• Help me understand Cinnarch -\> Antergos

I found Cinnarch because I was specifcally looking for a linux distribution that met as many of my criteria as possible. I have been a long time Ubuntu user until Unity and Gnome 3 drove me away. I did a long stint with Kubuntu and don’t care for KDE. I tried Lubuntu but LXDE and XFCE are both just a little too spartan for my tastes. I found Mint with Cinnamon and absolutely love it. EXCEPT that I’m really getting tired of reinstalling every 6-9 months. I thought I had found my dream with Cinnarch that hit the sweet spot for me with the single exception of not being Debian (simply because I have a history of understanding with apt-get/aptitude/dpkg etc).

1. Rolling Release
    2. Cinnamon default
    3. Proprietary software by default (Flash, Java, codecs, proprietary video drivers etc)
    4. Debian/Apt based

Is Cinnamon not going to be the default moving forward? If not is it going to a super easy addition to replace the disaster that is Gnome 3? What about Nemo vs the now crippled Nautilus?

Please help me understand.

• I found Cinnarch because I was specifcally looking for a linux distribution that met as many of my criteria as possible. I have been a long time Ubuntu user until Unity and Gnome 3 drove me away. I did a long stint with Kubuntu and don’t care for KDE. I tried Lubuntu but LXDE and XFCE are both just a little too spartan for my tastes. I found Mint with Cinnamon and absolutely love it. EXCEPT that I’m really getting tired of reinstalling every 6-9 months. I thought I had found my dream with Cinnarch that hit the sweet spot for me with the single exception of not being Debian (simply because I have a history of understanding with apt-get/aptitude/dpkg etc).

1. Rolling Release
    2. Cinnamon default
    3. Proprietary software by default (Flash, Java, codecs, proprietary video drivers etc)
    4. Debian/Apt based

Is Cinnamon not going to be the default moving forward? If not is it going to a super easy addition to replace the disaster that is Gnome 3? What about Nemo vs the now crippled Nautilus?

Please help me understand.

• Gnome is our default desktop, but in our installer you can still choose Cinnamon.

Cinnamon will be installed with Nemo and all cinnamon related packages like cinnamon-screensaver or cinnamon-control-center. Gnome with Nautilus etc

Every desktop will install the best software we thought for him.

• Thank you for the reply but one more question.

Why the switch from cinnamon? Somewhere I saw mentioned a possible incompatibility between Cinnamon and a rolling release distro.

If I go with Antergos and choose Cinnamon, will I be causing myself issues down the road? And if not, then back to my original questions, what is the driving force behind the change from Cinnamon back stock Gnome?

• @“getut”:2wvysqrp said:

Thank you for the reply but one more question.

Why the switch from cinnamon? Somewhere I saw mentioned a possible incompatibility between Cinnamon and a rolling release distro.

If I go with Antergos and choose Cinnamon, will I be causing myself issues down the road? And if not, then back to my original questions, what is the driving force behind the change from Cinnamon back stock Gnome?[/quote:2wvysqrp]

[i:2wvysqrp]“Why the switch from cinnamon? Somewhere I saw mentioned a possible incompatibility between Cinnamon and a rolling release distro.”[/i:2wvysqrp]
    Yes, but since several arch and fedore devs solved, and it is in the Arch Repo, so it is supported

[i:2wvysqrp]"If I go with Antergos and choose Cinnamon, will I be causing myself issues down the road? "[/i:2wvysqrp]
    Not, Cinnamon is supported.

[i:2wvysqrp]“what is the driving force behind the change from Cinnamon back stock Gnome?”[/i:2wvysqrp]
    Because, Cinnamon based to Gnome, and all apps what installed under Cinnamon will works under Gnome.
    And Gnome the most liked/supported DE.

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

• I’m not sure what the issue was, but when I first installed Antergos (with Cinnamon) I had issues setting up my login (GDM) screen and got an error something like “GDM is not the default display manager.” If you’re not into changing the GDM themes, or use another display manager I don’t have anything to say. However, I was able to work around this issue by re-installing Antergos with Gnome and then installing Cinnamon from the arch repo via

sudo pacman -S cinnamon cinnamon-control-center cinnamon-screensaver muffin nemo

Then rebooted -> on login screen -> Session -> Cinnamon -> enter credentials -> select “make Cinnamon default”

This worked for me, but may not be an issue for you. Also, Arch/Antergos uses “pacman” rather than “aptitude” or “apt.” Not sure if that’s a deal breaker for you or if you’ve figured it out by now; but just a heads up.

AsusN53SV-XV1
    Thanks to Antergos for selling me on Arch. It's been real.

Posts 6Views 2181