• Unable to boot after installing Nvidia driver

Hi, everyone. I had been using Linux Mint for about 3 years and decided to move to Antergos after a mint update broke my system during finals. It really didn’t take long to fall in love with Antergos after playing around with it for an hour or two. Everything worked great until I went and installed the nvidia driver (my system is an MSI gt20 series laptop with an optimus card - Nvidia m770gtx/intel).

I was initially able to log in with the fallback lts kernel image, but no longer. I assumed the grub entry “gfxpayout=keep” may have something to do with the ACPI errors that cause my system to hang.
    0_1514007308826_20171222_141352.jpg

I have tried several combinations in grub to try getting back into the system to uninstall the nvidia packages. The furthest I can get when playing around with the grub config is the following, but then it hangs indefinitely:
    0_1514007371510_20171222_143011.jpg

I live in a very rural area, my internet is basically 90s slow and I would love to be able to login and fix this rather than reinstall (not to mention saving the wear and tear on my ssd drive).

Thank you

• @BSWent
    You could boot with the installer usb stick and use something like
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt # modify sda1 for your system
    arch-chroot /mnt
    to get back in control to your system and uninstall bad stuff with
    pacman -Rsn <packages>

• @manuel

Thank you so much for responding. This was straightforward, thank you. I was able to chroot into my system and remove some of the nvidia packages. There are at least 3 that I can identify that will not remove.

I used the following line to list the installed packages
    expac --timefmt=’%Y-%m-%d %T’ ‘%l\t%n’ | sort | tail -n 100

I used pacman -Rsn to remove some packages like nvidia-lts

The ones that will not remove are:
    nvidia, libvdpau, lib32-libvdpau

the results are:
    [[email protected] /]# pacman -Rsn nvidia
    checking dependencies…
    error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
    :: antergos-prime: removing nvidia breaks dependency ‘nvidia’

[[email protected] /]# pacman -Rsn libvdpau
    checking dependencies…
    :: ffmpeg: removing libvdpau breaks dependency ‘libvdpau’
    :: ffmpeg2.8: removing libvdpau breaks dependency ‘libvdpau’
    :: gst-plugins-bad: removing libvdpau breaks dependency ‘libvdpau’
    :: lib32-libvdpau: removing libvdpau breaks dependency ‘libvdpau’
    :: steam-native-runtime: removing libvdpau breaks dependency ‘libvdpau’

[[email protected] /]# pacman -Rsn lib32-libvdpau
    checking dependencies…
    :: steam-native-runtime: removing lib32-libvdpau breaks dependency ‘lib32-libvdpau’

I checked a few other pages as well and am wondering if there is a command to refresh before rebooting I may have missed.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root

I also found another person that broke their system with the nvidia drivers
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4741/need-help-i-broke-my-system-trying-to-downgrade-nvidia/5

when I man pacman, I see --force as an option. Was tempted to try it but don’t want to cause more damage. Would it be safe to redo your command as “pacman --force -Rsn nvidia”?

• I used ls -R /var/cache/pacman | grep nvidia
    and got the following (was curious if it was version thing).

[[email protected] /]# ls -R /var/cache/pacman | grep nvidia
    lib32-nvidia-utils-387.34-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    nvidia-387.34-13-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    nvidia-387.34-14-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    nvidia-installer-1.12-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
    nvidia-lts-387.34-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    nvidia-utils-387.34-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I still can’t seem to uninstall nvidia all the way, I tried as well with no luck (per this thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113394 )
    pacman -Rd nvidia
    pacman -Rd nvidia-utils

• @BSWent said in Unable to boot after installing Nvidia driver:

…Everything worked great until I went and installed the nvidia driver (my system is an MSI gt20 series laptop with an optimus card - Nvidia m770gtx/intel).

You don’t describe how nVidia driver was installed. It must be installed in a special way on Optimus laptops, which is very different from single-GPU nVidia laptops.

Antergos Wiki explains how to install nVidia on Optimus laptops here. It also explains, how to remove (uninstall) nVidia driver from Optimus laptops. You don’t mention, whether or not you’ve already seen this article.

If you’ve used a single-GPU nVidia driver installation approach, then re-installation is the most practical way to get out from a mess it creates, I’m afraid.

• @just

Thank you. I was really hoping to be able to fix it, that last install was painfully long and so was each subsequent change; darn. TIL Optimus has its own protocol, hadn’t seen the article.

• @BSWent
    I don’t have nvidia card, and the only nvidia related package I have in my system is libvdpau, since that is needed by some other packages. So don’t remove that. You seem to have Steam that needs libvdpau things.

But you can remove many packages with a single line of pacman -Rsn. For example,

pacman -Rsn nvidia antergos-prime  # and maybe others that seem to be dependencies

Be very careful what dependencies to remove, too much makes your system unbootable.

But you have used antergos-prime, and that is an alternative to bumblebee in an optimus system (see the link @just just showed).

See this also: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7961/antergosprime-brings-optimus-prime-functionality-to-antergos

EDIT: sorry about editing this many times, this is just the way I sometimes do things… ;)

boot282 nvidia152 installing115 unable72 Posts 7Views 1751
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.