• How often does Antergos break on you?

I’ve tried antergos about 1 year ago and it broke right after the first installation. Problems with lightdm I think, don’t quite remember. I managed to fix it but then something else happened and I just gave up.

Now, I’m taking a look at it again. I’m running it on a test machine that I’ll run for a few days/weeks and see how it goes, before installing on my main computers.

So, my question is:

• How often does Antergos break on you?

I want to use Antergos on all my machines (work) and I don’t want it to break as I don’t have the time, nor the patience, to fix things that shouldn’t be broken to begin with.

Please give me your experiences regarding this topic.

EDIT: I plan to use XFCE.

• …my question is:

• How often does Antergos break on you?..
    • Antergos - once a year, only minor annoyances
    • Arch - never

Provided they’re upgraded daily.

Arch stability is intrinsic. It doesn’t depend on DE.

• I’ve used some precautions (for the paranoid I guess… ;)):

• installed also another linux distro (Arch or Manjaro) just in case something needs to be fixed
    • installed another kernel in Antergos in case the “daily” kernel does not work
    • update Antergos usually daily but at least once a week

Antergos Xfce has worked very reliably for me, and in case of rare problems the precautions above have been helpful.

Please note that there is no such thing as an operating system that absolutely never breaks. But preparing for problems is in my mind the best advice.

And backups are one of, if not, the most important precautions.

• what does it mean at all “breaks” ???

braking means unable to repair, and this happens almost never, if you use the system as it is without tinkering to much, and without AUR enabled.
    breaking is caused mostly by tinkering the system, or major changing updates…
    This is my experience on 4 different systems running Antergos.

And BACKUPS! i backup only my packages-list and /home and some configs:
    packages list by simple pacman comand, configs on github, /home with backintime (yes i know not cool but try to find something casual, i can offer for common users 😉 )

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    i3-°-GNOME <-- yes i just switch back!

• My system is working fine and stable for more than 9 months i think, which is since i stopped using it as a “Guinea pig” (from google translator).

If you consider lightdm “behaviour” as annoyances/bugs then you’ll probably face your first bug right after install. heheheh

I recommend right after installing Antergos you install sddm in place of lightdm and also LTS kernel, that will cover some problems you may face (login manager and hardware detection).

Portergos site

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Antergos never broke over here on itself, only when I was tinkering and experimenting on it, which I sometimes do on my private laptop. It really depends on what you’re going to do with the OS, if you just use it for average use, there will be no major problems. If there is a problem, just ask over here and there’s always someone who can help you out. I’ve got a small company and I use Antergos for it without any breakage or inconvenience.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.

• Well, one (a bit laborious) way to try to be on the safe side is to test all updates in a virtual machine first, before updating your real systems.
    This can catch some of the potential updating problems, but naturally not all, especially those that depend on your hardware.
    I used to do this before, but nowadays not often, since Antergos (with Xfce) has been very stable.
    And of course, you can look at the Arch linux (https://www.archlinux.org/) and Antergos web pages before doing an update - there may some important information about the update.

• Never. Using Antergos for 3 years

Posts 8Views 341
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.