• compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability

Hello,

My motherboard is Asus H97 plus and I have graphics card (AMD RX580) in one pciex16 slot.
    I would like to have about 10+ SATA ports in my system,
    (manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H97-PLUS/E8977_H97-PLUS.pdf )

On that MB there are two pciex16 (one for GPU).
    And, I have two Pciex1 slot.

I also have slot pciex16_2 and here I see my problem.

I have configured graphic as shared GPU for windows VM based on qemu/kvm. So I don’t use GPU very frequently.

Is that makes sense buying server grade RAID controller for 16+ disks (want miniSAS cables too 😉 which will runs at pciex8? This is info from specifications.

Im affraid that graphic card puts all pciex16 features for own works.

So I would like to ask you for help with choosing best RAID/SATA (Im also thinking on building md/software RAID on ‘normal’/non-SATA card) which would be most compatible with Antergos and latest kernels. I would like to find something working stable and will have good community support.

I am building this PC for education purposes - I am planning to have 32 GB RAM, there is i5-4690 CPU, m.2 SSD disk (that is the main reason why I am not using native fakeRAID on MB) and here I am planning virtualization, everdyay usage, gaming on Win ;).

For the beggining I have choosen:

DEll h200 as RAID controller (Dell P/N: 47mcv) (chipset LSI SAS 2008),

And due to I am not sure if that would be possible to make RAID and set few other hdds to use as ordinary, single hdd I also thought buying this for nonRAID configurations.

SI-PEX40062
    http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=157

• @0ax said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

47mcv

It would be helpful to have some more information on what you are needing the finished system to do. I haven’t tried Antergos with a PERC card, so I am not sure of the support there. Maybe someone else knows? I do know that the PERC cards are great (I’ve only seen one fail in the 20 years I have been in IT). However, I have only ever run them with Windows Server and ESXI. I will do some research as time permits. Antergos is going to be running on bare metal or will it be a VM run from within Windows? Dual-boot? Etc.

• @Palanthis said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

@0ax said in compatible RAID/SATA pciex card for best stability:

47mcv

It would be helpful to have some more information on what you are needing the finished system to do. I haven’t tried Antergos with a PERC card, so I am not sure of the support there. Maybe someone else knows? I do know that the PERC cards are great (I’ve only seen one fail in the 20 years I have been in IT). However, I have only ever run them with Windows Server and ESXI. I will do some research as time permits. Antergos is going to be running on bare metal or will it be a VM run from within Windows? Dual-boot? Etc.

Thank you for your reply

I would like to have some ports dedicated for R1/0 and maybe 5.
    I also think about putting zfs on some disks for edu purposes. But in that case the disks should be ‘clear’- without RAID configured at the controller - that is my question - if that is possible?

Some ports I would like to use only for ordinary port multipling. I am not sure if that would be possible. I would like to have possibility to connect any faulty (bad sectors) harddrive and try to secure it via dd, maybe photorex/testdisk. So I would need naive disk access. I am not sure if I am correct when trying to get this on dedicated RAID controller.
    Should I run JBOD in that case?

Antergos will be my native host OS, I am planning to have VM with Win for gaming.
    And lot of VMs with other distros, for specific roles. I am trying lot of community projects on linux.

regards

stability5 compatible3 raidsata1 pciex1 Posts 3Views 227
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.