• looking for packages that depend on a specific package

I am trying to find what on my machine uses the package called “conan”. I tried:

pacman -Qi conan

To look at what it is Required By, but this is what I got back:

Required By     : None
    Optional For    : None
    Conflicts With  : None
    Replaces        : None
    Installed Size  : 6.37 MiB
    Packager        : Unknown Packager
    Build Date      : Wed 27 Dec 2017 09:52:54 AM MST
    Install Date    : Wed 27 Dec 2017 09:52:54 AM MST
    Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package

Kind of funny, but no help. I believe Discord is using it, but I would like to see if anything else is. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Ryan

• @YeeP Hi!
    You can search inside pamac, right click the package and look at details, it may help you.

• @YeeP said in looking for packages that depend on a specific package:

I am trying to find what on my machine uses the package called “conan”.

It’s not an answer to your question yet: To get the full list of all packages, on which a specific package depends on (requires, or descending dependencies), use the command:

pactree [pkgname]

The answer to your question is: To get the full list of all packages, which depend on a specific package (required by, or ascending dependencies), use the command:

pactree --reverse [pkgname]

Pactree is one of a half-a-dozen of extremely useful pacman helpers. Helpers are installed by default along with pacman, are always available, don’t require a separate installation.

Pamac, octopi and similar graphical frontends don’t list AUR packages dependencies. Pactree does list them. Conan is an AUR package.

A packages tree, returned by direct pactree [pkgname] command, is usually rather big.

A reversed tree, returned by pactree --reverse [pkgname] command, may be long, short, or be absent at all. It depends on how the package, being investigated on, was installed. If the command returns nothing - i.e., returns an empty reversed tree - it means that an AUR package was installed by hand. The package is not required by other system packages.

In your case, pactree conan will return a long tree. Conan package requires many other packages.

On the other hand, pactree --reverse conan will most probably return nothing. It was probably installed by hand, by you, not as a dependency of any other package(s).

• @just thank you for the great description. I typically use yaourt for installs, but for the discord install, I did have to manually install some packages. Every time I have to update conan, I run into a dependency issue because I have a couple of python packages that are passed the required version for conan (aka they are a newer version that what is required). I just need to do some research on those python packages and conan itself so I can come up with a solution.

Thanks again for your description of those tools.

Posts 4Views 410
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.