• Update errors

The past two days the updates have had some errors:
    “Failed to connect to mirror.lty.me port 80: connection timed out.”

Should I choose another mirror? Or wait until corrected on your servers?

• I don’t know if this is the ‘correct solution’ but it works. All I did was edit pacman’s mirrorlist and comment (# at the beginning of the line) that line.

• Any solution is correct if it works.

Another way to deal with mirrors is to install the wonderful reflector utility:

sudo pacman -Syu reflector

and let it automatically select the best mirrors for your current geographical location, or simply periodically refresh the mirrors list. Mirrors are not static, they may slow down, or become faster, or die, or born.

reflector has a huge list of options, and may optimize mirrors in many different ways, depending on your tastes or needs. Use reflector --help to get the full list.

An example:

sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Note that reflector works with native Arch mirrors only, contained in the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file. It doesn’t work with Antergos mirrors, contained in the /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist file.

• @just said in Update errors:

Any solution is correct if it works.

alt text
    New Helmut Kohl jokes. All that matters is what comes out the back.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• i like to use fetchmirrors as i do not need to use a long command line a simple:

sudo fetchmirrors -q -s 16 -c DE

see fetchmirrors --help for all options aviable and To view a list of country codes run: fetchmirrors -l

how to add system logs:

• @joekamprad said in Update errors:

i like to use fetchmirrors as i do not need to use a long command line…

I think nobody likes to type in long commands. Actually, that reflector command is a part of the very short rd alias (stands for refresh distro), which I use daily:

alias rd='sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && yaourt -Syyua && sync && sudo pacman -Scc && sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=3d --vacuum-size=100M && sync'

The rd command (alias):

• optimizes mirrors
    • upgrades pkgs from regular and AUR repos
    • syncs all changes to disks
    • clears pacman’s cache
    • clears journal, leaving in it only 3 last days but not more than 100M of data
    • syncs all changes to disks one more time

🙂

• Thank you. So do I run the command as root:

rd ?

• @vinoman said in Update errors:

So do I run the command as root:

No!

Aliases are commands created by a user. The rd alias (command) doesn’t exist in your system.

If you want to use it, edit yout ~/.bashrc file and paste in it the line from the previous post: alias rd=… etc.

Once the ~/.bashrc file is saved, the rd alias (command) will be available in all terminals opened after that.

• This is now confusing with too many options. How do I change the mirror to another one? installed reflector and it does nothing.

I remmed out the bad mirror and ran pacman -Syyu and no errors, may it will pick a good mirror on next updates.

How do I change the mirror to another one?

Sorry, what do you expect from reflector to do?

With reflector there’s no need to modify or change anything by hand. All changes are automagically made and saved by reflector for you.

Reflactor does only one thing - creates | overwrites the file, indicated by the –save option. It is the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist in the example.

It also adds the header to the file, where it informs, with what command and when the file was created.

For example:

################################################################################
    ################# Arch Linux mirrorlist generated by Reflector #################
    ################################################################################

# With:       reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
    # When:       2017-12-25 10:48:09 UTC
    # From:       https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/
    # Retrieved:  2017-12-25 10:48:01 UTC
    # Last Check: 2017-12-25 10:27:35 UTC

Server = http://mirrors.atviras.lt/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = http://mirror.pseudoform.org/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = http://mirror.one.com/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch

Did you check that?

If you have created the rd alias, it may be used as is.

• @just

how do create an rd alias?

[[email protected] ~]$ su
    Password: 
    [[email protected] davek]# reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
    [[email protected] davek]# 

does this pick a better mirror?

how do create an rd alias?

It is explained three posts above this one.

• @just

where so I post it?

#
    # ~/.bashrc
    #

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
    [[ $- != *i* ]] && return

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    PS1='[\[email protected]\h \W]\$ '

does this pick a better mirror?

No, it doesn’t pick up the best single mirror. It picks up the best 32 mirrors; the number is indicated by the –number option.

When pacman cannot retrieve a particular package from the 1st mirror in the list, it automatically skips to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th… mirror and searches for the pkg on them.

Only when a pkg cannot be retrieved from none of 32 mirrors, pacman returns the error.

where so I post it?

Do you mean “where do I place it”? At any point, at any line inside the ~/.bashrc, it doesn’t matter.

Place it near already existing aliases, it would be logic.

Bear in mind, that aliases may use already defined aliases - those defined above them, - and may also redefine already existing aliases. What matters here is the physical order of the lines with alias definitions.

• @just
    What am I pasting in that file?
    is it… alias rd=

What am I pasting in that file?

It is:

alias rd='sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && yaourt -Syyua && sync && sudo pacman -Scc && sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=3d --vacuum-size=100M && sync'

It’s in the 6th post in this topic. Do you read it?

• @just
    I ran this…

[[email protected] ~]$ su
    Password: 
    [[email protected] davek]# reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

a # is commenting out following line …

and why root ? @just is saying before that it do not need this? and what exactly do you want to do? you want create the alias to make use of the alias rd instead of the long command, or do you want to use the long command ???

how to add system logs:

Do I paste alias rd= in that file and then run the command again?

Please, read the topic, and do not repeat the same questions many times in the same thread.

Where to place and how to use aliases is already explained in the 9th post in this thread.

Posts 23Views 1225
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.