• zpool wouldn't boot

Hey,

what’s up. Really like the distro so far - however, all the time I’ve been using it (besides trying it in a VM) has been in the liveUSB since my zpool wouldn’t boot.

The first time I tried installing it, I selected force 4k sectors, named my pool rpool (RIP Solaris), I don’t think there was any more options (?) The bootloader was grub (only one available) and the disk was GPT.

Trying to import the pool was futile, as it locked up the computer, even though the zfs module was loaded (ala # modprobe zfs). I’m not sure if I would have been able to rebuild using # mkinitcpio -P linux-lts where I was, but I didn’t think of it until now.

I’m back in the LiveUSB trying to install it again completely stock (without choosing any options). Partition scheme still GPT because, you know, it’s the 21st century and it’s not a VMWare VM… Hopefully it will work this time…

Anybody know where I went wrong? I’ve been struggling to get ZFS on root with Arch for days and I’m just looking for the easiest out possible. If this doesn’t work I guess I’m going back to BTRFS:panda_face:

Thanks!
    A.NewB

Antergos x86_64 ZFS root w/Cinnamon est Nov 25, 2017 – because after a long week of struggling, I got tired of trying to put Arch on ZFS root…

"Linux … is more a phenomenon than an OS" - Joekamprad

• @judd

I’m not sure if zpool.cache was the issue, since after I reinstalled, although the zpool didn’t load the first time, it did load manually and then upon reboot it started booting properly. So that made me very, very happy.

I did take a picture of it in case it’s an issue for anyone else, moving forward… Here’s what it says:

0_1511651275070_zfs_root_issue_1_small.jpg

ERROR:  resume: no device specified for hibernation
    cannot import 'antergos_kck6' : pool was previously in use from another computer
    Last accessed by <unknown> (hostID=0) at Sat Nov 25 21:03:23 2017
    The pool can be imported, use 'zpool import -f' to import the pool.
    (repeated above message twice)
    ERROR: Failed to mount the real root device.
    Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

So that was an ominous message! It’s the same one I got before, too, but last time when I tried to import the pool it didn’t work. This time, however, I did what it mentioned and invoked # zpool import -f antergos_kck6' and it actually worked – but I couldn’t really run any commands, regardless of exporting PATH of basic binary locations, etc. (I wasn’t inside a real shell).

When I tried invoking reboot it did nothing the first time, and the second, it gave me a kernel panic:
    0_1511651290721_zfs_root_issue_2_small.jpg

But, like I said, when I rebooted the computer it started working:

0_1511650714169_zpool_status_list.png

So that’s definitely cool. I think it might have to do with being created by the installer program – I might try and run the installer in a VM and see if I can prevent the issue from exporting the pool before rebooting out of the live installer image.

I’m kind of surprised I’m the only person this has happened to (?) I searched for other people experiencing the issue but haven’t seen any … huh

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Antergos x86_64 ZFS root w/Cinnamon est Nov 25, 2017 – because after a long week of struggling, I got tired of trying to put Arch on ZFS root…

• 0_1511810766370_solved.png

Solved ?

• @judd Well, sort of — it’s solved for me personally. But how many other people is this happening to?

Is there a way that this process could be automated through the installer? Like, possibly export the zpool for people who choose ZFS as their file system before reboot so it doesn’t throw people off who might be less technically inclined?

Thanks

• @AveryFreeman said in zpool wouldn't boot:

Is there a way that this process could be automated through the installer? Like, possibly export the zpool for people who choose ZFS as their file system before reboot

It is a topic alien to us, only the @developers
    can you decide on this …

• @judd Sounds good, thanks!

• @AveryFreeman said in zpool wouldn't boot:

Is there a way that this process could be automated through the installer? Like, possibly export the zpool for people who choose ZFS as their file system before reboot so it doesn’t throw people off who might be less technically inclined?

As @karasu say before, he was simple add the option to the installer to get ZFS installed if you want it, but it is not a full implementation to the Antergos-Ecosystem it is shipped as it is.

May some users will come together to sort out what is needed for better implementation of ZFS.

As antergos-developers have already much to solve on the regular stuff.

I can join in too and give some information on the installer or the ISO itself, as i earned some knowledge on providing the nvidia-ISO.

But to start working on this will be on the side of community members, using it, and are willing to maintain this part…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Yes, I understand @developers are probably very busy already. I am happy to help in any way I can.

ZFS on root was the entire reason I moved from Arch (and before that, Manjaro) to Antergos. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat? Is there a way to create a poll?

zpool1 wouldnt1 boot183 Posts 9Views 207