• Not able to enter password when opening GUI program requiring password

Hi gurus!
    I am not sure if this is the correct forum. Please advice me to the correct one if not…

I am using the last updates of Antergos Cinnamon edition

My problem: when opening a GUI program which requires the user password (like gufw or system update) I can only see a short flash of the GUI password prompt and the box seems to shake the same way as it normally does when a wrong password is entered. The shaking ends up with a “Authentication failed” message, or in the case of gufw, the password box disappears and the gufw interface is not opened.
    When opening gufw or pamac-updater using sudo from the command line, everything works fine.
    It seems like the password box for GUI root applications is somewhat broken.

Any ideas?

Best regards
    Vidar Evenrud Seeberg

• first warmly welcome at antergos forum!

right section for issue here as it is related to cinnamon so far…

i am not sure how this keyring stuff is working inside cinnamon… bur you can try installing gksu sudo pacman -S gksu and open it like this:
    gksu gufw

pamac-updater do not need to start as root…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thank you for your warm welcome and reply @joekamprad.

After installing gksu and opening from terminal using sudo gufw I get the Authentication GUI prompt. When entering the password gufw opens successfully.

The problem occurs though, when opening the firewall from the menu down left. Then I get a quick shaking “Authentication failed” window for about a second and then both thhis window disappears and no gufw appears. Earlier I got a GUI password prompt (some other layout than the gksu-box when running from command line). Also when trying to update the system using pamac system tray, I get the same shaking “Authentication failed” box ending in the message “Authentication failed”

Any more ideas?

• @globus68
    Hi!
    i’m not sure but i guess cinnamon uses polkit-gnome, so check if you have it installed, or if you disabled it.
    That’s responsible for the password window appear when a GUI app requires password

Maybe you’ll need to install gnome-keyring too (i don’t know):
    sudo pacman -S polkit-gnome gnome-keyring

You can also manually run gnome polkit to check if it’s working with:
    /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 & eval $(gnome-keyring-daemon -s --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh,gpg) &

Then try launching your program again and see if the password box will pop up.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thank you for replying @fernandomaroto.

I did the install you suggested, but the polkit manual run resulted in “An authentication agent already exists for the given subject”

It came to my mind I recently ran a bad command in order to get a node package to install successfully. This is what I ran:
    sudo chown -R $(whoami) $(npm config get prefix)/{lib/node_modules,bin,share}. Please don’t ask me why…

This screwed up a lot, but I managed to restore things I think, including the setuid bit. I also think I successfully have updated the system using pamac system tray after I messed up… But, just thought I should mention it… Probably I have ruined my system and should look forward to installing Antergos again. Loving Antergos by the way!

• @globus68 said in Not able to enter password when opening GUI program requiring password:

I did the install you suggested, but the polkit manual run resulted in “An authentication agent already exists for the given subject”

that means that gnome-polkit is already running, which is good.

sudo chown -R $(whoami)

You have changed ownership from some files, most likely from root user to your_user, yes that breaks file permissions what explain the problem. I dont understand what that command did, so let’s wait if someone else can help you with that.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Yep, I changed the ownership of some files, but I managed to get them back to root and also reset the setuid correctly. But I may have missed some files in the restore process, so probably I messed up more than I first thought.
    I think I look forward to a fresh install of Antergos.

Thanks for helping out, anyway. Keep up the good work!

Vidar

• @globus68 said in Not able to enter password when opening GUI program requiring password:

I think I look forward to a fresh install of Antergos.

sounds like the most easy idea 😉

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

password24 gui13 opening6 enter3 Posts 8Views 167
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.