• install antergos from a internal hd

Hi. I have a lenovo laptop with a defective uefi/bios because it doesn’t see usb stick attached at boot (after, they work). the only thing that works is the internal hd. so this is the problem. I have ubuntu and wanted to switch to antergos. I thought to create a separate partition where to put my iso image and find a way to install antergos directly from this internal partition in the hd instead of a usb stick.
    but I have no idea how to do it.
    is it possible? can somebody guide me?
    thanks

• @giorsat
    hi!
    yes create your partition and add the iso image in your Ubuntu partition, then edit grub like these posts
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/8097/install-from-an-iso-file-without-burning/5

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thankyou!

• @giorsat
    I’m a dumb person so I ask:

• when I create the "antergos " partition, should I copy the big iso file or the “exploded” ones (the ones I find in the usb stick after dd?
    • given that the label of the partition where I copy antergos is OSPART is it right to write in grub
      menuentry “Antergos ISO partition” {
      set label=OSPART # give your partition label here
      search --set --no-floppy --label $label
      linux /arch/boot/vmlinuz root=OSPART=$label archisolabel=$label rw quiet
      initrd /arch/boot/archiso.img
  • @giorsat said in install antergos from a internal hd:

should I copy the big iso file or the “exploded” ones (the ones I find in the usb stick after dd?

don’t use dd in this case, simply copy and paste the iso you downloaded directly from Antergos’ site

the name is from the iso like antergos-17.12-x86_64.iso and the path is where you downloaded the iso

menuentry "Antergos" {
            set isofile="/home/fernando/antergos-17.9-x86_64.iso"
            loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
            linux (loop)/arch/boot/vmlinuz archisolabel=antergos-17.9-x86_64 img_dev=/dev/sda5 img_loop=$isofile earlymodules=loop
            initrd (loop)/arch/boot/archiso.img
    }

Portergos site

I3wm

• Ok. so I copy the one big file

• is it ok how I write the grub menu entry? does it work if I have only one internal hard disk and the partition with the iso file is sda5 while I install in sda1 (root) sda3(home)?
  • ok. big problem … the /home partition to shrink is xfs fileystem so it cannot be reduced… Now I’m lost.

• It may not work if the installer is on the same disk as installation target. I suggest you copy the ISO file into the root folder of a USB disk as-is (just the ISO file!). Then write this to /boot/grub/custom.cfg in Ubuntu (hopefully it boots):
    menuentry “Antergos ISO file” {
    set isofile=/antergos-17.12-x86_64.iso
    search --no-floppy --set=root --file $isofile # get $root of the $isofile
    probe -l $root --set=label # get $label of the $root
    set img_dev=/dev/disk/by-label/$label
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/arch/boot/vmlinuz img_dev=$img_dev img_loop=$isofile
    initrd (loop)/arch/boot/archiso.img
    }

• Make a backup of your /home partition, then you can restore it before or after install.

• @giorsat said in install antergos from a internal hd:

ok. big problem … the /home partition to shrink is xfs fileystem so it cannot be reduced… Now I’m lost.

i don’t know about xfs filesystem, but i guess you’ll need to backup your files as @manuel said then reformat your partition to ext4 or any other format you want, shrink the hd as you want, fix your fstab to properly mount your new /home, restore your backup, then install anergos using the extra space.

You’ll need some trial and error and perseverance. I wish you good luck!

Portergos site

I3wm

• @manuel thank you. this is helpful.

• @giorsat So did you manage to solve this? 🙂

• It works perfectly… now it’s installing. I suspect ubuntu 17.10 breaks something in the uefi because after installing antergos the bios has started again to see usb sticks. by the way. usb sticks in my lenovo don’t work also under ubuntu (no copy). I had to use a usb disk.

• @giorsat
    Great to hear it works! 🙂 Do you feel you can mark this as solved?

Sounds very strange that Ubuntu would break something in UEFI so that it doesn’t recognize USB sticks (maybe some of the USB ports is broken?). But if that’s the case, nice that Antergos could fix it! 😉

• i found on imternet, ubuntu bug system only has hundreds of lenovo.users with bios destroied after installing ubuntu 17.10. seems they are growing every day. the bios is crippled completely

• @geolab said in install antergos from a internal hd:

i found on imternet

can you post the links you found about it?

Portergos site

I3wm

internal6 Posts 16Views 376
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.