• dualboot antergos problem

Hi everyone. Recently I installed dualboot of antergos with gnome dektop and antergos with cinnamon desktop. They are sharing swap and boot partition.
    The problem I had was grub. Grub somehow messed up after every system update on gnome or cinnamon and later, I could not get it to work even after reinstall. So I installed syslinux and everything is running happilly except one problem - both antergos-es (gnome desktop and cinnamon desktop) are sharing one boot partition and when updating one or another, it writes linux image in one directory, so if I update linux kernel only in gnome desktop, when I try to boot to “outdated” cinnamon desktop, it is using the “new” linux image and fails to load “kernel modules” and I can’t login to my account, since keyboard, touchpad and mouse are not responding. So everytime I’m updating one desktop and the update changes linux image, I need to chroot to other desktop and update that as well.

Is there any workaround to have both desktops use their “own” linux images, or is there any other solution to this problem?

Here is my setup:

# fdisk -l /dev/sda
    Disk /dev/sda: 465,8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xe8f0b609

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *         2048   1955172   1953125 953,7M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2         1955173 480470797 478515625 228,2G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3       480470798 498048922  17578125   8,4G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4       498048923 976768064 478719142 228,3G 83 Linux

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

where:
    /dev/sda1 is shared /boot partition
    /dev/sda2 is arch with gnome desktop
    /dev/sda3 is shared swap partition
    /dev/sda4 is arch with cinnamon desktop

syslinux.cfg:

LABEL arch
        MENU LABEL Arch Linux Cinnamon
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda4 rw
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL archfallback
        MENU LABEL Arch Linux Cinnamon Fallback
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda4 rw
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux-fallback.img

LABEL arch2
        MENU LABEL Arch Linux Gnome
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda2 rw
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL archfallback2
        MENU LABEL Arch Linux Gnome Fallback
        LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
        APPEND root=/dev/sda2 rw
        INITRD ../initramfs-linux-fallback.img

PS: I googled but I don’t know what to look for so I don’t know which results are relevant for my problem so if my problem is noob, please link me some relevant guides.
    PS2: sorry if topic is in wrong section

• @thehipso Did you do automatic partitioning or manual ?

• @thehipso
    Unfortunately sharing a boot partition is not a very good idea.

An easy solution is to use /dev/sda1 as a boot partition only for Gnome, and the Cinnamon would have its own /boot folder (files separated from /dev/sda1).

So, boot to Gnome, and give (terminal) commands, something like this:

sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
    sudo nano /mnt/etc/fstab
    # comment out the line that mounts /dev/sda1 to /boot, save, and exit nano
    sudo cp -a /boot/* /mnt/boot/
    sudo umount /mnt

Now you should not have a shared /boot partition anymore.

• @manuel said in dualboot antergos problem:

Unfortunately sharing a boot partition is not a very good idea.

@thehipso I would strongly recomment to follow @manuel 's solution!

• Thank you for all your answers

@jatin: manual

@manuel: thank you, I did that and I was waiting for new kernel to test it. So I updated antergos GNOME, and rebooted to antergos Cinnamon and when booting,it showed “Failed to load kernel modules” as before. So I guess I need to change something more? My guess is, I need to update my bootloader config? If yes, how to do it? I posted my syslinux config before and it haven’t changed.

• @thehipso

You’re right, you need to update your boot config, because the location of /boot in Cinnamon has changed from a partition to a subdirectory.
    Unfortunately I’m not familiar with syslinux so I have no experience about how to update that. :(

I’m using grub, and this is the way to do it in grub. In Gnome:

grub-install /dev/sda
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If you are willing to change from syslinux to grub, then you need to install packages grub and os-prober.
    But if not, then hopefully some syslinux expert here could help you further.

And as the last resort, you could reinstall both systems, but do not create any boot partitions (/boot folder will be automatically created to both systems). Swap partition is OK to share.
    But before reinstall, remember to create backups of anything important you may already have.

• @joekamprad
    I believe this is not UEFI but legacy boot.

• @joekamprad
    But many thanks for participating! :)

• I don’t want to install grub - it is always source of 90% of my problems (but it’s my fault, because of the sharing /boot partiton) and also syslinux is much easier to configurate, so I’ll stick with syslinux

so thank for answers, this can be marked as answered, because I found out that:
    from one syslinux (located in /dev/sda1) I can chainload syslinux located on another partition (that @manuel guided me to create it: /dev/sda4/boot/).
    So I need to install syslinux on the other boot (/dev/sda4/boot) partition and there have a config that says: “boot this kernel from this partition”. … I don’t know why I just can’t have in the first syslinux (/dev/sda1) something that says: “boot kernel from /dev/sda4/boot” life would be much easier but instead, you need to have a kernel in same partition as syslinux

But I decided to properly repartition my HDD (since as you see on my first post, I get these errors:

Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

and install fresh antergos.

thank you guys

dualboot13 syslinux1 Posts 11Views 545
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.