• root needs a fast disk and many GB?

I was reading some forum posts around the net people saying that root doesnt need a lot of space and even a usb disk is enough for it etc.
    So far I was not paying attention to this and I had an old evo SSD as root and with my fast nvme disks I have created a stripe raid disk partition 1TB as home.

After a while noticed that I ended up with a 70GB root partition and all my applications are installed and running from root partition.
    ( all applications are installed and running from folder /usr/ which located in root partition.)

Well I am confused a bit and I dont know if I am missing something or is actually good to have root in a fast disk?( any suggestions will be much appreciated)
    (I guess I have to format everything again and add root partition to a fast hard disk so as the applications installed will launch faster.)

Thanks
    Kyrisk

• / aka root is the … as it says root of the system… and as it will not need that “much” space you will be fine with 35GB but if you want to install and test much software or playing with VM’s e.t.c. you will need more space…

On speed i would say the opposite… /home is mostly a data storage and do not need to be cutting edge fast… root / is what needs to be fast-disk to get a better performance for system (systemroot) /usr/bin /var … as every programm will be loaded from there…

At home you only have configurations and some cache and thumbnail files… the rest is stored data like pictures videos music and documents, o.k. if you have big data of pictures or music and want to create a database like for musicplayer or photomanagement it will also be faster to create this one, but this is done once ;)

• @kyrisk
    Agree with Joe. In general, files that you use very much should be on a fast disk, and files that you don’t use much can be on a slower disk.

So Antergos system should be on a fast disk, and many or most of the applications, too. Remember that during boot the system reads (and writes) many files. And every program you start probably uses many additional files that should be on a fast disk.
    And it is easier that the whole Antergos operating system with its applications are in one place.

Your personal data most often can be on a slower disk, unless you read and write them a lot constantly.

• indeed mr. @manuel ;)

I have a fast ssd for system and i do install all partitions there, but i do bind data like music/video/pictures/documents from my spinning hd to /home so i do have my personal data otside the system itself.

#binding sdc1 (data) to home
    #/dev/sdc1	/mnt/daten	ext4	defaults	0 5
    UUID=3fbb8487-XXXXXXXX-a965-15394170ff89	/mnt/daten      ext4    defaults        0 5
    /mnt/daten/Bilder	/home/killajoe/Bilder	auto	bind	0 0
    /mnt/daten/Dokumente	/home/killajoe/Dokumente  auto    bind    0 0
    /mnt/daten/Videos	/home/killajoe/Videos  auto    bind    0 0
    /mnt/daten/Musik	/home/killajoe/Musik  auto    bind    0 0

also very handy on a reinstalling, where i can erase the ssd complete (secure erase) and after instal i copy my fstab back to system and my personal data is aviable…
    configs are saved on github …

• @joekamprad
    I have quite similar setup. But instead of having pictures etc. mounted in /etc/fstab, I’ve made symbolic links from my $HOME folder to my data folders, such as (using your case as an example)

ln -s /mnt/daten/Bilder $HOME/Bilder

I don’t mean this would be any better or worse, for example I have to re-link them in case of a system wipe. But showing only the way I’m used to deal with this. And of course, the /mnt/daten should still be in /etc/fstab.

root23 disk12 needs10 fast3 Posts 5Views 449
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.