• Antergos Heating up alot.

I am using antergos since 5 months. Its really fantastic but while playing any kind of video its heating up alot,
    Searched for problem several times since then on google didn’t find any feasible answer which can solve my problem…
    My Laptop is Dell e6530 Equipped with Nvidia Quadro NVS.
    thank you

• You could try Thermald, it works great on my laptop. You can download it with Pamac, you only have to enable it in the terminal with:

sudo systemctl enable thermald

• I Tried it but. it didn’t solved my problem

• Have you tried Thermald before, or just after my suggestion? You really have to give it some time, in my case it was around two days, before it really kicked in.

• @Bryanpwo said in Antergos Heating up alot.:

Thermald

thermald is a Linux daemon used to prevent the overheating of platforms. This daemon monitors temperature and applies compensation using available cooling methods.

By default, it monitors CPU temperature using available CPU digital temperature sensors and maintains CPU temperature under control, before HW takes aggressive correction action.
    If there is a skin temperature sensor in thermal sysfs, then it tries to keep skin temperature under 45C.

installation alone do not do anything, you need to enable the service:

sudo systemctl start thermald.service
    sudo systemctl enable thermald.service

and check if it is running without error:

systemctl status thermald.service

https://01.org/linux-thermal-daemon/documentation/introduction-thermal-daemon

• Hi…i am a new user here. I would very much like to use the nouveau-driver, but its powermanagement features are non-existent and 3D-support is kinda nice if you want to steal some windows-souls. Not to mention that my battery lets me work for 3 hours instead of 2.

pcb assembly

• @NealXu do you have a question? then open a thread and just ask it, do not forget ton describe as you can (stuff like wich DE you are using and info about hardware)
    And welcome at Antergos Forum :) we do not know stupid question here, and will help with what we get!!!

• @Bryanpwo I used it earlier. it worked fine… as I said laptop is heating up while playing any kind of multimedia.
    when I play/run any multimedia. gnome-shell and gapplication.service consumes 60%+ cpu usage which is causing heat.

• @joekamprad x
    thank you for help status is running after @Bryanpwo instruction but its still heating up while playing any multimedia/video. htop is showing that gnome-shell and gapplication.service consumes 60%+ cpu usage
    That cpu usage is causing heat.
    As I mention about Nvidia card so When I search about gnome-shell cpu usage.
    One thread mentioned this link and I am not getting it.
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=225610
    https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/commit/?id=383ba566bd7c2a76d0856015a66e47caedef06b6

• @NealXu thankyou for suggestion. it seems something interesting to me. so let me try it.

• https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/

to check the available power states and the current setting for the first card in your system, run:
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate

and it looks like you get NVIDIA Optimus Technology powered hardware? so intel-nvidia hybrid system what will need to setup bumblebee:
    NVIDIA®NVS™5200M (GDDR5 1GB) Discrete Graphic with Optimus
    https://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/

check this with :
    lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

• @joekamprad
    output of 1st: cat: /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate: No such file or directory

output of lspci -vnn | grep ‘’’[030[02]]’
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] [10de:0dfc] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

• @zaynulabdin313 said in Antergos Heating up alot.:

output of lspci -vnn | grep ‘’’[030[02]]’
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] [10de:0dfc] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

then this is may be the problem, it is a optimus hybrid system.

• @joekamprad
    Yes it is optimus hybrid system.
    i tried everything on link you have provided and analysed for 2 days. my problems remained same . while playing any kind of multimedia it reachs around 80’C in just 5 minutes. I really want to get rid of this.

• @zaynulabdin313 said in Antergos Heating up alot.:

Dell e6530

overheating can be caused also by dust inside the ventilation system…

So you are now on nvidia peoperitary driver and getting bumblebee working?

• yes bumblebee is working but there is something which interrupts switching of intel to nvidia and turn off nvidia . card

alot1 heating1 Posts 16Views 1363
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.