• Is there a new way to install and get the Nvidia drivers working?

so normally after a fresh install of antergos i simply do

sudo pacman -S nvidia
    sudo pacman -S nvidia-utils
    sudo pacman -S lib32-nvidia-libgl

to get the nvidia drivers working and it has always worked till the latest version of the iso
    now i am left with a blinking line with no text and no graphics no errors, so i do

startx

and it says xorg isn’t installed, i have heard something about some distros changing to some new type of display(ing) way but i have no idea what i would do to get them working now

system info
    graphics: Nvidia gtx 1080
    processor: intel i7 6700k
    motherborad: msi z170a sli plus

there’s the main stuff
    any help would be appreciated, thank you

• That’s unusual. You are probably talking about Wayland, but Antergos still uses xorg. Are you just at a blinking (unresponsive) cursor or are you at a text terminal prompt?

Never mind. You said you tried startx, so at a terminal. Try:

sudo pacman -S xorg xorg-xinit

and reboot.

If that doesn’t start up your GUI, also try:

sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter
    sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service

and reboot.

• alas this did not work,even tried gdm to make sure
    but i did find this nifty little iso going to try it out

http://kamprad.net/Downloads/Antergos-Nvidia-ISO/

• @lemler3 for some OD reason the live iso boot and uses the nvidia drivers but doesn’t use them even when u choose for it to use proprietary

• The live images can be finicky about loading drivers. I have a GeForce 1050 Ti and I am able to get by with non-free and installing Nvidia, etc. once I am in the finished install.

My laptop has a GeForce 980 GTX and integrated Intel and I have to use modprobe.blacklist=nouveau to get the installer to boot correctly.

• @Palanthis perhaps it is my new card. tried out the antergos nvidia-installer and ill just link it here
    https://imgur.com/a/nzLCr

going to try my old 1060 it use to work but we will find out

• i found the issue the kernel isn’t compatible with the new nvidia drivers yet
    i feel this took to long to find out

• @Palanthis effing finally got it working! with the 1080 too jeesuuuus!! had to roll back the kernel to 4.9.65-1-lts and had to use nvidia drivers from their site ver384.98
    now to find a way to auto boot grub into the lts kernel and ill be set
    thanks for all your help

• @lemler3 AWESOME!!! Nice work! Happy to help any time!

I would have to double check. I think you either move it up the list or change the default in the cfg file. I will test some settings before bed.

• As Antergos have a submenu into GRUB none of this working by default…

https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-make-grub-boot-different-kernels-by-default/
    Has a workaround, but it makes use of grub-customizer…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad
    For me submenu seems to work, but I have in /etc/default/grub these two things set:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"

EDIT: did you mean submenu does not work with the USB-stick at install time?

• @manuel that’s but I already used grub customer and it worked great

• @lemler3
    I haven’t used grub-customizer but probably it can fix things in many cases. I just prefer to do grub related things manually… :)

• @manuel I know what you mean I’m more of a if it works kind of guy then why not use it

• @lemler3
    That’s quite understandable, and I sometimes do that too just to get things working quickly.
    But, as mentioned in many places, AUR packages are not officially supported (they are user made packages) and thus may also cause problems. So you use them at your own risk (sounds like a standard disclaimer). ;)

• “Arch User Repository - Keep good backups!”

That being said, I love the AUR. I just keep very detailed notes of everything I install from there.

• @Palanthis
    That’s a solid advice, too. From AUR I install only if I really need something, and nothing similar is available from the official packages.

• @lemler3 said in Is there a new way to install and get the Nvidia drivers working?:

@Palanthis effing finally got it working! with the 1080 too jeesuuuus!! had to roll back the kernel to 4.9.65-1-lts and had to use nvidia drivers from their site ver384.98
    now to find a way to auto boot grub into the lts kernel and ill be set
    thanks for all your help

It sounds like this is my problem too! I’ve been struggling with this for a while.

I’m going to give it a go now.

• @evaljim let me know if you need help with anything

drivers34 nvidia113 Posts 21Views 415