• DE choice

Hi, i am a computer science student and i want to install Antergos on my laptop, but i need help with the choice of a desktop eviroment.
    What i require is a desktop enviroment that is lightweight and with a first class multi-monitor support for programming sessions and slideshows (for exams).
    Suggestions?

• I think the multi-monitor support is in an app, so is slideshows (Libreoffice) but from what I sense from your needs, I think openbox will be the best option for you. It is highly configurable and very lightweight.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.

• @TheUnderground95 said in DE choice:

desktop enviroment that is lightweight

XFCE or MATE

and with a first class multi-monitor support for programming sessions and slideshows (for exams).

I don’t know the best answer to this.

• Actually I installed Antergos Gnome on a small, several years old Lenovo netbook, and it performed well. I do believe it’s lightweight enough to work well on each not-really-ancient machine. And it has no problem with dual monitor setup.

Take a look at my portfolio

• ya i would do Gnome as well since i know they have good dual monitor support. see if the DE is too heavy for you.

i never setup dual monitor so not sure who else has good support for that.

• @piotr and there we go. thanks for the shot. ya always heard Gnome has good support for that.

• Thanks to everyone

• Hi,
    i work everyday with a two monitors setup (scribus svn, inkscape, rawtherapee, gimp) and gnome is problem free for me.

Roby

• The best thing you can do is to test a few Desktop Environments and check what is best for your daily use. One day with each D.E. should be enough.

For example I use GNOME and I’m happy with it, it suits my needs. But this is me, you can have different needs or like anything else, just try a few ones and stick with what you prefer most.

• The DE selection is largely subjective. I’ll be testing Deepin on my old netbook today. I’ll check how it works with external monitor connected, and let you know.

• @piotr
    I’m very curious how your experiment will work. I have an 11 year old Macbook Pro with the first generation core2duo and 2 gigs of RAM over here and it can’t run Mate and above on that one. When I do install them, they are very laggy and with Gnome, KDE,Deepin I also experience screen tear. It runs happily with XFCE,i3wm and Openbox. LXDE and LXQT run well on it also, but I don’t really like those, although LXQT has potential, but it misses something for me. Don’t know exactly what, it’s more in the sense of feeling that I miss something.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.

• i3wm

Is it based just on keyboard shortcuts or I could use it with just a mouse too? I was seeing some videos about it, but everyone seems like a hacker and just uses keyboard shortcuts.
    (I use GNOME so I can do everything I need with a mouse)

• @ssspacez
    It’s keyboard driven, but you get the hang of it once you’re in it. If you’re interested, try @fernandomaroto 's Portergos. It’s provided with some essential commands on the desktop. He just uploaded a new ISO.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

• @ssspacez https://github.com/killajoe/configs you can take a look to my screencast of a configured i3-gnome desktop

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @Bryanpwo said in DE choice:

I’m very curious how your experiment will work.

Well, I failed installing @Keegan 's project on my testing netbook again, for some mysterious reason, so I gave a try to the antergos-deepin-meta package. It took ages for it to start for the first time, but there were no troubles with connecting the secondary monitor. Just plug and play.

0_1515367560958_20180108_000924_HDR.jpg

A small note, dunno if relevant: my latest game, written in Python, detects the screen dimensions to fit its window into it. I expected it to see the primary screen, which is HD, but - to my surprise - it would detect the secondary, full HD screen.

• @piotr
    Wow, I’m really surprised it worked, congratulations! Deepin taking a long time at first boot, is caused by Deepin, not by your hardware or Antergos. Somehow it checks if the installed system is up to date and that takes a long time.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

Deepin taking a long time at first boot, is caused by Deepin, not by your hardware or Antergos.

I suspected so, since it happened to me while previous Deepin installations.

• Just another question, does Deepin run smooth on your netbook?

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

does Deepin run smooth on your netbook?

Perfectly flawless. But so does Gnome. There’s some Celeron (2 cores) and 4 GB RAM inside. (Lenovo IdeaPad S210 Touch). I only replaced 500 GB hdd with 120 ssd.

choice4 Posts 20Views 1347
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.