• Impossible to install...

Hello,
    i struggled a bit during install well, it wasnt successfull. It boots up the live media normally, but after some time, it does freeze. Cant move the mouse nothing, just hard reset. Tracked down this problem to my nvidia card - probably drivers or something. Also other distros arent really working - mint to be exact…

I Also tried the antergos nvidia installer iso, but cant boot that either, iso is probably broken or smth because it says “cant mount path

Any ideas what can cause this? How to go around? Thanks.

• @eddie512 said in Impossible to install...:

Any ideas what can cause this?

To get any, please, provide some info about the hardware. The best results are returned by the inxi utility:

inxi -Fxzc0

The inxi utility is available in all distros.

• not any near to PC but the HW is as follows

CPU : i5-2500k turbo-boosted to 4.5gHz
    RAM: Kingston 8GB @ 1600 mHz
    MB: P8-Z68 V-PRO/GEN3
    GPU: GTX780

the rest is common, some HDD some SSD (but not relevant since im trying it to install to HDD) PSU is Seasonic gold 650W.

thanks

MB: P8-Z68 V-PRO/GEN3

Oops, it seems to be an Asus, judging from the MB. Asus strives to prove that nothing but WindOS works on its hardware. Hopefully, I’m wrong, but still avoid any contact with Asus.

• i would agree but few months ago i ran on the same mobo without issues manjaro, antergos, ubuntu, mint, and dozen of *buntu based distros (yea im a bit of a hopper) i didnt had any problems whatsover! never! and the thing is, i had a GTX760 but recently i just did a minor update for few bucks to 780 (gain was worth it) aaaaand im done… But maybe - i recently turned on XMP Profile for RAM, maybe that is causing trouble - will play with it a bit, and return here if no help. Thanks for idea!

• Yesterday i can not install even into a VM i get the same freeze!
    But now it is running inside my WM without freeze…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• found the issue. Its nothing wrong with my computer tho. I guess its a Kernel issue, because i tried older ubuntu (16.04LTS) and it works just fine, no freezes, trying new distro doesnt matter which one actually, result in a freeze.

So i guess, for anyone having this issue, is to either wait for a new Kernel that will fix this, or to use older Kernel

• To confirm, i was able to isntall older version of Antergos - 17.8

To confirm, i was able to isntall older version of Antergos - 17.8

Thanks for info.

What is the kernel’s version in the installed system? Is it the current 4.14.8?

• its kernel 4.12.3

• @eddie512 I’m trying to reconstruct the way you’ve done using Antergos 17.8 for installation.

Antergos 17.8 ISO uses an old kernel’s version, which runs well on your hardware. Then Cnchi explicitely installs the base package group (not a meta package). The base group, in turn, always installs the current kernel’s version.

You have also selected to install the optional LTS kernel, and probably set it up as the default kernel to use on boot up.

At this point I’d expect that there should be two kernels in your system:

• the current 4.14.8, which is not used
    • the LTS 4.12.3, which is used by default

I’m just trying to drill deeper into Cnchi mechanics, nothing else. Only one more question - what does the pacman -Q linux return for you? It looks like:

$ pacman -Q linux
    linux 4.14.8-1
    $ 

Thanks

• actually, that code outputs 4.14.8-1… Which is interesting, The OS is stable, no freezes. But using latest installation method result into a freeze. I could say it is because of antergos, but cant because every-other distro does the same! Thats confusing

actually, that code outputs 4.14.8-1…

Oh, what a relief! Thank you very much. The picture of the world is perfect now 🙂 . Cnchi works as expected.

I could say it is because of antergos, but cant because every-other distro does the same! Thats confusing

If installers in all other distros you’re tried use 4.14 kernel series, then yes, you’re probably right. There’s something in 4.14 which doesn’t work on your hardware.

• @just
    Actually it seems that the latest (minimal-17.12) installer is using Linux 4.13.12-1-ARCH.
    So maybe that kernel version is flawed?

When reporting issues, please do not hide the details! ;-)

Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL.

• @manuel said in Impossible to install...:

Actually it seems that the latest (minimal-17.12) installer is using Linux 4.13.12-1-ARCH.

I do not have the minimal 17.12 ISO, so following your post checked the kernel used in the full 17.12 ISO.

It is 4.13.12-1 as well. The same as in the minimal ISO.

So maybe that kernel version is flawed?

It’s hard to say. There are Dell and Acer laptops here, with Intel I5 and I7 processors, with hybrid nVidia, hybrid ATI, pure ATI (single-GPU) video cards.

On all computers Antergos 17.12 full ISO boots up and works just fine. I cannot reproduce the error.

And IIRC there were no posts with the similar problem regarding Antergos 17.12 in the forum. I’m out of ideas, for now.

• @just said in Impossible to install...:

Antergos 17.8 ISO uses an old kernel’s version, which runs well on your hardware. Then Cnchi explicitely installs the base package group (not a meta package).

Hi @just. Doesn’t cnchi use meta-package as soon it checks for updates?
    I always thought that the iso loads as it is (including the old kernel) but the installed system would be fully up to date as soon cnchi updates itself to the current version.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Impossible to install...:

Hi @just. Doesn’t cnchi use meta-package as soon it checks for updates?

You’re forcing me to go off-topic 😉 . I was recently punished for it 🙂 .

A live Antergos session, when starts, checks for availability of the newer cnchi version only. No other checks or updates are done at this stage.

Once the most recent cnchi program is started, it does three main things:

• installs the Antergos base. Cnchi uses single packages and one package group - the base group - at this stage.

• installs the choosen DE. Cnchi uses new meta packages at this stage now. Each single DE is installed by one meta package. In the past, each single DE was installed by a set of single packages.

• installs additional components, selected by a user. Cnchi uses single packages at this stage.

I always thought that the iso loads as it is (including the old kernel) but the installed system would be fully up to date…

It is absolutely correct.

…as soon cnchi updates itself to the current version.

It is wrong. Yes, a freshly installed system is always up to date - but not because the cnchi program updates itself before it starts up.

It’s because Antergos ISO doesn’t include any application package at all. Their installation is guided by the packages xml file. Basically, it is a simple list of package names to install. Cnchi reads the list and downloads these packages from Arch and Antergos mirrors. Once all packages are downloaded, they are installed, the post-installation script is run (custom Antergos cosmetic changes), an installation is completed.

What is the content of packages xml? Again, it’s a list of package namse. They are:

• the base package group. Used to install Arch base, common for all DEs

• single packages. Used mostly to install packages, common to all DEs, plus some Antergos-specific packages, common to all DEs.

• meta package(s). Used to install the selected DE. One DE = one meta package.

• single packages again. Used to install additional components, selected by a user.

Package groups and meta packages, in turn, may also be seen as simple lists of package names to install. They do not contain real application packages. Instead, they just point to packages to install.

Briefly. Cnchi gets a list of package names to install. Packages are downloaded from mirrors at installation time. The system is up to date.

Sorry for the off-topic.

• @just said in Impossible to install...:

You’re forcing me to go off-topic . I was recently punished for it .

Sorry for that. I was trying to understand if meta-packages would be installed under old Antergos isos (yes if i understand correctly since cnchi update the list of packages).

So @eddie512 problem is kernel related, wich can only be workarounded using an old .iso version (use an older kernel) or if Antergos developers release a new iso with customized kernels (like LTS, old kernels etc) or even if the new kernel released by Arch is compatible again with eddie’s hardware.

Thank you @just for the explanation and sorry again for going offtopic.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Impossible to install...:

I was trying to understand if meta-packages would be installed under old Antergos isos (yes if i understand correctly since cnchi update the list of packages).

You’re right. The final result - an installed system - doesn’t depend on Cnchi version. It depends on packages.xml content. Packages.xml includes meta package(s) now. Hence, meta package(s) are installed.

So @eddie512 problem is kernel related, wich can only be workarounded using an old .iso version (use an older kernel)…

Exactly.

…or if Antergos developers release a new iso with customized kernels (like LTS, old kernels etc) or even if the new kernel released by Arch is compatible again with eddie’s hardware.

Exactly again. I have nothing to add to it.

• Interesting conversation!

Is there a place for official links of the old installer ISOs somewhere?
    Seems that sometimes they are needed, and I haven’t found such a place…

When reporting issues, please do not hide the details! ;-)

Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL.

install81 impossible11 Posts 21Views 1325
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.