• Two 1TB SSD's with Windows and Antergos dual boot on my new machine

Hi all,
    I was wondering if you had any suggestions as far as the best way to partition my new machine set up. I have all of my parts on the way for my new machine Im building and it will be using two 1TB Samsung SSD’s. My plan at the moment is to first install windows 10 on one of the SSD’s and then set up Antergos on the other. Do you have any suggestions as far as how I should set this up or does separate SSD’s for each OS sound sufficient? Also, when I do install Antergos do you have any suggestions as far as setting up the / and dev partitions and what exactly the best set up would be there? I want to make sure I utilize my SSD’s correctly especially with Antergos as it will be my main OS.
    Im also open to share with you all of my hardware I got for my new machine 🙂

Thank you!

• @Janxinz
    Partitioning is the source of endless discussions in many forums.
    For home use I’d recommend the KISS (keep it simple) strategy.

Sounds very good to install Windows on one and Antergos on the other SSD.
    As you said, it is good first to install WIndows on one SSD. If you wish to “play it safe”, disconnect the Windows SSD while installing Antergos to the other SSD.

After both systems are installed, reboot the machine (with both SSDs connected) to Antergos (when starting the machine, you’ll need to select which OS to boot) and run

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

so that Antergos grub finds also Windows.

But how to partition Antergos? Some points:

• If you have lots of RAM (>8GB), you probably don’t need a swap partition nor swap file (but that depends on what programs you use and how). For smaller RAM I recommend swap file instead of swap partition.
    • Personally I prefer a separate data partition, and I put symbolic link(s) to it from the $HOME folder. That makes re-installing Antergos (or other distros) easier.

So Antergos partitioning on a 1 TB SSD could be something like:

• / (root) for the system and programs, at least 100 GB, maybe more.
    • /data for personal data. Size: the rest of the SSD disk. Format: ext4 (or what you wish)

In /etc/fstab you can mount the data partition:

UUID=<uuid-of-the-data-partition> /data ext4 defaults

and you also need to do

sudo mkdir /data

If you want to share files between Antergos and Windows, you could (on Windows) resize the Windows disk to have an extra (maybe 50GB ??) partition space (use ntfs format) for that.
    It is easy to mount in Antergos using /etc/fstab, e.g.

UUID=<long-uuid-of-ntfs-data-partition> /data-ntfs ntfs defaults

For that you need to create a folder in Antergos:

sudo mkdir /data-ntfs

Sorry about the long post… 😉

When reporting issues, please do not hide the details! ;-)

Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL.

• @manuel Thank you very much for the feedback! Just a few questions (sorry if they are a little obvious):

When you say “sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg so that Antergos grub finds also Windows” would this be typed in the ALT+F2 terminal prior to launching Antergos or after in the desktop terminal?

Another thing Im wondering if you can clarify is if you are stating to make these post install using the terminal or will all of this be done in Cnchi when it asks how to partition the system? When I installed Antergos for my first time I followed what was said on this link: https://itsfoss.com/dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi/ (Step 8 when its talking about the partition table) and at that time I had Windows 10 on SSD and Antergos on a hard drive.

Im going to have 32GB of ram so are you saying that I shouldn’t have to worry about swap? Also, when making the /data directory is that post install and just in my home directory and what is it for exactly?

Again I appreciate the long post so no worries! Hopefully I’m asking the right questions and I apologize if they are a little noob, Im still overcoming the Linux and Arch learning curve!

Thanks again!

• @Janxinz

That grub-mkconfig thingy should be run in a terminal after booting to the installed Antergos. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on this.

You can create Antergos partitions during install, or after install. If you do it after install, then you can use e.g. program gparted for it. Maybe the easiest way is to install Antergos, and then make the post install actions, like creating the data partitions. Those data partitions should make your life easier in the long run (but may seem just extra work right now…). You don’t have to create them at all if you choose not to, and then you don’t need to resize SSDs for them.

32GB of RAM means you probably don’t need to create any swap (but naturally may depend on whether you are doing some extremely heavy things that consume lots of RAM on your machine).

About the learning curve: you are right, there is a learning curve, and it may be quite steep if you are willing to master your linux system thoroughly. Arch is not the easiest distro to start with, and Antergos is easier for newcomers. But don’t worry, even I can use Antergos for all my daily tasks without any great problems! 😉

and show the URL.

• Thanks for the info!
    In your experience where do you think you have learned the most as far as managing your machine with the terminal goes? I have completed some linux courses on Udemy and such and I feel like I understand my way around the terminal, the file system, and a little bit of BASH scripting but I want to learn more of course. Do you have any recommendations? I definitely learn a lot when I have an issue and need to solve it. I also want to try to contribute to this forum a little more. Do you feel like you are pretty independent on Antergos and what has helped you the most?
    Thanks again!

• In my experience it is agood idea to have windows on a seperate harddisk, as bigger windows 10 updates fail if you have modified the windows bootloader… but i do test this only on BIOS legacy systems, i find that the big updates run fine if i have the windows disk untouched by grub (mbr) …

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @Janxinz
    On the Internet you can find a lot of information by searching, although that is not always so easy.

Anyways, I think “learning by doing” is efficient and very rewarding (at least when you are able to solve a problem). It is just refreshing to “invent” new ways of finding out reasons for a problem and then solving it, and you learn a lot along the way.

Learning Bash scripting is certainly useful in Linux world, and many net sites have useful tutorials and tips for both newcomers and experienced people. Also Python language is very useful if you consider contributing to the (Antergos) community. But there are also other ways to contribute, e.g. translating stuff, etc.

Personally I have quite a long history with Linux and also some other operating systems. On Linux I have been mostly a user, not that much a developer, but some of that too. So I’m quite familiar with command line stuff on Linux, which helps a lot when trying to solve many of the problems that sometimes occur.

But back to the topic, if you feel this thread is solved, could you please mark it as such? There’s a button below… 😉

and show the URL.

• I just want to add that I dont think 8GB RAM is enough to skip the swap drive. But if you ordered 2x1TB SSD’s im guessing you have at least 32GB RAM.

Either way I would have a 16GB swap or a swapfile anyway, its nothing compared to dataloss if you run out of memory. I have 32gb and with some VM’s running I fill that up quite quickly.

And I personally dont believe you have to disconnect one drive when installing Windows. Just install windows first.

If you are new to linux, might I also suggest you install windows on half of one SSD and after that you install linux on the other halv. Then add the second ssd as a data disk in windows. No way you will use more than 500GB on linux unless you want to edit mass amount of video.

500GB on linux is more than enough to play around with VMs and Software (Currently available linux games etc).

On Windows on the other hand you will have plenty space for your games / movies etc (You can access that drive from linux as well).

Lastly like @manuel said, there is a lot of opinions on this. Just pick the parts and bits that suits/sounds good to you!

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• Thank you all for the feedback. Ill let you know how everything goes when my parts are here.
    Cheers!

• @Janxinz Good luck and happy Antergos’ing!

and show the URL.

windows56 dual31 ssds1 1tb1 Posts 10Views 450
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.