• Bumblebee inactive. Discrete video card is off Geforce 680m

Hello! I have a Msi gt60-one with nvidia gforce 680M with intel hd graphics. My OS is Antergos-17.12-x86_64 Linux. The problem is that when I do in Konsole:

• yaourt -Syyua
      sudo pacman -S linux-headers bumblebee bbswitch primus lib32-primus nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-settings

or:

• sudo pacman -S bumblebee mesa xf86-video-intel nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-virtualgl nvidia-settings bbswitch

after I do:

• sudo gpasswd -a $USER bumblebee
      sudo gpasswd -a $USER video
      sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
    • optirun --status

• Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

• sudo pacman -U bumblebee-3.2.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
      bumblebee (3.2.1-15 => 3.2.1-11)
      :: bumblebee and nvidia-utils are conflicts (nvidia-libgl). Do you want to delete it nvidia-utils? [y/N]

If I push yes, and delete nvidia-utils, I will get new conflicts with another packets from nvidia. It method doesn’t work in this case, and if I will delete all nvidia packets, after I will install just is only one bumblebee patch from all is this, and will try again the instruction, I will get a proposal to update my old version of bumblebee, and just is only after I can get new packet drivers.

• sudo rmmod nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
      sudo tee <<<OFF /proc/acpi/bbswitch

optirun --status
    Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

optirun pwd && sleep 1 && sudo rmmod nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia && sudo tee <<<OFF /proc/acpi/bbswitch

I tryed to “Turning Off Nvidia Automatically”:

"Download the file and install it normally with pacman, like any other package:"
    sudo pacman -U /path/to/package/bumblebee-3.2.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    "The package has no dependencies. During installation it will issue three informational messages. They may be safely ignored.

With the package installed, pacman and pamac will issue the warning on subsequent system’s upgrades. It may be safely ignored as well:

warning: bumblebee: local (3.2.1-11) is newer than community (3.2.1-10)"

• sudo shutdown -r now

And now: “Fine tuning NVIDIA Optimus settings”

• optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8

5_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145427.png 4_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145114.png 3_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145100.png 2_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145046.png 1_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145037.png 0_1512653243793_Screenshot_20171207_145019.png

Thanks.

• @mikhail2013ru said in Bumblebee inactive. Discrete video card is off Geforce 680m:

after I do:

sudo pacman -U bumblebee-3.2.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Missing power off bug was present in autumn 2015 - summer 2016 period. The bumblebee-3.2.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz package was fixing the missing power off bug.

In June 2016 the error was solved upstream. Since that date, the package is not needed anymore. Do not install it.

• I didn’t understand can I play with priorietary driver without it package, and will my graphic card work true? Will I need to delete Bumblebee 3.2.1.15 installed now, and what should I install instead of it? I wouldn’t like to use nvidia-Prime as an alternative Bumblebee 3.2.1.15… Can you explain the situation in detail?

• @mikhail2013ru said in Bumblebee inactive. Discrete video card is off Geforce 680m:

I didn’t understand can I play with priorietary driver without it package,…

Yes, it will work. SImply skip, ignore all Wiki parts which talk about missing power off.

I’m backing up my computers now, and without access to Arch distros I can’t check the exact version of installed bumblebee package.

Do not install bumblebee-3.2.1-11-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz package, included in the Wiki. The newer, working version will be installed during a regular installation.

Will I need to delete Bumblebee 3.2.1.15 installed now,…

First, I’d try to completely uninstall Bumblebee. The Wiki describes, how to do it.

Then, I’d re-install Bumblebee again. Ignoring all info and the package, related to missing power off bug.

Can you explain the situation in detail?

I have nothing to add to the WIki. All details are included in the article.

yaourt -Syyua
    sudo pacman -S linux-headers bumblebee bbswitch primus lib32-primus nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-settings

I have installed to it instruction in a clean(new) distributive Antergos, and tryed to test in Konsole: optirun --status, I got the: Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

First, I’d try to completely uninstall Bumblebee. The Wiki describes, how to do it.
    Then, I’d re-install Bumblebee again. Ignoring all info and the package, related to missing power off bug.

I have already read Wiki describes, and does it. Now is already installed nvidia drivers with necessary packages without the Bumblebee.

I mean a new package of Bumblebee, not a patch fix. The fix patch doesn’t work with new nvidia packages, and the last version of Bumblebee too, that’s the problem.
    Without Bumblebee at all my Geforce 680m isn’t active.
    How can I tell the developers about it?

The fix patch doesn’t work with new nvidia packages,…

That is correct. No patch is needed at all nowdays. Forget about the patch. Do not use it.

…and the last version of Bumblebee too, that’s the problem.

Sorry, I don’t follow you. What doesn’t work?

The patch? It must not be used, it must not work, that is correct.

Bumblebee? What makes you think so?

• optirun --statusBumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

optirun pwd && sleep 1 && sudo rmmod nvidia_modeset nvidia && sudo tee <<<OFF /proc/acpi/bbswitch

rmmod: ERROR: Module nvidia_modeset is not currently loaded
    rmmod: ERROR: Module nvidia is not currently loaded

optirun --statusBumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

This is Ok. nVidia GPU is always switched Off by default.

rmmod: ERROR: Module nvidia_modeset is not currently loaded

This is Ok. nVdidia modules aren’t loaded by default. It’s useless to try to remove them.

rmmod: ERROR: Module nvidia is not currently loaded

This is Ok. nVdidia modules aren’t used or loaded by default.

What are the results of Bmb tests on Intel and nVidia GPUs?

• Ok, I understood the idea:

“nVdidia modules aren’t used or loaded by default.” - So, I use it project:

[http://portwine-linux.ru/steam-linux/](link url)

If you didn’t know about it early, today it is a great way to play most old games in Linux. Project made by Russian enthusiast is a free in last year, and had a success, I tested several old games from my steam, and have a very good opinion. Several time early I played without any problems, but now I see a message “my geforce 680m is turned off” and games started in intel hd. What can I do to play with geforce 680m?

What can I do to play with geforce 680m?

Run it with optirun prefix.

• Konsole wrote:

• ERROR: Error querying connected displays on GPU 0 (Missing Extension).

ERROR: Error resolving target specification ‘gpu:0’ (No targets match target
    specification), specified in assignment ‘[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1’.

I think Bumblebee must to enable my geforce 680m… and give a maximum GPU Performance for gaming too, but it doesn’t happening now… That’s the problem, and not only in the: “nVdidia modules aren’t used or loaded by default.”

• Bumblebee doesn’t use nVidia GPU by default. Default Bumblebee behaviour is to always use Intel GPU. It allows to save the power, and to avoid laptop’s overheating. nVidia GPU, under Bumblebee control, must be always switched off. As reported by the optirun --status command:

$ optirun --status
    Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

If nVidia GPU remains switched on, it is an abnormal Bumblebee behaviour. This is what is called Missing power off bug in the Wiki.

A command, an application, a program will run on nVidia GPU only when it is explicitly called with optirun prefix. Without optirun it will executed on Intel GPU. An example:

• pwd - print working directory command will be executed on Intel GPU

• optirun pwd - print working directory command will be executed on nVidia GPU

optirun command:

• switches nVidia on upon startup
    • executes a command on nVidia
    • switches nVidia off when terminates
video23 inactive2 discrete2 bumblebee34 Posts 12Views 259