• More Shutter-related blues

I swear, trying to run Shutter on Antergos has been the most vexing problem I have ever encountered. My gray hair is multiplying exponentially, and this flat spot on my forehead is starting to crack the surface of my desk.

On a 64 bit machine, I tried to run a yaourt -Syua and saw the following output -

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)  
    :: Starting full system upgrade...  
    :: shutter: requires perl-pathtools

Figuring I was missing something, I decided to try to run sudo pacman -Syu, which returned the following output -

I turned to a 32 bit machine and tried the same things, only to see the same results. I edited /etc/pacman.conf, using every method I could imagine, to prevent Shutter from being updated, but nothing worked. Since I do not use the 32 bit machine as much, I decided to remove Shutter with sudo pacman -Rns shutter. And, as you might expect, once Shutter was gone and away, the update ran smooth as butter.

But, also as you might expect, I am unable to re-install Shutter on that machine.

I moved back to this 64 bit machine, and tried everything I had already tried on the 32 bit machine. (Wasn’t it Einstein who defined insanity as doing the same things, whilst expecting different results?) Anyway, long story short, I ended up removing Shutter to run the updates.

I also have Arch installed on this machine, so I booted into Arch and saw all the same issues.

It may sound like a minor issue, but I use Shutter, multiple times a day, each and every day. I operate several Web sites, and the ability to take a quick screenshot, and then easily edit it is something I really need. And now, in order to use Shutter, I either have to shut down Antergos, to re-boot into a dated Arch install, or I turn to a third machine that has Shutter installed on Linux Mint.

I really like the cutting edge quality of Antergos/Arch, and I try to approach running it with an ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ attitude, but this one is really trying my patience. I don’t want to run Linux Mint, nor do I want to run Arch that is in need up updating. But it seems I cannot run Shutter in Antergos, so those are my only other options.

Can someone please explain what I am missing on all this?

• I swear, trying to run Shutter on Antergos has been the most vexing problem I have ever encountered. My gray hair is multiplying exponentially, and this flat spot on my forehead is starting to crack the surface of my desk.

On a 64 bit machine, I tried to run a yaourt -Syua and saw the following output -

Figuring I was missing something, I decided to try to run sudo pacman -Syu, which returned the following output -

I turned to a 32 bit machine and tried the same things, only to see the same results. I edited /etc/pacman.conf, using every method I could imagine, to prevent Shutter from being updated, but nothing worked. Since I do not use the 32 bit machine as much, I decided to remove Shutter with sudo pacman -Rns shutter. And, as you might expect, once Shutter was gone and away, the update ran smooth as butter.

But, also as you might expect, I am unable to re-install Shutter on that machine.

I moved back to this 64 bit machine, and tried everything I had already tried on the 32 bit machine. (Wasn’t it Einstein who defined insanity as doing the same things, whilst expecting different results?) Anyway, long story short, I ended up removing Shutter to run the updates.

I also have Arch installed on this machine, so I booted into Arch and saw all the same issues.

It may sound like a minor issue, but I use Shutter, multiple times a day, each and every day. I operate several Web sites, and the ability to take a quick screenshot, and then easily edit it is something I really need. And now, in order to use Shutter, I either have to shut down Antergos, to re-boot into a dated Arch install, or I turn to a third machine that has Shutter installed on Linux Mint.

I really like the cutting edge quality of Antergos/Arch, and I try to approach running it with an ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ attitude, but this one is really trying my patience. I don’t want to run Linux Mint, nor do I want to run Arch that is in need up updating. But it seems I cannot run Shutter in Antergos, so those are my only other options.

Can someone please explain what I am missing on all this?

• I gave up on shutter not very long after you first introduced me to it

Cheers!

• It’s too bad that shutter is out of date. I hope someone comes along to pick it up

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• Dustin, I think I can live with HotShots. I’ve used Shutter so long that it will take some practice to get used to the HotShots UI, but I can make it work for what I need to do. So, whilst it really doesn’t fix the Shutter problem, it will allow me to keep working, without having to move to another partition, or another machine, take a screenshot, edit it, upload it to OwnCloud, then download it back into the Antergos partition. I can update both Arch and Antergos, I can still edit screenshots and that is all I really need, at the end of the day. Thanks for the tip!

Max, I’m with you, I hope to see Shutter tuned up, somewhere down the road.

Here’s a good one on me. I booted up Arch in VirtualBox and installed HotShots there. Without thinking, I went to the Antergos menu, and there is no HotShots. Scratching my head, I began to wonder if maybe the menu would not update without logging out and back in, ala Firefox. I closed down the Firefox instance I had running and restarted Arch. I checked the menu, and there was HotShots. Success! I reopened Firefox, then managed to go back to the Antergos menu. naturally, there was no HotShots. Suddenly, I realized I was using the wrong menu. Sheesh. I took a screenshot and opened the editor, to see how those tools worked. I saved the edited image, minimized HotShots, and without thinking, minimized VirtualBox, rather than just minimizing the Firefox window in VirtualBox. That left me looking at my Antergos desktop, with no screenshot image to be found.

• we’ve all been there! haha

Posts 6Views 924