• Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome

If you solve this problem. Write here please a solution.

• As i would add, both do not run direct on wayland they run on X11-Wayland layer…
    It could be also not directly related to wayland package.

• @artestint said in Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome:

If you solve this problem. Write here please a solution.

I will try, but probably not today. If I find a way to “fix” the problem I will write it here.

@joekamprad

As i would add, both do not run direct on Wayland they run on X11-Wayland layer…
    It could be also not directly related to Wayland package.

Firefox and Chromium run fine on X11, there is no other main suspect for now. Besides Wayland development team has come across other issues around the same time, maybe their new patch for this bug broke something else:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/wayland-display-server/996841-samsung-dealing-with-wayland-zombie-apocalypse-bug

• @PedroLopes thanks for that links complex reading, but very interesting!
    “Zombie Apocalypse” ;)

• I did a complete re-installation of Antergos, and Chromium is now working again. (I uninstalled Evolution mail, it is probably completely unrelated) I also made sure that Weston, Libva and Wlc were installed.

Both issues (with Chromium and Firefox) were also happening yesterday in Manjaro running KDE (plasma) on wayland and also on Arch running KDE (plasma) on wayland and also when running Gnome wayland on both distros…

I don’t know if since yesterday there has been any upgrade to Wayland, Chromium, the Kernel or any related library that could explain this issue with chromium being solved.
    However the Firefox issue remains, the solution (the workaround) is to kill one of its process just like @artestint said.

@artestint By any chance are you running an LTS Kernel on a AMD Radeon machine?

I have searched and so far I have not find anyone else using wayland that is having either one of this issues. I Know that we both cannot be the only people running arch based distributions running wayland, therefore if this issue is not happening to anyone else besides us, is because there is something specific to our hardware that is causing the system to install drivers that could be related to this issue.

I am more clueless today than yesterday.

• @artestint By any chance are you running an LTS Kernel on a AMD Radeon machine?

Happy New year )) Kernel is latest avaible in Antergos by default. Yes, i am using Amd Radeon. Today I noticed one more problem with wayland )) Steam does not runs. In Xorg everything is ok. I turn to Xorg now )

• Happy New Year.
    I am also using AMD Radeon R2 (acer Apire ES 15)… There seems to be something related to Wayland and AMD Radeon hardware that causes all of this problems, which means that we cannot expect any solution any time soon, because AMD Radeon hardware is not as common as Intel embedded or Nvidia, etc. so the solution for now is to use X11.

Taking into consideration that this issue seems to be related to Wayland and AMD Radeon Drivers it is completely out of my range to try to fix it.

• Have you tried starting the browser with a different XDG_BACKEND?

For example, does running XDG_BACKEND=wayland firefox or XDG_BACKEND=x11 firefox change anything for you?

• closing– old thread

Posts 29Views 2658
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.