• telegram-desktop can only be started as root

Hello,

since yesterday my Telegram Desktop installation does not work anymore. I noticed the problem when telegram was no longer started automatically at system startup.
    I tried to solve the problem by deleting the config files and reinstalling the package, but this didn’t work. When I start it via terminal, I get this output:

QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplay'

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed

(telegram-desktop:2988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
    Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

but when I start it as root, it starts with no problems.

I hope one of you can help me with this.
    Thank you in advance,
    – Talvi

Edit: the last line of the terminal output means: segmentation fault (core dumped)

• what version do you have installed?

(ha ha auf deutsch kann ich hier nicht antworten ;))

And may you running on wayland?

• I have current version 1.2.6-4 installed and my system is up-to-date as well.
    As far as I know, I’m still running on xorg and not a wayland.

The strange thing is that the problem was not caused by an update, but appeared later… I just don’t know what I might have done in that time, which explains why.

(ja, ich dachte mir, im englischen Forum finde ich vielleicht eher eine Antwort als im deutschen ;) )

• meistens antworte ich hier sowieso ;)

community/telegram-desktop
    community/telegram-qt
    aur/telegram-desktop-beta-bin
    aur/telegram-desktop-bin
    aur/telegram-desktop-bin-dev
    aur/telegram-desktop-customq
    aur/telegram-desktop-dev
    aur/telegram-desktop-git
    aur/telegram-desktop-patched
    aur/telegram-desktop-systemqt-notoemoj

There are some options for telegram ;)

• I use rambox
    I know its not a fix but a good alternate app
    Plus get whatsapp with rambox
    Works well 😎

• @joekamprad

There are some options for telegram ;)

sure, I meant communty/telegram-desktop. Since it was added to the official arch repositories a few weeks ago, I didn’t use the AUR packages anymore, but maybe I will install one of them again and wait until the next release, and hope that the problem then doesn’t exist anymore.

@wayneward
    thanks for the note, I tried rambox some time ago, but I didn’t really enjoyed it. The native client integrates much better into the system. But as an temporary solution it might be a good choice for me.

• Yes i used to use the real application and switched to rambox when i moved to spain as its all whatsapp !! But i do enjoy having facebook messenger - telegram and whatsapp in one tidy app - had it running on two machines quiet comfortably
    Hope you fix your issue though 😎

• no bugs reported with your issue at archbugs:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=5&string=telegram-desktop

b.t.w. runs without error on new installed Antergos:

0_1515873617301_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-01-13 20-59-40.png

• Telegram-desktop starts without problems here, too.
    Note that I’m not really using it, but only started it (as a non-root user).

• Can you find the config directory it makes and rename it im sure be something like .telegram and see if its a permission problem on the configuration file / folder … a quick easy way…
    Settings
    Create new user
    Log on as new user
    Launch telegram

See if telegram needs root if it does then its a bug for sure id remove and reinstall
    If if doesnt then its permission problem on a file or folder for the user …

• I seen this can you try

sudo chown -R $(id -u:$(id -g) /home/iguarna/.local/

• Thank you for your answers. It’s quite strange. I tested it like @wayneward suggested, by creating a new user and starting the client without configuration files, but I got the same error. But when I installed it on another PC it could start without problems, so I assume that something is screwed up in my setup. As a hotfix I have now installed the .tar.xz package from the website, so it works for now.
    Thanks again for your advice.

• Installed latest version 1.2.6.4 https://desktop.telegram.org/changelog

Runs normal, with my user, no need for root.

• Awesome always good to get a fix
    I had similiar with teamviewer and fixed up with the tar from the website 😎

• Four days ago the package was patched and now the problem doesn’t exist anymore. Thanks again for your advice.

• Ma ya reinstall would have solved the problem too, also before the patch…

Posts 16Views 1050
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.