• Black screen issue

Hey I had been using Antergos 2014.06.14 - 64bits version for a week now on my old Asus N81V laptop and all was well. I had no updated nor done anything with installing new packages this last session. Last night I shutdown the computer and went to bed. When I woke up and turned the computer on I was booted into a black screen with only the view of my cursor. I clicked around and hit the enter key a few times as well, nothing. I also rebooted and tried the failsafe kernel with the same results. I would really appreciate if I could get some help sorting out this issue.

Other info:
    I’m using an ATI Mobility Radeon 3xxx with a core 2 duo processor and 4GB of ram.
    As of now I am writing to you on the dual-booted windows partition which is working fine.

Thanks

Jim

• Hey I had been using Antergos 2014.06.14 - 64bits version for a week now on my old Asus N81V laptop and all was well. I had no updated nor done anything with installing new packages this last session. Last night I shutdown the computer and went to bed. When I woke up and turned the computer on I was booted into a black screen with only the view of my cursor. I clicked around and hit the enter key a few times as well, nothing. I also rebooted and tried the failsafe kernel with the same results. I would really appreciate if I could get some help sorting out this issue.

Other info:
    I’m using an ATI Mobility Radeon 3xxx with a core 2 duo processor and 4GB of ram.
    As of now I am writing to you on the dual-booted windows partition which is working fine.

Thanks

Jim

• What did you install most recently? Also have you made changes to any configuration files or settings recently?

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• I installed firefox
    I uninstalled chromium
    I did a pacman -Syu and upgraded some small package that I can’t remember.

Other than those things, nothing.

• Hi,

Add the following to the kernel boot command by pressing " e " when grub appears:

This will bring you to a login prompt. First just log in and try performing another update:sudo pacman -Syyu

Reboot and see if the problem is fixed. If not, repeat the above process and log in at the command line. If you have a flash drive it will be useful to save a couple log files so you can post them here:

sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt  
    sudo journalctl -b 0 \> /mnt/journal.log  
    sudo journalctl -b 1 \> /mnt/journal.log.last  
    sudo journalctl -b 2 \> /mnt/journal.log.2last  
    sudo cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt  
    sudo cp /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• @“lots.0.logs”:2l4z3b7o said:

Hi,

Add the following to the kernel boot command by pressing " e " when grub appears:

This will bring you to a login prompt. First just log in and try performing another update:sudo pacman -Syyu

Reboot and see if the problem is fixed. If not, repeat the above process and log in at the command line. If you have a flash drive it will be useful to save a couple log files so you can post them here:

sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt  
    > sudo journalctl -b 0 \> /mnt/journal.log  
    > sudo journalctl -b 1 \> /mnt/journal.log.last  
    > sudo journalctl -b 2 \> /mnt/journal.log.2last  
    > sudo cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt  
    > sudo cp /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:2l4z3b7o]

Hey I followed the instructions and did the first step: adding the ]systemd.unit=multi-user.target in grub and booting. All that happens is I am booted to the same black screen with my cursor. I don’t have any option to update the system via a terminal or anything like that.

• Okay, have you try switching VTs once it stops at the black screen (ctrl+alt+f2)? If that doesnt work then try this boot target instead:[code:267v1l8t]systemd.unit=network.target[/code:267v1l8t]

Cheers!

EDIT** Also remove “quiet” from the kernel boot command and let me know if any output is shown on the screen during boot. Thanks.

Posts 7Views 1630
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.