• Install with vega rx64 card from live iso

Anyone know how to get the display up when using the live install media, tried the 17.12 iso but just get a blinking cursor in corner.

Currently have antergos installed and using AMD-staging with the AMD card. which is working a treat.
    However I was going to do a fresh install onto a new 960 pro nvme drive. Did a quick test with the latest iso and noticed no display.

Did try swapping tty’s but jumps straight back to the initial boot tty

Idea’s anyone ?

• I’m an idiot!!!

Forgot the no KMS option on boot!

• nomodeset

• I’m running into the same issue, even with nomodeset.

Steps I took:

1. Loaded the full Antergos Installation iso into a USB flash drive. I tried this with both DD mode and ISO mode (same error).
    2. Booted into the Antergos bootloader.
    3. Hit ‘E’ when highlighting the Antergos x86_64 installation to bring up the boot options.
    4. added nomodeset so that my bootloader options looks like this:
      (...) rd.udev.log-priority=crit quiet splash nomodeset.
    5. Hit ‘ENTER’.
    6. Then I see a grey splash screen with 3 large dots/squares/periods for about a second before it goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor.

Any ideas?

• @kaibyao and with: no KMS option on boot?

radeon.modeset=0

and remove also quiet splash then you can see boot messages

• @joekamprad Ah I did not add those options (thought nomodeset was enough). Will try that when I get home.

• @kaibyao it is supposed to be kinda the same, but more directly to radeon itself, so may it is the difference

• @joekamprad I added radeon.modeset=0 and removed quiet splash, still same result :( Is there a way to save the boot log somewhere?

• if it is the same issue as the post starter have not realy, you can try to boot without x starting by adding
    systemd.unit=multi-user.target as parameter instead of radeon.modeset=0

So you can login to CLI (TTY)

there you can typdmesg journalctl journalctl -b -0 or this to autopastebin:
    journalctl journalctl -b -0 | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1 (it will give an url you can post)

• @joekamprad Thanks for the help. Attaching the log: https://ptpb.pw/uX1V

Things I saw:
    [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS supoprt in radeon module!
    sp5100_cto: I/O address 0x0cd6 already in use
    systemd[1]: Failed to start Mount ZFS filesystems.
    kvm: disabled by bios
    [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.
    systemd-coredump[539] Process 451 (plymouthd) of user 0 dumped core.

• DMI: System manufacturer System Product Name/ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING, BIOS 3401 12/04/2017
    If this is your Mainboard there is a BIOS/FIRMWARE update pushed out by ASUS https://www.asus.com/en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

May it is solving your issue, as Asus do not say much about what they solve with updates…

kvm: disabled by bios

VT-x and/or VT-d disabled in BIOS --> enable it !

This is also interesting:
    [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

• thats maybe interesting @developers?

Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 zed[544]: ZFS Event Daemon 0.7.4-1 (PID 544)
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 zed[544]: Failed to initialize libzfs
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 livecd[542]: sed: can't read /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf: No such file or directory
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 dbus-daemon[546]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1'
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager...
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Started Daily man-db cache update.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Reached target Timers.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Started Save/Restore Sound Card State.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: zfs-zed.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: zfs-zed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd-logind[543]: New seat seat0.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Started Login Service.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 zfs[577]: The ZFS modules are not loaded.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 zfs[577]: Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: zfs-share.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: zfs-share.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jan 26 21:51:14 ant-18.1 systemd[1]: Failed to start ZFS file system shares.

• I ended up installing via Arch Linux and ran into a similar GUI issue until I saw these from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU:

Note: AMD DC is only available since kernel 4.15

and

Make sure you do not have nomodeset or vga= as a kernel parameter, since amdgpu requires KMS.

Once I updated my kernel to linux-mainline, which is on 4.15rc8, I could finally boot up into GNOME.

It seems that until the stable branch’s kernel is updated to 4.15 + amdgpu is packaged with the installer, AMD Vega users will have to stick with Arch. Thanks for all the help anyway.

• would be possible to get into antergos installer live if you have an internal graphiccard onto the mainboard too…

• @joekamprad Unfortunately my motherboard does not have an integrated graphics controller (Asus ROG Strix B350F Gaming), I guess my situation is a bit more rare. I appreciate all the help though!

• There is the one thing i was kinda scratch the head that in former time before we get this open source drivers, it was always possible to boot into graphic environment with a vesa driver (fallback).

Today, if you have a new card it is come common that you need to wait till the normal driver + kernel is getting the card working…

iso80 live54 vega1 rx641 Posts 16Views 1214
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.