• Dual keyboard setup when installing?

Hello everyone and sorry if this question/request is expressed before, but when searching I wasn’t able to find a solution in the millions of possible hits 😞

I am Greek, thus I need to install the Greel keyboard, which does not provide ascii characters. Thus, after setting my keyboard, it was impossible to type a proper username, password, you name it… I had to go back, set an ascii keyboard (i.e. US keyboard) in order for the installation to proceed smoothly.

In other distributions, when I ask for Greek keyboard (I suspect they do the same for any non-ascii keyboard), they install my variant, as well as silently the US keyboard, which I can switch between them. In sophisticated distributions, there is also an extra screen which let me choose how I want to switch the keyboard.

How can I achieve similar funtionality with antergos?

• @teras said in Dual keyboard setup when installing?:

sophisticated distributions

🙂 Antergos is even more sophisticated ! 😉

Depending on your choosen DE (Desktop Environment) you can choose more then one keyboard layout, and a switcher is aviable for all bigger DE’s also The Login Manager (lightdm) has a switcher for keyboard.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @joekamprad I am sure it is!

I am missing something, that’s why I ask.

To make things more clear, I am talking about install time, when CnChi is running. There is no obvious way to add a second keyboard - especially if you are a newcomer.

• Live environment is a almost complete GNOME Desktop so you can do this the same way as on installed system:

0_1515068052235_keyboard-settings-gnome.png

you can add a second keyboardlayout and have a switcher left side in the top panel…

how to add system logs:

• Yes it is possible to add a keyboard layout to the live cd.
    I am not talking about the live cd though.

I am talking about the installation procedure, through CnChi.
    There is no way to add two keyboard layouts, which is a requirement in order for the installed system to work properly.
    Even the method you propose, to add keyboards manually, is not enough. If I set the keyboard of the installer to Greek, then there is NO way to change the kaybord to the US, even if I click the menu from the top bar.

IMHO this is a problem with the installer, which makes it unusable for locales not compatible with an ASCII-like keyboard.

• @teras i will report it as a bug now, thanks for contributing!

@developers

how to add system logs:

• Hi,

Just so I understand it…

What does cnchi is change to the keymap you selected. So, if you select a Greek keymap, then that keymap is “activated”, so you can use your selected keymap to enter user’s information details.

What I do not get is why you can’t enter your details using the Greek keymap. Can you explain this, please?

Oh, there is a section in Greek here, maybe they understand what you’re talking about and maybe, just maybe, they have a solution…

https://forum.antergos.com/category/37/greek

@anarch

• @karasu & @teras , if I got the issue correctly, the system was installed with greek for both system & keyboard language?
    If so:

• Select greek as system language.
    • Select english as keybord layout,
      proceed with the installation and install the greek keyboard post-install .
      Many users choose greek in both fields (system & keyboard language) but having set a password & username in latin, find it impossible to enter their system.
      An easy workaround to this:
    • Press CTRL+ALT+F2 (to enter a tty screen)
    • Type passwd username (username can be ommited)
    • Change username & password to numbers
    • Enter your system with your new credentials and make any changes you want to languages.

I only wish I got the issue correct.
    Cheers

*** There s alco a facebook group, Antergos Greece

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @karasu The system is unusable with only Greek keyboard. It does not support latin characters at all, making it mpossible to properly support login and other basic functions.

The usual procedure is to always install at least two keyboards, the greek alongside (usually) the US keyboard.

Actually in half distributions the US keyboard is silently added by default, when the Greek is installed (and swapped with alt-shift), or let the user choose the secondary keyboard and how it is changed (in more detailed distributions).

• @anarch I have no problem to post install Greek keyboards, but I consider myself an expert who is not afraid of installing Linux from scratch.

I love the way Antergos is going, and if you want communities with non-ascii based keyboards to jump on the ship, these problems should be solved. 😞

• @teras , I can see your point and I guess the devs will take it into consideration.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch : “Many users choose greek in both fields (system & keyboard language) but having set a password & username in latin, find it impossible to enter their system.”

thats the problem, and i would say too ,that a casual user do not get it working on a new installed system, and will get pissed off, in a way.

how to add system logs:

• You’re trying to tell that Antergos live should change the iso language settings on the go? That way password would be created using Greek or whatever language the user chooses?

EDIT: I just noticed that lightdm can’t change language (at least by default i fon’t see any buttom), maybe if you use another Login Manager (like sddm) you can change language to write your password.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• No, this doesn’t have to do with language settings, only keyboard settings.

What I propose is, either

• when the user adds a Greek keyboard (maybe in other similar languages as well), to silently also add the US keyboard (and somewhere note it this change) and use the usual shortcut to exchange it (i.e. alt-shift)
    • or if any of these special keyboards are selected, provide two more screens, one to select a secondary keyboard (i.e. US) and a second to change the group-change shortcut.

The easiest is I believe #1 option, because the #2 might produce equally noise and frustration. Btw also in Windows they prefer option #1

• @teras ok, i guess that’s related with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ antergos usually call the file there 00-keyboard.conf.

On my brazilian pc the line is
    Option "XkbLayout" "br"
    but i could add to support english too
    Option "XkbLayout" "br,us"

To switch between layouts i could use
    setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle "br,us"
    setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle "us,br"

OBS: I agree that this could be done by default, adding “us” to all installed system

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Hi,

Sorry guys, I still don’t get it. Please, bear with me.

Many users choose greek in both fields (system & keyboard language) but having set a password & username in latin, find it impossible to enter their system.

Maybe here’s the problem. Cnchi changes to whatever keyboard layout has been chosen “on the fly”. So, if user selects Greek in keyboard layout screen, then, in the user’s screen, it should use the Greek layout to set username and password.

This has worked all the time here when I changed from English to Spanish keyboard layouts.

Are you telling me that it does not work when using other keyboard layouts like the Greek one?

• @fernandomaroto Thank you for the tips, but the discussion is not how to set my system - I can do that 😄 The discussion is for new users who want to install Antergos.

@karasu The problem is that the Greek layout does not have at all any Latin characters - only Greek characters. So, the user will stuck to Greek characters from then on, which might be a problem. For example when it comes to create a user account, the username should be in Latin characters - probably the password too. This is not possible.

This is different with Spanish or German or French e.g., where all latin characters are available, together with some special language-specific letters.

• @teras said

The problem is that the Greek layout does not have at all any Latin characters - only Greek characters. So, the user will stuck to Greek characters from then on, which might be a problem. For example when it comes to create a user account, the username should be in Latin characters - probably the password too. This is not possible.
    This is different with Spanish or German or French e.g., where all latin characters are available, together with some special language-specific letters.

Exactly that, @karasu

• @anarch said in Dual keyboard setup when installing?:

For example when it comes to create a user account, the username should be in Latin characters - probably the password too. This is not possible.

Of course! I can’t use specific characters of my language when I create the user… but I never realized that this would be a real problem when using a totally different alphabet. My bad.

1. There is no problem in always installing the us layout along with the selected one. I can do this.

2. There should be a way in the user screen to change the keyboard layout (from selected to US and vice versa) so the user can enter his/her username and password… maybe a checkbox? (many new users won’t know about alt-shift combo).

My last question…How do you guys manage to login then? On boot the Greek layout is selected, thus you can’t enter your username and password, do you? Are you telling me that each time you boot you must change to the us keyboard layout, enter your password and then change again to the Greek layout?

installing95 keyboard59 dual31 Posts 24Views 1025
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.