• NVIDIA GTX 1050 install

Hi

After saving first everything on board, I wish to install the drivers for my GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] to replace nouveau.

I checked on the NVIDIA site, the latest version (nov 2017) recommended for this card is 384.98. Currently the drivers on the antergos list go as far as 387, so I guess I get it covered.

Last May, on an old computer, I just installed NVIDIA drivers using this command:

sudo pacman -S nividia-installer

Before updating, I would like to know if I need to add some more commands, for example to get DKMS or if I must add in the first command other things, like nvidia or nvidia-dkms, etc.

• sudo pacman -S nividia-installer

will install only the installer to get the driver installed youi need still to run it.

howto antergos nvidia-installer

if you want to use nvidia-dkms i would first install with nvidia-installer (it creates configs) and then change to nvidia-dkms installing this with pacman:
    sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms linux-headers

If you want to usenvidia-settings tooll install this too:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-settings

• Thanks Joe for the link

Seems I am a bit out of touch with this laptop…

[[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-installer -t
    2017-12-15 21:41:22 [INFO]: Antergos Nvidia Installer v1.12
    2017-12-15 21:41:22 [INFO]: All logs will be stored in /tmp/nvidia-installer.log
    2017-12-15 21:41:22 [INFO]: Running the installer in testing mode...
    2017-12-15 21:41:22 [ERROR]: Couldn't find a driver suitable for your graphics card.
    [[email protected] ~]$

Should I download it manually from NVIDIA and give its path to the script?

• no as you can see with nvidia-installer -h(help show options) you can force installation as it will download the driver from our repository and it is strictly recommended to do so (so not using the files directly from nvidia!!!)

sudo nvidia-installer -fto install prop. nvidia driver
    sudo nvidia-driver -n to revert to nouveau

he installer readas a list of nvidia cards, and if you one is not inside it fails, but if you force, it will install the latest one, what is the right one for your card!
    may also o helper is to get nvidia-firmware:

nouveau-fw

• Well, the script nvidia-installer freezes my computer, at least it did it two times. On reboot, I still have problems with network and had better reinstall (thanks Clonezilla). Something is wrong, not with your script but with my computer.

I fail to understand what happens but the fact is that my computer is unstable (I had presumed it was due to nouveau and that’s why I wanted to install the Nvidia drivers). Some actions do freeze it regularly but not so severely (usually after a reboot, it’s OK).

For example I cannot stop it or reboot normally, I have to use sudo poweroff -f with a subsequent break of some inodes that happen when it’s done uncleanly. Or when I launch a script like inxi, some few minutes after that, I also get a freeze.

I think the best is to open a dedicated thread for this.

• you can change the topic also ;)

Would be interesting to get a allaround system summery:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

• lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

This did not yield any result because of a reported mistake about ptpb.pw? but it did provoke a soft freeze: no more terminal, no more firefox, and after a hard reboot, OK again.

Should I open the new topic in this sub-forum (kernel and hardware) or somewhere else?

• @roger64 said in NVIDIA GTX 1050 install:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

very strange it is working without error here…
    But may you are right open a new one and we go figure out what is wrong at yours!

• @roger64 said in NVIDIA GTX 1050 install:

GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile

may be bumblebee?

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

You can also try boot up with the installer ISO to give as much information on system for us.
    As the livenvironment may do not freeze like the installed system.

Also if you tinker before on the system it would be helpfull that you give info about what you have done before, and what exactly you are choosing on installation.

• Hi this is to report full success installing the nvidia drivers using the bumblebee Antergos script. Install was a breeze and everything is working. A big thanks to Antergos and both of you.

• I checked the BIOS. The entry graphic device let me toggle between [discrete] (already selected) and [UMA only]. I left unchanged.
        Discrete enable the integrated (here Intel) and discrete (here NVIDIA) graphic controller. System will choose graphic controller according to the user scenario.
        UMA only enable integrated graphic controller only. Windows XP need choose UMA only.
      • Now the magic with only: #nvidia-installer -b
    [[email protected] roger]# nvidia-installer -b
    2017-12-17 17:02:29 [INFO]: Antergos Nvidia Installer v1.12
    2017-12-17 17:02:29 [INFO]: All logs will be stored in /tmp/nvidia-installer.log
    2017-12-17 17:02:29 [INFO]: Installing bumblebee driver...
    2017-12-17 17:02:29 [INFO]: Removing conflicting packages...
    2017-12-17 17:02:29 [INFO]: Downloading and installing driver packages, please wait...
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: Adding user roger to bumblebee group...
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: gpasswd -a roger bumblebee
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: Adding user roger to video group...
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: gpasswd -a roger video
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: Enabling bumblebeed.service service...
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: Patching /usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop...
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf not found. That's ok.
    2017-12-17 17:04:43 [INFO]: Installation finished. You need to reboot now!
    [[email protected] roger]# 

• On reboot, everything is in perfect order. No more freeze for example when shutting down. Boot time goes from nearly 25 seconds (very long for a SSD) to some few seconds.
nvidia152 gtx5 10501 Posts 10Views 1752
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.