• Where's Deepin for installation?

A few months ago I installed Antergos with Deepin desktop. So far it’s been a very nice desktop experience. But the last time I was going to installed Antergos on another hard drive Deepin was not on the list during the install. Is it gone? What happened to it?

• @Keegan, the maintainer of the Deepin DE, has branched off. Here you can find more information: Deepin. It is now called RebornOS
    The DE uses Cnchi as installer.

• Good to know. Thanks

• Which version did you use, I’ve downloaded the latest iso a few days ago and Deepin was on it.

• deepin is still one of official installable DE 's for Antergos!
    0_1514928464236_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-01-02 22-23-15.jpg

• @joekamprad said in Where's Deepin for installation?:

deepin is still one of official installable DE 's for Antergos!

True, but as is mentioned on the Antergos Community page:

NOTICE: Antergos-Deepin is no longer actively maintained as I have branched off from Antergos to form my own distro, Reborn OS<

If you want to be sure to stay up to date it is probably better to use the new RebornOS.

• @axioma That’s not entirely true. Reborn has certain apps and tweaks in it’s DE’s that’s maintained by Keegan and other developers.
    When you install Deepin within the Antergos ISO, you’ll get the plain Deepin DE without Keegan’s tweaks and like other DE’s Antergos offers, it is roling so Deepin wil stay up to date.

• NOTICE: Antergos-Deepin is no longer actively maintained as I have branched off from Antergos to form my own distro, Reborn OS

That notice there discusses my former community edition, ‘Antergos-Deepin’. I think @karasu is still trying to support Deepin for Antergos, but it is true you will get pretty much a vanilla desktop with none of my updated tweaks to it. Basically, it seems one or two packages have been added since I left, but nothing else has changed. (I still check up on how Antergos is doing, as it remains one of my favorite distros EVER. The @developers are totally amazing!!!)

So in a nutshell, Deepin DE is still supported by Antergos, but you are more likely to get better help and support for it (as well as updates and fixes) over at Reborn OS. Both options are great, and I completely understand if you stick to the Antergos version. In fact, I am writing this from Antergos Deepin right now!So in the end, like everything with Linux, it is truly up to you and your personal preferences and tastes.

Hope this helped @vinoman :).
    -Keegan

• @Keegan said in Where's Deepin for installation?:

So in a nutshell, Deepin DE is still supported by Antergos

The major problem is to add configuration to desktop itself (themes, icons), otherwise developers could simply add all DEs in the world to cnchi hehehehe.
    I’m confidant @karasu is perfectionist and wants to release higly configured DE, since everything is done (with a lot of @Keegan work) i don’t see why Antergos would drop that option out of cnchi.

• True. I’m sure they will continue to support it😀.

• @Bryanpwo I stand corrected, as you and others have commented. Great to see so much development overall. But, in the end I hope that all the efforts will compliment each other. Fragmentation is also Linux’ limitation.

• @axioma
    That’s true, but in the case of Reborn and Antergos, both distro’s have different filosophies even though Reborn has Antergos DNA in it. Antergos is an userfriendly Arch installer, (don’t take this too litteral, there are other threads ongoing for that discussion) but you have to make the DE of choice yours, Reborn aims to deliver an out of the box experience. There’s an equal group of people for both of them.
    When I quickly scan the Arch based distro’s, most of them cater a specific group of people, with different approaches. There aren’t that much Arch distro’s that look or feel the same. When I look to the Ubuntu derivatives, there are a bunch who can merge, because of the similarities.
    I think in Arch land there isn’t much fragmentation, but I understand your point of view.

• @axioma said in Where's Deepin for installation?:

Fragmentation is also Linux’ limitation

antithesis: Competition stimulates business

see here: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/8851/include-inxi-screenfetch-and-neofetch/6 at the end

installation292 deepin66 wheres1 Posts 13Views 2828
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.