• Gnome 3 change the name "Computer" that appears in Nautilus

Hello people, i have a question regarding gnome 3 desktop environment, when i open nautilus and then go to “+ Other Locations” the disk that contains the OS is named “Computer”
    0_1512007288395_Screenshot from 2017-11-30 03-58-17.png
    … is there a way to change that name to OS ? thanks.

• Hi there!

I’m afraid that in Nautilus, that may not be possible. (It’s not really known for being overly configurable ;)).

Wish I could help more.

• ok… i am gonna write a pretty nasty e-mail to nautilus developers assuming i can find their addresses…

• @dreamtraveler same as writing an email to /dev/zero ;)

Looks like hardcoded into the file: nautilus-places-sidebar.c of the sources, so you will need to recompile for change it:
    Bild Text

• @joekamprad

0_1512048481406_aaaaaaaaaa.png
    Possibly it’s silly what I say, but with PCManFM I have no problem changing those names, obviously Nautilus is different, but you have tried to change the name Computer on that line, for example by Device, obviously always leaving and such is the syntax of the parentheses and so on; and then restart, it has worked for me, maybe I’m wrong, I do not know …

• @joekamprad said in Gnome 3 change the name "Computer" that appears in Nautilus:

nautilus-places-sidebar.c

is from nautilus source, and do not exist as a file on installation, it is inside the binary.

• Grigorakis Konstantinos [email protected]
    To [email protected] Nov 30 at 1:43 PM
    Subject “Computer” Really!?

What were you thinking ? who the fuck names the hard drive that contains the Operating System “Computer” !? Huh ? you either name it “Operating System” or “OS” or “System” or even better don’t name it at all just display the label of each drive FFS people.

That was my e-mail, still awaits moderation but then i installed mirc just to go to irc.gnome.org and join the channel #nautilus and paste it right into their faces then i closed mirc and uninstalled it.

• I’m not using Nautilus, but if that “Computer” is the volume label of a disk partition, then you can rename it with command

sudo e2label /dev/sdXY "some-name"

See

sudo blkid | grep -i Computer

to find it out your X and Y.

• nothing related to real name of device/partition it is hardcoded not something it reads from somewhere

• @joekamprad
    So it seems to be hardcoded. Quite a strange design choice by Gnome/Nautilus people. They probably copied that design from Windows.

• sure this is a copy paste from windows…

• @joekamprad said in Gnome 3 change the name "Computer" that appears in Nautilus:

gtkplacessidebar.c

Just out of curiosity, I’m trying to find this file in my system, but am having no luck. Would you know where to find it @joekamprad?

Thanks!

• @Keegan said in Gnome 3 change the name "Computer" that appears in Nautilus:

gtkplacessidebar.c

$ which gtkplacessidebar
    which: no gtkplacessidebar in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)

• @Keegan this is from source of nautilus/gtk and to change it needs to recompile nautilus… /usr/bin/nautilus is a binary then

• Ah… that makes more sense. Thanks @joekamprad😀.

Posts 16Views 1303
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.