergos and it’s my distro of choise.
    And when you are on Antergos, you should know when you are, if you don’t, you better go.

• i do agree with you, that it would be a good one to have testing on pamac, but also as @karasu writes it is not a main application and is not causing a big problem if it is not running, as we can use a very simple command to get updates without pamac: sudo pacman -Syu
    or if you get some AUR builds running. yaourt -Syua

And also testing apps, needs users from our community to do so!
    System on antergos is ready to do this, will need only some users from every antergos-style-DE to have a VM with it running and enable staging repo, as i can see ? as packages go to staging first and then to official repo.

• @joekamprad
    I slightly disagree with you and @karasu about the roles of pamac vs. pacman and others.
    Surely we can work around pamac issues by using other tools.

But for many Antergos users out there, pamac issues are a problem, since it is (for many) the basic tool to use when updating the system (since it has a nice GUI). And if a basic tool constantly has issues, then the reason of having that tool around has significantly less meaning. After all, we know that pacman (and yaourt) work very reliably, so why have pamac at all?

So, slightly overstating, we should either make sure pamac works well, or remove it from the repos.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I added a feature to my personal update system to check new source releases of pamac. Just my two cents for the thread.

• @manuel said in Pamac 6.2.3 broken:

Pamac is made by Manjaro devs.
    Manjaro users did not see this pamac problem, because Manjaro devs apparently held back this broken update. Were they just lazy, or did they know about the problem, is unknown to me.
    The reason for the problem was incompatibility with the new Vala compiler release.

But there is a lesson to learn here. I know it is practically impossible to test every package from upstream, but since pamac is a heavily used and important tool for many Antergos users, maybe that particular package deserves some extra testing before letting it out to repos? This surely is not the only time pamac has caused trouble.

Wise words.
    And we do not abandon the ship because a small issue. It’s an important component but it’s not an unusable system.

I see some people saying ‘off to Manjaro, bye bye’ for this. Why? Distro hop is what I see. Two weeks on Manjaro, a problem appears and they jump to Ubuntu. Next to Fedora. Well, not Fedora ok, but openSUSE. Then two weeks later, Mint.

I have Antergos since 14th December 2017. I’m on Linux since that day and before I did install everything I got my hands on.

We know the risk of some fresh cutting edge bits. Arch is my choice. Antergos my flavor.

I’m sending a message to Antergos to change “Antergos for everyone” to “Antergos for the solid”.

Well, after this mental diarrhea of love for Antergos, I really think this was a really small issue. I’ve made way worst errors that broke my system. Broke!

Love pamac. Love pacman. Love UrbanTerror.

• @joekamprad said in Pamac 6.2.3 broken:

i do agree with you, that it would be a good one to have testing on pamac, but also as @karasu writes it is not a main application and is not causing a big problem if it is not running, as we can use a very simple command to get updates without pamac: sudo pacman -Syu
    or if you get some AUR builds running. yaourt -Syua

And also testing apps, needs users from our community to do so!
    System on antergos is ready to do this, will need only some users from every antergos-style-DE to have a VM with it running and enable staging repo, as i can see ? as packages go to staging first and then to official repo.

Hum. Some lights on that? I know how to spin a VM.

• @manuel yes you are right on that! a casual user do not use a terminal, but the base is still ARCHLINUX and arch do not support graphicall installer and tools in terms of development, so to make clear what i want to say , if we want (as a community) to have pamac working and testet, we need to do organize this as the community itself!

And also if i do not agree totally, i will support this as it makes a better experience, and it will indeed help to let more users stay with antergos! I come from pure Archlinux and i do agree in the fact that users need to be forced also to get knowledge into the system itself, but i am here at antergos, because i do not agree that we should create an elite system, what is building a huge border to users with less experiences.

@casquinhas you are welcome to be the first official antergos beta tester ;)

But we went –offtopic– plz. stop this here and come around there:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9103/antergos-beta-testing

• Since we’re talking about a broken pamac, where should I report this error of missing icons. It’s related to Antergos but still can be a pamac (Manjaro) bug or missing something on install.

Many icons are missing. If you start pamac from terminal you will see those messages, and those directories does not exist.

[[email protected] Desktop]$ cd /usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos
    bash: cd: /usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos: No such file or directory
    [[email protected] Desktop]$ cd /usr/share/app-info/icons
    [[email protected] icons]$ ls
    total 20
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jan 14 16:13 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 14 16:13 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 14 16:13 archlinux-arch-community
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 14 16:13 archlinux-arch-core
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 14 16:13 archlinux-arch-extra
    [[email protected] icons]$ pamac-manager 
    /usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos/64x64/mate-utils_mate-system-log.png: Failed to open file '/usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos/64x64/mate-utils_mate-system-log.png': No such file or directory
    /usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos/64x64/mate-utils_mate-disk-usage-analyzer.png: Failed to open file '/usr/share/app-info/icons/archlinux-arch-antergos/64x64/mate-utils_mate-disk-usage-analyzer.png': No such file or directory

• try to change icon theme ?

• @ringo32 said in Pamac 6.2.3 broken:

try to change icon theme ?

This happens in all desktops, first time I saw this was on Deepin, so it looks like a pamac issue. KDE and now Xfce is the same.

• @casquinhas
    That sounds like a theme issue. Maybe devs have changed some general theme related packages?

@casquinhas
    That sounds like a theme issue. Maybe devs have changed some general theme related packages?

Maybe tomorrow I’ll look at the code, since it’s late today, but already downloaded it. I’ll figure it out, but looks like a directory with concatenation of OS name and it just come out without icons.
    So, got to find if it’s on the setup or later, that pamac or pacman also downloads icons because it must download some when apps are available, and not while setup is running, as we add apps later.
    But the structure looks strange, so… let me sleep on that.
    Cheers.

• @casquinhas
    I looked at pamac and it seems that many icon theme packages have been moved to AUR packages. I’m not exactly sure about this, since I don’t remember if the icon themes I installed some time ago were already in AUR or not. But I have strong a feeling they were not in AUR at that time.

Cheers! :)

EDIT: I found a (temporary) workaround for those warnings:

cd /usr/share/app-info/icons
    sudo ln -s archlinux-arch-community archlinux-arch-antergos

@casquinhas
    I looked at pamac and it seems that many icon theme packages have been moved to AUR packages. I’m not exactly sure about this, since I don’t remember if the icon themes I installed some time ago were already in AUR or not. But I have strong a feeling they were not in AUR at that time.

Cheers! :)

EDIT: I found a (temporary) workaround for those warnings:

cd /usr/share/app-info/icons
    sudo ln -s archlinux-arch-community archlinux-arch-antergos

Thank you. It’s a great solution. Did it. Works. Case closed.

pacman122 broken38 6.2.31 Posts 64Views 5316
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.