• Antergos is one of the absolut best!

I started with Linux 1999 and har tried almost all of them, I have even tried the *BSD,s PC-BSD FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

I had Gentoo in 8 years and Slackware in 4 years and I have a pc with Arch that I had in 6-7 years. Almost all others I tried was either bloat or buggy or ugly or something else wrong with it.

Then I come along with Antergos it was just a Lucky Strike It was love at first sight, I know it is based on Arch that I love but so much simpler to install, I don´t have the time thats why I abandoned Gentoo after 8 years.

If all of them using M$ with it´s sick policy that everything should cost a bunch of money, discover Antergos they will migrate to.

Keep up the good work I know we are many people that love Arch and if they came across Antergos they will love it to.

Thanks from Bengt in Sweden.

• I started with Linux 1999 and har tried almost all of them, I have even tried the *BSD,s PC-BSD FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

I had Gentoo in 8 years and Slackware in 4 years and I have a pc with Arch that I had in 6-7 years. Almost all others I tried was either bloat or buggy or ugly or something else wrong with it.

Then I come along with Antergos it was just a Lucky Strike It was love at first sight, I know it is based on Arch that I love but so much simpler to install, I don´t have the time thats why I abandoned Gentoo after 8 years.

If all of them using M$ with it´s sick policy that everything should cost a bunch of money, discover Antergos they will migrate to.

Keep up the good work I know we are many people that love Arch and if they came across Antergos they will love it to.

Thanks from Bengt in Sweden.

• Thanks for the kind words. We are glad you are enjoying Antergos

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• I fully agree with the threadstarter.

[b:2pf3zceb][i:2pf3zceb]What I used before Antergos[/i:2pf3zceb][/b:2pf3zceb]

Until 2008 I used solely Windows 2000. From 2008 until 2012 I worked with Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 in parallel. 2012 my laptop with XP broke. That left me with an ancient computer from 2003. Ubuntu wasn’t my cup of tea anymore after the introduction of Unity, but my ancient computer neither had a DVD burner nor the possibility to boot from USB. Due to these limitations I sticked at Ubuntu 12.04 until 2014. In February I switched to Linux Mint Debian Mate (LMDE) after buying a new computer. I liked the rolling release idea. But I still had to use Lubuntu as a second OS in order to get DVDs played. Because for some strange reason LMDE played DVDs in a lower frame rate.

[i:2pf3zceb][b:2pf3zceb]How I met Antergos[/b:2pf3zceb][/i:2pf3zceb]

I bought a laptop (a Thinkpad Edge E145) in March, I could not install LMDE, so I ended up with SolydX, but was not very happy with it due to the insufficient sound, which worked, but it was simply not loud enough. I read from Antergos on distrowatch four weeks ago. A rolling release distro with Mate on board

[i:2pf3zceb][b:2pf3zceb]The installation[/b:2pf3zceb][/i:2pf3zceb]

It took some time, but it went smoothly. The ALT+TAB functionality was working extremely slow out of the box. It took roughly 2 seconds to switch to another program. After some days I found the setting to change this, I found it just by chance. One has to “deactivate preview in ALT+TAB” in order to accelerate it. I guess, that the german language pack is still a construction area, my menu is a german-english mixture. I don’t mind. I am happy, that Antergos offers Mate by default, because it is by far my favourite desktop environment.

[b:2pf3zceb][i:2pf3zceb]How Antergos superseded my other distros[/i:2pf3zceb][/b:2pf3zceb]

On my desktop I still had LMDE and Lubuntu. But under LMDE the computer frequently slowed down systematically after browsing the web. In the beginning I did not realise it fully, because my previous computer from 2003 was very slow. But more and more I became aware of the issue. For instance the blowfish benchmark increased by a factor of 2.5.

The only workaround was a reboot. That was of course not acceptable in the long run. My problem description in the official forum is still unanswered after almost two weeks:

[url:2pf3zceb]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=170449[/url:2pf3zceb]

On top of that under Lubuntu the problem occurred too, especially after watching videos. But the problem never occurred with Antergos on my laptop. Is it simply the newer kernel or is it a Debian issue? I have no idea, but not slowing down became the killer feature of Antergos.

I prepared the transition slowly. First I installed all the needed programs on my laptop. The Arch User Repository is great and offers bleeding edge software. Sometimes I had to be flexible. I found equivalent - and sometimes better - solutions for all my needs. Then I made a backup of my desktop. Finally I installed Antergos Mate on my desktop too. This time I wanted to reformat the harddisk in order to remove LMDE and Lubuntu. Surprisingly the Live-USB had problems. I used a Debian Live-USB in order to format and partition the harddisk. After that I installed Antergos inheriting the debian partitions. Everything went smoothly. Since then my computer didn’t slow down anymore. Mission accomplished!

[i:2pf3zceb][b:2pf3zceb]What I am using under Antergos[/b:2pf3zceb][/i:2pf3zceb]

[list:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]chess (Scid, Stockfish, Raptor)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]statistics (R, RKWard, RStudio)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]web (Firefox)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]watching DVDs (VLC)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]office (LibreOffice)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]music (Xnoise)[/*:m:2pf3zceb]
    [*:2pf3zceb]and last not least PacmanXG in order to install updates and all the mentioned programs except of Stockfish, which I compiled myself in order to get the most recent version[/*:m:2pf3zceb][/list:u:2pf3zceb]

[b:2pf3zceb][i:2pf3zceb]Conclusion[/i:2pf3zceb][/b:2pf3zceb]

Patience paid off. No more dualboots

Posts 4Views 1298