• (SOLVED)System won't boot after power failure

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all having a nice life!

Need some help here please. I was updating my system when suddenly there was a power failure and my pc turned off, when power came back and I turned my pc on I was presented with this error message: "Warning: /lib/modules/4.14.15-1-ARCH/modules.devname not found - ignoring. starting version 236.
    ERROR: resume: hibernation device 'UUID… not found.
    ERROR: device 'UUID…not found skipping fsck.
    mount: /new_root: can’t find 'UUID=… You are now being dropped into and emergency shell
    sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off
    rootfs#

and I’m stuck there cause I can’t type nothing on this “emergency shell”

If I guessing right due to the power failure system is kind of “broken”

Is there a way I can fix this without having to reinstall the system?

Any help/advice is really really very mych appreciated! Thnks in advance for your answers!

• @moltke said in System won't boot after power failure:

Warning: /lib/modules

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/8884/dropped-into-emergency-shell/2

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto Thanks for the answer and the link. About this: “You’ll need to boot Antergos iso and mount your partitions” I used minimal iso to install Antergos and I don’t remember but I don’t think there’s live mode within that one, is there? However, I do have some other distros’ iso images around, can I do that with an Ubuntu, Debian iso live?

You’ll need to boot Antergos iso and mount your partitions

The links should explain how to list and mount your partitions, but in case you still have doubts just ask here.

can I do that with an Ubuntu, Debian iso live?

yes if you know how to do it (the mount process). Using arch-based distros are easy due to arch-chroot script. (i use the script even under non arch-based because is so much easier)

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto I did the mount process following instructions from the link you provided with an Ubuntu live but when I restarted the pc the issue persists and still can’t boot into Antergos. “(i use the script even under non arch-based because is so much easier)” I tried to use the arch-chroot script but I get “command not found” so I used sudo chroot and I can run pacman -Syu but get some errors:
    could not open file: /etc/mtab not such file or directory
    could not determine filesystem mount points

Also, when doing grub-install get the error: grub-install: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?) And yes it is mounted. What am I missing? Shold I try with an Antergos live?

grub-install

you don’t need to install grub (i hope you didn’t break anything more), the tutorial was just for guide the user to mount the partitions and then run the commands sudo pacman -Syu and sudo mkinitcpio -P

arch-chroot script but I get “command not found”

Sure, the command is not available on linux, only under arch-based distros (i manually install in another linux)

Should I try with an Antergos live?

Yes please it’s gonna be easier for you i think.

Steps:
    Mount the partitions
    arch-chroot to partition
    run the 2 commands above
    unmount
    restart pc
    see if worked

Portergos site

I3wm

• I solved it! @fernandomaroto

I followed instructions from this post too https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1154121#p1154121 where after mounting and doing “arch-chroot” run “pacman -S linux” and then “grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”. I did that and it worked! And yes, I tried from an Antergos live and you were right it was way much easier, like I said I didn’t remember but minimal iso does provide live mode, no desktop though but a terminal which was all I needed.
    “you don’t need to install grub” Well, it was the final step in the mount process link where it said: “Reinstall grub:
    grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
    Where /dev/sdXn should be changed to what you get into your system”

“the tutorial was just for guide the user to mount the partitions and then run the commands sudo pacman -Syu and sudo mkinitcpio -P” I did run mkinitcpio -p but I got: “error: mkinitcpio -p needs an argument” or something like that. Although I now see you used a capitol “P” and checked the link and is also a capitol “P” while I used a lower “p” so maybe that stopped me from solving this earlier.

Anyway, it’s solved. To think I could’ve done this many hours ago but I was pretty sure there was no live mode available in the minimal iso lol I was even downloading the full iso lol Well I learned something new.
    Thank you so much for your time and help! 🙂

• @moltke

OK, i’m glad you fixed it.

Just let me explain:

I followed instructions from this post too https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1154121#p1154121

You didnt need, unless you broken grub too…

I only wanted you to use the tutorial so you could mount the partition. The link for the tutorial itself was about fixing grub, that’s why it recommended to install grub, but again not needed in your case.

Yes i usually type the command wth capital -P, it’s easier (i recommended it). Yes -p needs argument which is boring since i have 2 kernels here and i would need to use something like mkinitcpio -p linux linux-lts

I’ll make a specific tutorial and add to the wiki, the issue is happening more often now.

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto said in (SOLVED)System won't boot after power failure:

@moltke

OK, i’m glad you fixed it.

Just let me explain:

I followed instructions from this post too https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1154121#p1154121

You didnt need, unless you broken grub too…
    I only wanted you to use the tutorial so you could mount the partition. The link for the tutorial itself was about fixing grub, that’s why it recommended to install grub, but again not needed in your case.

Well, since this happened while updating and I did see that kernel install wasn’t completed cause the pc turned off due to the power failure I thought something had to be done about that as well as with grub, that’s why I didn’t question the “grub-install” step, but as you just exlained I see now that it wasn’t neccesary, maybe.

Yes i usually type the command wth capital -P, it’s easier (i recommended it). Yes -p needs argument which is boring since i have 2 kernels here and i would need to use something like mkinitcpio -p linux linux-lts

I did google about that -p needing an argument and didn’t find anything but links to package mkinitcpio, however, it’s clear to me now that having used Antergos live from the very beginning would have made things much easier.

I’ll make a specific tutorial and add to the wiki, the issue is happening more often now.

That’d be great! Again, thank you so much for your help!
    By the way, now when I open file manager I see “Antergos boot” under devices.

• @moltke said in (SOLVED)System won't boot after power failure:

Again, thank you so much for your help!

You’re welcome!

By the way, now when I open file manager I see “Antergos boot” under devices.

I really don’t know about it (i don’t use EFI, so i don’t have a boot partition.
    Are you sure you unmounted all the partitions after you finished running the commands? You can open a new thread on this new problem.

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto said

I really don’t know about it (i don’t use EFI, so i don’t have a boot partition.)

Neither do I. My pc is bios legacy as far as I know.

Are you sure you unmounted all the partitions after you finished running the commands?

Yes, I’m sure. I checked twice.

You can open a new thread on this new problem.

Is that a problem? I know it shouldn’t be there and that if not careful enough bad things could happen. I’ll google into it and after that I’ll decide whether or not to post a new thread on it. 🙂

• @fernandomaroto

I solved the issue of the “Antergos boot” showing under devices in thunar; after googling on that I found that editing /etc/fstab and comment it out does the trick. However, I’m curious because I just checked and my pc uses BIOS not efi.
    I did that running:
    “sudo efibootmgr” which shows “EFI variables are not supported on this system” Also found this script to find out whether or not you’re on EFI or BIOS:
    #!/bin/bash
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

Mine shows BIOS.

So, why do I have a separate boot partition? I installed Antergos using the default configuration. I could post a thread on that.

• @moltke said in (SOLVED)System won't boot after power failure:

So, why do I have a separate boot partition? I installed Antergos using the default configuration. I could post a thread on that.

I really don’t know, feel free to open a new thread, that’s not a problem at all.

Portergos site

I3wm

boot236 system98 power16 failure9 Posts 13Views 757
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.