• Cinnamon - is currently running without video hardware acceleration

Hi all,

I’m running into an odd issue with Antergos Cinnamon where I can’t seem to get my Nvidia drivers running properly. When I boot I receive an error that Cinnamon is running in software rendering mode. I have a Nvidia 780ti graphics card.

//$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 [GeForce GTX 780] (rev a1)

I have the 387 driver installed

//$ nvidia-smi
    Sun Dec 17 23:58:56 2017       
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 387.34                 Driver Version: 387.34                    |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  GeForce GTX 780     Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 N/A |                  N/A |
    | 37%   27C    P8    N/A /  N/A |     94MiB /  3017MiB |     N/A      Default |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
    |  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |    0                    Not Supported                                       |

I ran nvidia-xserver to generage xorg.conf. I have tried installing the 340xxx driver(and utils and lib32, etc. Uninstalled everything associated with 387), to no avail. I made sure that nvidia-libgl and lib32-nvidia-utils are installed. I have completely uninstalled the nvidia drivers, rebooted to a cli terminal and re-installed them. I wanted to swap from noveau because I was having serious performance issues with games(CS:GO and Civ6 in particular). These are games that I was able to play without issue in Ubuntu and Arch(CS:GO only - Civ6 wasn’t out) previously with the proprietary drivers.

I’m not sure where to troubleshoot from here - any help would be appreciated

• @bruenor80 how do you install nvidia drivers?
    can you post the output of:

ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

you may try to install nvidia driver with our handy installer:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer
    nvidia-installer -t

if it gives no erroro message you can do the real install:

sudo nvidia-installer

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thanks for the reply!

//$ ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
    00-keyboard.conf  20-nvidia.conf  50-synaptics.conf  99-killX.conf

I ran the nvidia-installer as you suggested, it didn’t give any errors so ran the real install.

//nvidia-installer -t
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Antergos Nvidia Installer v1.12
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: All logs will be stored in /tmp/nvidia-installer.log
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Running the installer in testing mode...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Installing nvidia driver...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Removing conflicting packages...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Downloading and installing driver packages, please wait...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: pacman -Sqy --noconfirm --noprogressbar nvidia libvdpau lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-libvdpau
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Disabling bumblebeed.service service...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: systemctl disable bumblebeed.service
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Unpatching /usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: sed -i s|Exec=optirun -b none /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -c :8|Exec=/usr/bin/nvidia-settings| /usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf file...
    2017-12-18 20:47:31 [INFO]: Installation finished. Nothing has been modified as testing mode was ON.

I’m still seeing the same error upon boot.

• @bruenor80 said in Cinnamon - is currently running without video hardware acceleration:

I ran nvidia-xserver to generage xorg.conf

do you remove this not needed file from nvidia-xconfig already?

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad

Yes, I did…I ran into an older arch forum thread with a similar issue that was resolved by running that and didn’t realize it wasn’t needed anymore until later. I actually got it working late last night by booting to a terminal(multi-user target) and uninstalling everything to do with Nvidia and re-installing with the nvidia-installer that you recommended. Everything was working great on the reboot. Thanks for the help!

• thats good to hear!

Great to be helpfull, for you! And have fun with Antergos!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

cinnamon74 video24 running13 currently2 Posts 6Views 286
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.