• Boot delay after upgrade

Recently, after upgrading with pacman -Syy and pacman -Syu, I noticed a considerable increase in my laptop’s boot times and the following message started appearing:

[drm:wait_panel_status [i915]] *ERROR* PPS state mismatch

I think it is worth mentioning that -among other packages- the kernel got an upgrade too as can be seen in /var/log/pacman.log:

[2017-12-04 22:11] [ALPM] upgraded linux (4.13.12-1 -> 4.14.3-1)

That being said, I honestly don’t know if that’s what caused the issue, thus I’m posting here instead of the Kernel & Hardware subforum.

Replacing the quiet kernel parameter with debug showed that the boot hangs (for 40 seconds roughly) while random: crng init done is on the screen.
    I tried # bootctl update, which however, didn’t seem to change anything.

Not being sure whether the delay and the error messages are connected, what I care about the most is the delay. Is there any way to fix it? I thought about downgrading the kernel or switching to lts, but I am not really familiar with the procedure and would like to avoid it unless it is necessary.

Further information:

• Both my / and /home folders are on an LVM2 partition, while my /boot and my swap are on separate partitions. A while before performing the aforementioned upgrade, I took a snapshot of my / logical volume
    # lvs
      LV         VG      Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
      BeforeKate LVGroup swi-a-s---  30.00g      Root   5.75                                   
      Home       LVGroup -wi-ao---- 370.00g                                                    
      Root       LVGroup owi-aos---  30.00g

• I have changed my root kernel param from root=UUID=... to root=/dev/mapper/LVGroup-Root as instructed in the corresponding ArchWiki article and my mkinitcpio hooks include the ones mentioned in the same article (the busybox ones, although I cannot tell if those are the ones I should have). I also have enabled lvm2-monitor.service
    • I am using systemd-boot (chose it over grub when installing antergos)
    • My laptop is a Lenovo 310-15ISK with an i3-6100U CPU and Intel HD Graphics 520
    • I uploaded a few logs and file contents to my dropbox, since I had trouble uploading them here

Excuse me for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as I could.

• @Badlife
    Not sure about the actual reason for the delay, but it might be worth while to test your system with the linux-lts kernel, since this started after upgrading your kernel. Just install it with

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

and reboot to the linux-lts kernel.

upgrade43 delay3 boot184 Posts 2Views 131