• I am desperate, which DE is "made for me"?

@Jeannie____
    Well, how about using a hybrid solution: a non-KDE DE with a good selection of KDE applications? All supported DEs should be able to run also KDE applications…

• Not sure if Budgie-QT will happen. Budgie’s switch to QT was announced more or less one year ago, nothing has followed so far until now, and as long as it still uses GTK3 it’s inacceptable for me.
    And a frankensteined desktop with various parts from different desktops is a nightmare for me
    J.

• I used Plasma5 since the first Beta, where it was from really buggy to totally unusable.
    Personally I think it came a long way since then and I really love the customizability.
    Well I know of some of the bugs with the nvidia drivers, whether I am not so sure its really plasmas fault but more the compatibility of xorg.

Some of the bugs I had made me switch to Gnome3 recently with the Installation of Antergos. I find it working pretty well, mostly searching for Software Replacements since Plasma had so much to offer (Kdenlive, Kate, Okular and KDE Connect).

But finding a stable Desktop not using GTK when putting back Plasma makes it difficult.
    Desktops coming to my mind are just about Enlightenment and Lumina. But I would not count them as stable enough for daily use, for what I saw.

Don’t really think there is the DE right now, every has its advantages and disadvantages. But personally I would really think about giving GTK another chance or stay on plasma5.

• @Jeannie____ said in I am desperate, which DE is "made for me"?:

And a frankensteined desktop with various parts from different desktops is a nightmare for me

I like frankensteined DEs, i can merge all programs i like hehehe, but it’s a freedom of choice.

@Jeannie____ Is it possible that plasma is stable under another linux distros? (like Debian for example)

• I fear my problem is caused by the fact that the plasma5 devs don’t test their software on nvdia hardware.
    J.

• @fernandomaroto said in I am desperate, which DE is "made for me"?:

I like frankensteined DEs, i can merge all programs i like hehehe, but it’s a freedom of choice.

My fancy-DE-hybrid-frankenstein-system is very stable too… i just do remove anything i do not like, and mainly what do not work as it should…
    https://youtu.be/RHRS_pvGNOs

• I’m sorry if I am blunt, but I honestly dont think Antergos is for you. At least not until you accept the fact that its “unstable”. You will not get what you want, there will always be kinks… As with most distro’s.

There are several other Distro’s with a more stable content but then with “delayed” packages as you say.

Now if you accept the fact that this is not like OSX (I refuse to mention windows 10 because its everything BUT stable!) then I would have a look at gnome one more time. Use the time to find the extensions / icons / themes that suit you.

My setup: No tearing, no glitches, no strange colors:
    (I’ve used this for 1,5 years now without any issues)

Basically the same HW as you.

Gnome on GDM running Xorg (Uninstall light-locker thingy)

Themes:
    alt text

Extensions:
    alt text

Desktop
    alt text

As you can see if you play with the Extensions (like dash to dock settings) you can make it look like what you want.
    And again, not to bee harsh, just realistic! ;)

• @joekamprad said in I am desperate, which DE is "made for me"?:

My fancy-DE-hybrid-frankenstein-system is very stable too… i just do remove anything i do not like, and mainly what do not work as it should…
    https://youtu.be/RHRS_pvGNOs

i liked your video, including the elevator music hehehe.
    It’s nice to see that you use terminal a lot. I also liked that old terminal, do you have it by the way?
    I’m very fond to dark themes, i really think it helps my tired eyes :p
    Live long to Frankenstein!

More offtopic: emoticons are gone again :) :p

• @izznogooood
    I ran Gnome 3 two weeks ago, forced myself to do so for 3 days, then I gave up this touch screen UI disaster thing being completely frustrated, I just can’t adopt to the keyboard shortcut wm like Gnome 3 workflow, regardless how many 3rd Party extensions it may require to add stuff a normal DE brings by default.
    Or, let me rephrase it: Imho Gnome 3 is a steaming pile of excrements and I am incompatible with it.
    J.

• @Jeannie____
    Haha, that gave me a belly lough :)

Yes… I like the keyboard way of things… But not always. You have dash to panel for a more traditional desktop… Or better yet, @Keegan 's deepin community version. (Sorry about that @Keegan)

(I used a mac for 5 years so I am quite fond of the way gnome behaves)

• @izznogooood said in I am desperate, which DE is "made for me"?:

Or better yet, @joekamprad 's deepin community version.

It’s @Keegan

• @izznogooood
    OSX.
    Another “I am not made for it” thing, Gave a MAC a try 3 years ago, returned it to the store after one week, cause I could not get anything done on it.

@fernandomaroto
    Deepin may kiss a lower part of my body too, I also hate the workflow, the style, the UX and I don’t understand any chinese, so getting support for it is extremely difficult.

Why are all these “desktop environments” looking and feeling as if they were made for mobile phones/ tablet computers?

By the way: I hate smartphones and tablets too due to the shitty UX of all of them.

J.

• @Jeannie____

i don’t like deepin either…

Why are all these “desktop environments” looking and feeling as if they were made for mobile phones/ tablet computers?

I agree, personally i like DEs that remind me win xp (set to better performance), very similar to what i use today even using a better pc.
    I use i3-wm, xfce4-panel and frankesteined packages. But different from you i see no problem using gtk packages, and i don’t like vanilla appearance from qt packages (but i use qt packages here too).

• @fernandomaroto
    My Plasma5 appearance is far from vanilla.

alt text

J.

Guys.
    As Plasma5 is getting worse and worse with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, I am quite desperate now, as I don’t know anymore wich DE to use.
    What I want: A fully featured desktop environment with all bells and whistles like effects that runs stable on my hardware ( I7 7700, Nvidia GTX 1060)
    What I don’t want: Anything GTK based.
    Ideas?
    J.

What exactly do you mean by “As Plasma5 is getting worse and worse with the proprietary Nvidia drivers…” ?

• I am talking about the crashing compositor which causes the desktop to freeze completely and requires a hard system reset.
    J.

I am talking about the crashing compositor which causes the desktop to freeze completely and requires a hard system reset.
    J.

Did you report a bug?

A so called desktop environment that is not even able to offer a file manager with an integrated file search and uses a window manager that does not come with compositing enabled, resulting in massive screen tearing is nothing I am willing to use. If you add up the coming theming issues with GTK3, xfce is completely unusable, at least for me.
    As a long time Gnome2/MATE user I have to admit that xfce always felt like Gnome 2.0.0 alpha for me.
    I last tried xfce 4.12 which still is the current version.
    But I fear we are heading massively into an off-topic discussion here.
    J.

1. Catfish. Does the (file search) job for me.
    2. Compton with the right config (read the manuals) has been perfect since the last time I used it solely on intel graphics (i5-7500.) Radeon’s “tearfree” option is also perfect. Nvidia’s “force compositing pipeline” does a decent job (but I don’t use beefy nvidia cards.) Dual monitors. Just be sure to kill compton before gamging. Radeon is a bit smarter about it.
    3. Arc dark solves ~95% of the horrible gnome bulky interface. For the remaining white text in white textboxes in ff, use this or this extension.

That about does the complete job for me. (Yes I know the pain of screen tearing that so many people attempt to ignore.)

• @d_K
    Again: I do not wish to use xfce with all it’s shortcomings.
    J.

desperate1 Posts 158Views 12513
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.