• If i could make an Arch Installer...

I would use Cnchi and make it totally customizable as to which components to download and install from its respective Git-Hub repo also i would add the following options to Cnchi:

1. To be able to add a second input source and the key combination to use in order to change input source for the installation.
    2. To be able to read from an online database the address and the GPG-Key of all Git-Hub Arch - AUR - Arch based distros so you can have full access to all Git-Hub Arch-AUR Arch-Based Repos prior installation.
    3. To be able to download and install all the Desktop Environments that Arch Linux Officially supports from its respective Git-Hub repo.
    4. To be able for the user to download compressed Git-Hub packages should he choose so (the compression software of choice would be the one that offers the best ratio between compressed file size and decompression speed.)
    5. To be able for parallel download of Git-Hub packages if the user chooses so.
    6. Implement an Auto-sync feature for all setting of the current DE of the user. (available through AUR).
    7. Implement a bug tracking software that will create 1 log preferably in the desktop for the user to review before it automatically submit each bug to its respective developer(s) (Team) (available through AUR).

The .iso would be bare minimum in order to be a Git Universal Installer similar to what is known as web installer.

Advantages:

1. Totally Bleeding edge.
    2. No need to maintain repositories.
    3. Something that i don’t know yet.

Disadvantages:

1. Installation would take longer than usual.
    2. Prone to bugs since it would really be bleeding edge.

If this project would ever come to fruition i would call it G. U. I ArchLinux
    Git
    Universal
    Installer

• This would be more Github based 😉
    Github is not carrying packages itself, so pacman is not usable…
    More like archgentoo hybrid 😉

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @joekamprad said in If i could make an Arch-Based Distro...:

This would be more Github based 😉

um can’t pacman download the source compile it and install it ?

• @dreamtraveler pacman is managing packages only… Building is done with makepkg, or aurhelpers like yaourt pacaur e. T. C

how to add system logs:

@dreamtraveler pacman is managing packages only… Building is done with makepkg, or aurhelpers like yaourt pacaur e. T. C

Which one of those Arch uses to compile source and install it ?

github is working, but packages must be uploaded at “releases”. Portergos repo is under github and is working fine through pacman.

@dreamtraveler

I would use Cnchi and add the option to select up to two input sources and made it totally customizable of which Components to download from their respective Git-Hub Repo to compile and install so nothing would be in the .iso other than what Arch gives you except cnchi i would also optionally add the Git-Hub repo of the device manager from manjaro to download compile and install it also optionally add the GitHub repo of all the DE that Arch Linux Officially supports to download compile and install… so i think it wouldn’t be Arch-Based more like Arch with options…

I encourage you to do that, and i’m sure Antergos developers as well!

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in If i could make an Arch-Based Distro...:

@dreamtraveler

I would use Cnchi and add the option to select up to two input sources and made it totally customizable of which Components to download from their respective Git-Hub Repo to compile and install so nothing would be in the .iso other than what Arch gives you except cnchi i would also optionally add the Git-Hub repo of the device manager from manjaro to download compile and install it also optionally add the GitHub repo of all the DE that Arch Linux Officially supports to download compile and install… so i think it wouldn’t be Arch-Based more like Arch with options…

I encourage you to do that, and i’m sure Antergos developers as well!

The problem would be that the installation would take more time than usual since it would have to compile from source.

• hours… may be it will take a day or two 😉

how to add system logs:

• @dreamtraveler said in If i could make an Arch-Based Distro...:

The problem would be that the installation would take more time than usual since it would have to compile from source.

why not upload the binaries directly?

Portergos site

I3wm

@dreamtraveler said in If i could make an Arch-Based Distro...:

why not upload the binaries directly?

I edited my original post to make it easier to read and added an option.
    Binaries… i dont know exactly what that is so i ll have to look it up.

Binaries… i dont know exactly what that is so i ll have to look it up

I guess you are a new user? Binary is the way archlinux/manjaro and almost every distros pack softwares/programs.
    Compilation is needed more for AUR packages (sometimes not actualy)

Well anyway i wish you luck and good studies, i learn a lot here doing experiments hehehe 😛

Portergos site

I3wm

@dreamtraveler said in If i could make an Arch-Based Distro...:

Binaries… i dont know exactly what that is so i ll have to look it up

I guess you are a new user? Binary is the way archlinux/manjaro and almost every distros pack softwares/programs.
    Compilation is needed more for AUR packages (sometimes not actualy)

Well anyway i wish you luck and good studies, i learn a lot here doing experiments hehehe 😛

I have some questions

1. Is there a way to automate the process between source and binaries so that they will almost immediately be in sync ?
    2. Can Cnchi run without a desktop environment ?
    3. Does the address of each Git-Hub repository change and if so how often ? i ask cause i am thinking of making available the Git-Hub repos of Arch and all Arch-based distros prior installation.
    4. Is there a bug tracking software available for Arch - Arch based distros ? so that the bug tracker will report crashes and/or other issues to each developer(s) (team) respectively ?

I have some questions

Is there a way to automate the process between source and binaries so that they will almost immediately be in sync ?

I guess not, most likely you’ll need to create a script to do this.

Can Cnchi run without a desktop environment ?

No, you’ll need to create your own cnchi, or change the actual version. There is an old version (runs in terminal) that you could adapt to your needs; If i’m not mistaken it still comes in Antergos’ livecd.

Does the address of each Git-Hub repository change and if so how often ? i ask cause i am thinking of making available the Git-Hub repos of Arch and all arch-based distros prior installation.

No, the adress doesn’t change unless you rename the folders, repositories etc.

is there a bug tracking software available for Arch - Arch based distros so that the bug tracker will report crashes and or other issues to each developer(s) (team) respectively ?

Not that i know of.

Portergos site

I3wm

Is there a way to automate the process between source and binaries so that they will almost immediately be in sync ?

Can Cnchi run without a desktop environment ?

• it needs running X system and some libs to run also, but i do not think it will need a complete DE. (afaik)

Does the address of each Git-Hub repository change and if so how often ? i ask cause i am thinking of making available the Git-Hub repos of Arch and all Arch-based distros prior installation.

• this is depending on the maintainers itself, but if they maintain AUR PKGBUILDS or Archpackages they will not change it regularly.

Is there a bug tracking software available for Arch - Arch based distros ? so that the bug tracker will report crashes and/or other issues to each developer(s) (team) respectively ?

• bugs are reported by users to a bug tracking webside, hostet like a forum, and this side will notify the developers of the package/build they maintain, if they are subscribed into the system… github itself has also a bug tracking mechanism: https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues

how to add system logs:

• @joekamprad where can i see the base packages Arch uses in its .iso ?
    @joekamprad scratch that found it and thank you and @fernandomaroto for your answers

• Basicly what i am thinking is
    To create a .iso that will provide a GUI installer that will be able to read from an online source the addresses and the GPG-Key of all Git-Hub Arch-Arch-based distros and download almost everything including the kernel so that i wont be needing to update the .iso ever again.

I think i ask for too much though 😛

• I think that .iso would be more minimal than Arch 😛

• If this project would ever come to fruition i would call it G. U. I ArchLinux
    Git
    Universal
    Installer

Posts 19Views 985
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.