• \[solved\] Cinnamon/Gnome and suspend issues

Hi all,

I’m a new Antergos user. Today I installed it from the iso and I love it, but I’m experiencing some issues.

1. I enabled “bluetooth support” in the installer, but there is no applet in the tray. “hcitool scan” returns “Device is not available: No such device”. But the device is not blocked (checked with rfkill) and it worked fine with my previous Manjaro installation.

2. If I enable screen locking in Cinnamon (menu -> “screen locker” -> enable “lock the computer”) and put my laptop in sleep mode, when it resumes I see the background with the current time but no password dialog appears. The only way to leave this screen is to switch to another VT and reboot.

3. Sometimes (especially after resuming from sleep, but not always) the desktop stops working: every icon I click doesn’t seem to work, and if I try to start a program from bash it gives me a “no protocol specified” or “invalid mit-magic-cookie-1” error. To fix this I have to switch to another VT and execute “pkill cinnamon”. [Note: this is not related to the bug in libxcursor]

Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix or debug these issues?

• Hi all,

I’m a new Antergos user. Today I installed it from the iso and I love it, but I’m experiencing some issues.

1. I enabled “bluetooth support” in the installer, but there is no applet in the tray. “hcitool scan” returns “Device is not available: No such device”. But the device is not blocked (checked with rfkill) and it worked fine with my previous Manjaro installation.

2. If I enable screen locking in Cinnamon (menu -> “screen locker” -> enable “lock the computer”) and put my laptop in sleep mode, when it resumes I see the background with the current time but no password dialog appears. The only way to leave this screen is to switch to another VT and reboot.

3. Sometimes (especially after resuming from sleep, but not always) the desktop stops working: every icon I click doesn’t seem to work, and if I try to start a program from bash it gives me a “no protocol specified” or “invalid mit-magic-cookie-1” error. To fix this I have to switch to another VT and execute “pkill cinnamon”. [Note: this is not related to the bug in libxcursor]

Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix or debug these issues?

• I don’t know what to think about issue #1, but #2 and #3 seem related to this Cinnamon version. They seem to be triggered when the network connection is changed (either via automatic DHCP renewal when resuming from suspend, or editing it manually in “network connections”). I can’t find anything useful in dmesg and journald, but in the other ttys everything works so I think it’s the desktop environment.

However no one else seems to have reported similar issues… so I guess I’ll have to try another desktop environment, and eventually leave Arch and go back to Linux Mint

[Edit: just tested, same problems with Gnome Shell…]

• Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. Actually, the issues you are experiencing are known bugs with Cinnamon caused by library version mismatches. All Cinnamon users are affected (though some worse than others). A quick search on Mint’s github issues will provide more information.

As for GNOME Shell, there are also a few bugs directly related to your issues ( though not the same ones as cinnamon). Again, all the information you need is easy to find on the Arch forums and bug tracker. With a rolling release distribution small issues every now and again are to be expected. You can usually find workaround/fixes in the forums here or on Arch. Also following the Arch bug tracker is a good place to start.

Cheers!

• Thanks for your reply.
    I have just added Gnome Shell to the same Antergos installation, but I’m experiencing the same issues described before… I don’t know what’s happening if that’s only related to Cinnamon. Should just reinstall everything? (I’d like to avoid it)

• UPDATE: I have just formatted and installed a fresh copy of Antergos, but this time I avoided Cinnamon and installed Gnome 3.12 (clean installation, no customization done).

I suspended the system, and when it resumed I experienced the SAME ISSUE described earlier: the network manager applet shows activity (dhcp?), then icons stop working (can’t start any application), and trying to run gtk software from the terminal returns a “no display specified” error.

The same happens if, instead of suspending the system, I simply delete the current network connection and let it reconnect.

So it looks like it has nothing to do with Cinnamon or Gnome - it seems related to network management specifically.

• On Debian and Debian-based distros everything works fine, so it’s probably the new kernel & libs in Arch…

Arch is better designed, faster, clean, and Antergos if my favorite among the Arch-based distros. But if there’s no solution to the problems I reported, I’m afraid this is a goodbye.

• I’m happy to report I’ve found a solution [here[/url:23ct0su1] to issues 2 & 3.

Basically I edited /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and added these 2 lines:

hostname = my-hostname-here

Now it works

As for bluetooth, I had to place the following lines in a startup script. Still no bluetooth applet (cinnamon-bluetooth not working), but now hcitool works:

rfkill unblock 0  
    hciconfig hci0 up

: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/127773/no-programs-will-launch-after-disconnect-from-a-internet-network:23ct0su1

Posts 8Views 2203