• compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability

Hello,

My motherboard is Asus H97 plus and I have graphics card (AMD RX580) in one pciex16 slot.
    I would like to have about 10+ SATA ports in my system,
    (manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H97-PLUS/E8977_H97-PLUS.pdf )

On that MB there are two pciex16 (one for GPU).
    And, I have two Pciex1 slot.

I also have slot pciex16_2 and here I see my problem.

I have configured graphic as shared GPU for windows VM based on qemu/kvm. So I don’t use GPU very frequently.

Is that makes sense buying server grade RAID controller for 16+ disks (want miniSAS cables too ;) which will runs at pciex8? This is info from specifications.

Im affraid that graphic card puts all pciex16 features for own works.

So I would like to ask you for help with choosing best RAID/SATA (Im also thinking on building md/software RAID on ‘normal’/non-SATA card) which would be most compatible with Antergos and latest kernels. I would like to find something working stable and will have good community support.

I am building this PC for education purposes - I am planning to have 32 GB RAM, there is i5-4690 CPU, m.2 SSD disk (that is the main reason why I am not using native fakeRAID on MB) and here I am planning virtualization, everdyay usage, gaming on Win ;).

For the beggining I have choosen:

DEll h200 as RAID controller (Dell P/N: 47mcv) (chipset LSI SAS 2008),

And due to I am not sure if that would be possible to make RAID and set few other hdds to use as ordinary, single hdd I also thought buying this for nonRAID configurations.

SI-PEX40062
    http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=157

• @0ax said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

47mcv

It would be helpful to have some more information on what you are needing the finished system to do. I haven’t tried Antergos with a PERC card, so I am not sure of the support there. Maybe someone else knows? I do know that the PERC cards are great (I’ve only seen one fail in the 20 years I have been in IT). However, I have only ever run them with Windows Server and ESXI. I will do some research as time permits. Antergos is going to be running on bare metal or will it be a VM run from within Windows? Dual-boot? Etc.

• @Palanthis said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

@0ax said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

47mcv

It would be helpful to have some more information on what you are needing the finished system to do. I haven’t tried Antergos with a PERC card, so I am not sure of the support there. Maybe someone else knows? I do know that the PERC cards are great (I’ve only seen one fail in the 20 years I have been in IT). However, I have only ever run them with Windows Server and ESXI. I will do some research as time permits. Antergos is going to be running on bare metal or will it be a VM run from within Windows? Dual-boot? Etc.

Thank you for your reply

I would like to have some ports dedicated for R1/0 and maybe 5.
    I also think about putting zfs on some disks for edu purposes. But in that case the disks should be ‘clear’- without RAID configured at the controller - that is my question - if that is possible?

Some ports I would like to use only for ordinary port multipling. I am not sure if that would be possible. I would like to have possibility to connect any faulty (bad sectors) harddrive and try to secure it via dd, maybe photorex/testdisk. So I would need naive disk access. I am not sure if I am correct when trying to get this on dedicated RAID controller.
    Should I run JBOD in that case?

Antergos will be my native host OS, I am planning to have VM with Win for gaming.
    And lot of VMs with other distros, for specific roles. I am trying lot of community projects on linux.

regards

stability4 pciex1 compatible3 raidsata1 Posts 3Views 126