• Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome

I was using Firefox without any problems until last week, then whenever I try to run firefox the process just runs on the back, however the window is never created. the same thing happens with chromium.
    only Vivaldi and Opera work fine.
    when I open gnome with X11 Firefox and chromium work fine.

• mostly no one is running wayland, as it does not work at all, or is not working properly …

what graphiccard/chip you are using and what drivers?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome:

graphiccard/chip

Thank you for the answer.
    Until this issue wayland had been working fine, I always assumed that Wayland was ready for use.

$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1566
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R2 Graphics] (rev 40)
    00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
    00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 156b
    00:02.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 16h Processor Functions 5:1
    00:02.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 16h Processor Functions 5:1
    00:08.0 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1537
    00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 39)
    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 39)
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 39)
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 42)
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 02)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
    00:14.7 SD Host controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SD Flash Controller (rev 01)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1580
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1581
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1582
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1583
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1584
    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1585
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

• It is probably not so important whether Wayland works good or bad. What is its practical usefullness right now?

For now, Wayland has 3 (three) native applications. They are called Wayland clients. They run on pure Wayland and do not need Xorg. More precisely, they run on Weston, which is Wayland’s compositor; Wayland is useless without Weston:

• weston-terminal (the only useful Wayland app)
    • weston-flower (the demo to move flowers around the screen)
    • weston-image (displays images)

Other hundreds, thousands applications - everything - are developed for Xorg. They are called X clients.

None of X clients runs on pure Wayland. To run an X client on Wayland, an additional intermediate layer must be installed. It is given by the xorg-server-xwayland package. It translates Xorg language to Wayland. It makes an X client, started on Wayland session, to believe that it runs on Xorg session. None of X programs works on Wayland without xorg-server-xwayland.

It would be more logic to run an X program directly on X, wouldn’t it?

• @just

Do you have anything valid to add to this conversation? such as: do you know why Chromium and Firefox do not work anymore?

Your personal opinions about the usefulness of wayland, as interesting as they might seem to you, are not relevant to me (because those considerations do not solve the problem).

The Gnome team seemed to be committed to the idea of selling wayland as the new replacement for X11, that is why I started to use it.
    Also, with my current hardware, X11 is not working very well either (it is rather slow when handling videos even when using H.264 instead of the VP8) even when I was using XFCE instead of Gnome. But when I tried wayland with Gnome it felt faster than X11, everything else worked fine (Livreoffice, totem, Skype, Gimp, inkscape, gparted, geany, etc…) and the videos played fine, so I stick with it.

Currently I open the Gnome account with X11, but I do not appreciate X11 sluggishness.

• @PedroLopes said in Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome:

Do you have anything valid to add to this conversation?..

No, I do not.

Your personal opinions … are not relevant to me (because those considerations do not solve the problem).

You’re absolutely right. I’m sorry for that. It’s not easy to always stay strictly on topic. Errare humanum est…

With respect

• –erased useless comment from a user–

But back to topic, as @PedroLopes can make use of better experience with this X11-layer on wayland:

@PedroLopes said in Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R2 Graphics] (rev 40)

And what is the way you are installing driver for graphics?

To get into it it is may possibkle to get some hint inside logs while starting firefox or chromium:

start firefox while unning this command in terminal:

journalctl -f /usr/bin/firefox

start chromium while unning this command in terminal:

journalctl -f /usr/bin/chromium

and take a look to the log

better to have a second terminal open with running the full journal logging too:

journalctl -f

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I did not had to install any particular drivers or anything, I made this installation a few months ago, I don’t remember the details, but I know I installed antergos only with the command line, then I installed (with sudo pacman -S …) the xorg, gdm, xfce, etc… only later I installed Gnome and then wayland.

I cannot make any sense of what the problem is only looking at the output of the logs.

journalctl -f /usr/bin/firefox
    -- Logs begin at Fri 2017-10-06 22:59:10 CEST. --
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: [Parent 1887, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (196): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 353
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150084,name=PBrowser::Msg_SetDocShellIsActive) Channel error: cannot send/recv
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150061,name=PBrowser::Msg_UpdateDimensions) Channel error: cannot send/recv
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x24004E,name=PContent::Msg_Activate) Channel error: cannot send/recv
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150001,name=PBrowser::Msg_AsyncMessage) Channel error: cannot send/recv
    dez 23 06:53:17 pedro firefox.desktop[1887]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150083,name=PBrowser::Msg_Destroy) Channel error: cannot send/recv
    -- Reboot --
    dez 26 06:06:38 pedro firefox.desktop[4428]: [Parent 4428, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (144): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 353
    dez 26 06:25:11 pedro firefox.desktop[4428]: [Parent 4428, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (171): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 353
    dez 26 06:51:03 pedro firefox.desktop[5228]: ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150083,name=PBrowser::Msg_Destroy) Closed channel: cannot send/recv
    dez 26 06:51:03 pedro firefox.desktop[5228]: ###!!! [Child][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x150001,name=PBrowser::Msg_AsyncMessage) Closed channel: cannot send/recv

But Firefox seems to be using Chromium engine now instead of Gecko.

Chromium logs are empty:

journalctl -f /usr/bin/chromium

journalctl -f gives me this:

journalctl -f
    dez 26 14:33:10 pedro tracker-extract[1991]: If the error above is recurrent for the same item/ID, consider running "tracker-extract" in the terminal with the TRACKER_VERBOSITY=3 environment variable, and filing a bug with the additional information
    dez 26 14:33:20 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: libinput error: libinput bug: timer event11 tap: offset negative (-142472)
    dez 26 14:33:20 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: libinput error: libinput bug: timer event11 tap: offset negative (-94471)
    dez 26 14:33:20 pedro dbus-daemon[1648]: [session uid=1000 pid=1648] Activating via systemd: service name='org.gnome.Terminal' unit='gnome-terminal-server.service' requested by ':1.66' (uid=1000 pid=2092 comm="gnome-terminal ")
    dez 26 14:33:20 pedro systemd[1633]: Starting GNOME Terminal Server...
    dez 26 14:33:21 pedro dbus-daemon[1648]: [session uid=1000 pid=1648] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Terminal'
    dez 26 14:33:21 pedro systemd[1633]: Started GNOME Terminal Server.
    dez 26 14:34:17 pedro gnome-keyring-daemon[1642]: couldn't allocate secure memory to keep passwords and or keys from being written to the disk
    dez 26 14:34:17 pedro gnome-keyring-daemon[1642]: asked to register item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/1, but it's already registered
    dez 26 14:34:20 pedro gnome-keyring-daemon[1642]: asked to register item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/1, but it's already registered
    dez 26 14:39:03 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: last_user_time (1758590) is greater than comparison timestamp (1758588).  This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
    dez 26 14:39:03 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: 0x1c00001 (Chromium a) appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 1758590.  Working around...
    dez 26 14:40:44 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: last_user_time (1859981) is greater than comparison timestamp (1859978).  This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
    dez 26 14:40:44 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: 0x1c00001 (Chromium a) appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 1859981.  Working around...
    dez 26 14:42:50 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: last_user_time (1985605) is greater than comparison timestamp (1985584).  This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
    dez 26 14:42:50 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: 0x1c00001 (Google Tra) appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 1985605.  Working around...
    dez 26 14:46:15 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: last_user_time (2190491) is greater than comparison timestamp (2190467).  This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
    dez 26 14:46:15 pedro org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1681]: Window manager warning: 0x1c00001 (Chromium a) appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 2190491.  Working around...

I have a problem with timestamps, but that is all.

• @PedroLopes said in Chromium and Firefox cannot open their windows on wayland gnome:

Chromium logs are empty:

journalctl -f | grep chromium

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

I did not had to install any particular drivers or anything, I made this installation a few months ago, I don’t remember the details, but I know I installed antergos only with the command line, then I installed (with sudo pacman -S …) the xorg, gdm, xfce, etc… only later I installed Gnome and then wayland.

I do not understand fully what you have done…

• Do you use Antergos-Live-ISO for installation?
    • do you choose “base” system inside cnchi, and then install Gnome e.t.c. later by hand?

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• logs give nothing interesting here ;)

Do you try to runn both Browsers out of terminal by command too?

i get a lot errors here on firefox…

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Guys, try to use slightly modified command, suggested by @joekamprad.

It’s a kind of “live debugging”.

Open two terminal windows. In the 1st terminal run the command:

sudo journalctl -ef

The command will immediately jump to the end of the journal, and will always stay there. All system messages will be added to the end of the journal, and will be immediately visible here.

Do not touch anything in this terminal. Simply observe the content. It doesn’t change, when the system is idle. New lines appear, when some program(s) run.

In the 2nd terminal start Firefox or Chromium. All messages, generated by the browsers, will be immediately added to the end of the journal and visible in the 1st terminal.

Eventually, it will be possible to spot an error message in the 1st terminal, and figure out what is happening.

• @joekamprad

• do you choose “base” system inside cnchi, and then install Gnome e.t.c. later by hand?

yes, that is exactly what I meant, I wanted to try several different desktop environments, some of them are not listed by default, so installing the “base” iso was simpler.

• Do you try to runn both Browsers out of terminal by command too?

yes the result in the logs was the same and the terminal where I ran the firefox command did not returned anything, nor it opens the window, it just hangs in there.

journalctl -f | grep chromium gave me this result:

journalctl -f | grep chromium
    dez 26 16:00:01 pedro chromium.desktop[3181]: [3233:3233:1226/160001.989528:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(351)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

when I try @just method “sudo journalctl -ef” nothing is detected by the journalctl when I run firefox.

• I killed all the firefox processes that were running on the background and tried again using sudo journalctl -ef in one terminal and firefox in the other terminal and I got this:

dez 26 16:22:43 pedro gnome-system-mo[3972]: Allocating size to gnome-system-monitor 0x55a12b67a2b0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

• The Firefox code or the GTK lib code that governs the size of the window must have changed since the update and now has some issue with the size of the window.

• This is also a very common error and is not saying anything…

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I have the same problem. I noticed that when I run firefox. There are two processes in the system monitor, not one. When I kill a process that consumes less memory, firefox is started. List of files that this process opens in the picture below. I use wayland because there is no tearing as in xorg. I installed antergos from live cd, perhaps a year ago, by selecting the standard desktop environment. 0_1514537900897_File open.png

• @artestint
    Thank you for the information, when I kill the smaller Firefox process the window opens, just like you said. This solution does “go around” the problem for Firefox, but not for Chromium.
    I was mistaken about chromium, the problem is not the same as with Firefox, chromium now opens a window, but produces the “Picasso Canvas” effect. you can see a print-screen bellow that shows the effect:

Picasso Canvas effect
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Wp8jPYPumErz4GtWFJOjFES7TE5PkXI/view?usp=sharing

Could you please try Chromium just to see if that “Picasso Canvas” problem is happening just to me or is it wayland’s fault.

Thank you.

• I do not know what to do with chrome. When it starts, many processes appear. I do not know which one to close. I tried different things and did not lead to anything. Before closing processes, I see only
    transparent window when I press the super key to go to it and open it I can not
    http://uploads.im/XjiT8.png
    http://uploads.im/xJ8ls.png
    http://uploads.im/eS2Ko.png
    I’m sure it’s because of recent updates

• @artestint
    You are having the same problem as me, initially I was not being able to see the Chromium window, but then the window started to show up and the graphics were all messed up inside the window (the “Picasso Canvas” problem), I was afraid that this issue was related to my hardware and to my drivers, but clearly this is a problem that is related to Wayland independently of the hardware. This same problem is also happening in Manjaro and Arch installations, not just Antergo’s installation.
    This is a different problem from Firefox.

Anyway, for now I think that the only “solution” would be to reverse Wayland to a previous version, a version released before the 22 of December (I think that was the time the problem started, there was some update around that time).

Posts 27Views 737
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.