• When are the Arch developers going to upgrade the kernel to 4.14?

Does anyone have any clue?
    The linux 4.14 has been released for a while.

• Linux 4.14.2 is in [testing] repo since yesterday. Example.

• @s9209122222
    As soon as it is ready. :)
    Actually you should ask this question from the Arch developers.
    And, in fact, 4.14.2 includes a fix for a serious bug that could have corrupted your files in certain cases.

• @manuel said in When are the Arch developers going to upgrade the kernel to 4.14?:

Actually you should ask this question from the Arch developers.
    And, in fact, 4.14.2 includes a fix for a serious bug that could have corrupted your files in certain cases.

It makes me that this new kernel, will bring some gift and not exactly cute …:frowning:

• In Tumbleweed, which is slightyl ahead of Arch with upgrades, 4.14 has arrived a few days ago. 4.14 is neither good nor bad, I don’t notice any particularities with it, no problems so far. Seems to be a normal, regular kernel.

• @just Does it have 4.14.2 already?

• @manuel said in When are the Arch developers going to upgrade the kernel to 4.14?:

Does it have 4.14.2 already?

Not yet. It remains at vmlinuz-4.14.0-1-default for now.

• @judd
    I think in “normal” cases 4.14 is safe to use. The problem was like this:
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.14.2-Released

@judd
    I think in “normal” cases 4.14 is safe to use. The problem was like this:
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.14.2-Released

Yes, I see that it is a clean pass of previous nuclei too … interesting!

• The news

Among the innovations brought by Linux 4.14 LTS we can highlight:

• Compatibility with AMD Secure Memory Encription. It is an encryption of memory storage (DRAM) that includes some AMD processors and that protects its contents from attacks with physical access to the system.
    • Regarding the latter, mention that the Linux EFI code, now includes a technique to protect against cold boot attacks.
    • The memory limits of the x86-64 architecture are extended, when moving to a structure of the level 5 paging tables (previously it was level 4). This increases the previous limits of 256 TiB of virtual space addresses and 64 TiB of physical space, to 128 PiB and 4 PiB respectively.
    • The kernel debugging process win a new “unwinder” called ORC. This should provide more reliable tracking and benefits when performing live kernel patches. It would also overload the system less than the options used so far.
    • The Btrfs and Squafs file systems can now use a lossless compression algorithm called ZStandard. Said algorithm besides being very fast (doubles in speed to zlib and competes with LZ4) is also very flexible to allow different levels of compression.
    • The network subsystem gains a zero copy mode, which allows organizing the transfer of data through a network (TCP) without an intermediate buffer.
    • The Ext4 file system is also optimized, increasing its performance when generating new files (by assigning índos in established quotas). In systems with several CPU’s that capacity -of creating new files per sec- can increase up to 10 times.
    • The GCC compiler includes a plugin (Randstruct GCC plugin), which will help create random structures of the code, improving its security.
    • Heterogeneous memory management: complicated name for a mechanism that would allow graphics cards (GPU’s) to access the main memory of our computer.
    • Better management of clock frequencies now allows for more efficient energy management, making it easier for our laptops to wake up before sleep modes.
    • A new anti-trolls clause is introduced in the kernel license, to better defend copyright in Linux.

Source

• I want 4.14 so bad, because 4.13 sucks, the VSync-Jitter is so high when I am watching movie with mpv player, but it doesn’t happen to 4.9LTS

• I have already kernel 4.14.2-1 and have no problem at all. Maybe because I also use the testing repo.

• @s9209122222
    Have you tried linux-lts instead of linux? Sorry if this has been asked already…

• @s9209122222 my question is when is nvidia going to give the later \newer kernels some real worthing drivers

• @manuel nvidia drivers have no support for this kernel

• @lemler3 said in When are the Arch developers going to upgrade the kernel to 4.14?:

@manuel nvidia drivers have no support for this kernel

Can you prove that by an official Nvidia statement ?
    J.

• @lemler3 you was talking about this GPL / patch thing? rc2 is solving this…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @s9209122222

When are the Arch developers going to upgrade the kernel to 4.14?

Now! :)

• and the new ISO was updated to early some hours… it has still 4.13 on it :(

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Posts 35Views 1081