• /boot

I followed the manual partition guide but it did not work. My situation is a bit different, I do not have windows installed. I have a 1tb drive that is split into two separate partitions, one has personal data on it and the other I wish to install Antergos on. The manual partition guide skips a step and tells me to use windows bootloader but I do not have this what do I use as /boot?
    Thanks
    Toxic

• @Toxicode
    Please be more specific.
    What manual partition guide? What didn’t work? How is your situation different (many of us have no Windows)? Which step does the guide skip? What Antergos guide tells you to use Windows bootloader?

How exactly is your disk partitioned? Do you have other disks on your system?

Is it a UEFI system? Is partition table Gpt or Dos?

• @manuel Uh okay how about I just ask a different question like how do I do a manual partition? I have 500gb of freespace that I would like to use for Antergos. I have other personal data on the drive that I do not want to loose. I used the dual boot method to try and partition my drive what do I do for /boot/efi partition?

• I think @Toxicode want to say that he was open the help from the installer “Dualboot with …”

If you have a EFI/UEFI BIOS :
    0_1511294533348_efi-antergos.png
    Create:

• fat32 partition with 210M > mountpoint /boot/efi
    • ext4 partition with 289M > mountpoint /boot
    • swap partition with 6GB (the same amount as your RAM)
    • ext4 partition with the rest > mountpoint / (root)

You can use also a partition for /home extra then use minimum 35GB for root ( mountpoint /) and the rest as home (/home with ext4)

Your DATA partition with you personal data leave as it is or create a mountpoint only but do NOT format and do not change format ("use as"leave this as it is!!!)
    0_1511295259653_datapartition.png
    You can also leavy it untouched and bind it later or mount only if you need from the filemanager…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• In your case you don’t need the dual boot installation, because the disk is already partitioned in two separate partitions and no other OS on it. Just install it with the automatic install and Antergos will ask which partition you want to install the system. I assume your data partition is in FAT format, so Antergos won’t touch that. When Antergos is installed you can mount the data partition to access it.

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Bryanpwo i do not think so … you need to do manual partition or take the whole disk, choosing automatic partition for a partition is not possible!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad This is exactly what I was looking for thank you all so much …

• @joekamprad Would it be any different if I have legacy bios with secure boot off? I got it working but it does not boot on its own I have to press f12 and select it manually…

• My apologies, I thought it was the same situation as mine, but I forgot for a second that I have two disks in my laptop. Again sorry for the mix up.

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Bryanpwo No worries not your fault I am the newb lol. It has been a while since I have used Linux but I just cant stand windows anymore.

• @Toxicode on legacy BIOS you do noz need a efi fat23 partition (if you take grub2)

• ext4 partition with 289M > mountpoint /boot
    • swap partition with 6GB (the same amount as your RAM)
    • ext4 partition with the rest > mountpoint / (root)

Is enough then, but partition setup will show also what you need see: mount checklist there are buttons with the needed partitions and they are signed with a green hook if you created them:
    0_1511347766753_efi-antergos-checklist.png

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @Toxicode I’m right there with you on not being able to stand Windows anymore. And I’m even a Windows Server Systems Engineer at work. No Windows computers at home, though. XD

boot183 Posts 12Views 216