• \[SOLVED\] various installation issues

Hello everybody,

I faced a few issues during the installation. I have worked around them, but I am reporting them here because they may be bugs with the installer. Also, the wiki needs to have the installation guide at the very least so that new users will know what to expect.

• The boot process hangs just before the desktop comes up. I needed to add the nomodeswitch boot option as suggested in this forum. (My laptop has “Intel integrated graphics” and no external video card.)
    • The graphical installer doesn’t show any progress at all. I cancelled the installation after 30 minutes and used the CLI installer instead.
    • There was no warning that it will download over 500 MB of packages. This took over 3 hours on my slow and and download-capped mobile internet. I understand that Arch linux is designed like this, but Archbang on the other hand, installs within minutes and leaves the updating to the user.
    • I could not connect (using my Mobile Broadband modem) because ModemManager did not start. I still need to do this every time I log in to the desktop.
    • Grub fails to install because the installer looks in /target/usr/sbin instead of /target/usr/bin. So we have to chroot and run grub-install manually.
    • Cnchi hangs upon startup and needed to be killed and restarted several times. But no issues once the installation is started.
  • Hello everybody,

I faced a few issues during the installation. I have worked around them, but I am reporting them here because they may be bugs with the installer. Also, the wiki needs to have the installation guide at the very least so that new users will know what to expect.

• The boot process hangs just before the desktop comes up. I needed to add the nomodeswitch boot option as suggested in this forum. (My laptop has “Intel integrated graphics” and no external video card.)
    • The graphical installer doesn’t show any progress at all. I cancelled the installation after 30 minutes and used the CLI installer instead.
    • There was no warning that it will download over 500 MB of packages. This took over 3 hours on my slow and and download-capped mobile internet. I understand that Arch linux is designed like this, but Archbang on the other hand, installs within minutes and leaves the updating to the user.
    • I could not connect (using my Mobile Broadband modem) because ModemManager did not start. I still need to do this every time I log in to the desktop.
    • Grub fails to install because the installer looks in /target/usr/sbin instead of /target/usr/bin. So we have to chroot and run grub-install manually.
    • Cnchi hangs upon startup and needed to be killed and restarted several times. But no issues once the installation is started.
  • Hi there

Also, the wiki needs to have the installation guide at the very least so that new users will know what to expect.

This is being done by one of our users and recently wiki administrator

This is because the ISO you downloaded, the one that it was oficially on the download section in our website used to have UXA acceleration method with Intel cards (because it is yet the driver’s default method). Gdm and UXA had a bug freezing the boot process.
    There was in this forums some testing isos that were setting SNA as acceleration method to solve the bug, but just today I’ve uploaded new isos officialy (without announcement) fixing this bug and also the GRUB situation.

This three issues though were never reported, it is kind of weird,

Indeed we were using full paths to call grub-mkconfig, and with the currently ongoing migration to /usr in Arch broke both installers.
    The CLI Installer could be fixed online, so when you run it, it found the update and fix it, but Cnchi doesn’t have that ability already. We have it implemented in our github, but some testing is required before releasing with some new features. That was the reason why I had to upload today new isos with Cnchi fixed

Could you test this last iso (2013.05.30) and tell me if you get to boot without problem? (boot, cnchi, network manager etc)

Thanks for the feedback

• With me after the cli installer gets an update before installing the installer stalls on installing grub, it keeps telling me that it is looking for luks encrypted devices while the screens flashes at a very fast rate.
    ISO 30/05

The previous install did not have this problem. That was also the 30/05 iso…strange

Antergos: funny name, serious distro

• The CLI Installer downloads updates automatically when it is launched. So really would not matter if you used current ISO or an old one. Might want to post a bug report in this because it sounds like an update may have broken something. Bug Reports----> [url:3scygd95]http://bugs.antergos.com/[/url:3scygd95]

• @“bootz”:3jnk63ve said:

With me after the cli installer gets an update before installing the installer stalls on installing grub, it keeps telling me that it is looking for luks encrypted devices while the screens flashes at a very fast rate.
    ISO 30/05

The previous install did not have this problem. That was also the 30/05 iso…strange[/quote:3jnk63ve]

Happens here also. Installation impossible with 30.05 ISO. Never happened before. Installer updated to version 1.1.1.

• Fixed. Some other paths where linked outside /usr/bin

Cli installer should update itself to 1.1.2 now

• @“faidoc”:2w9zndvk said:

Fixed. Some other paths where linked outside /usr/bin

Cli installer should update itself to 1.1.2 now[/quote:2w9zndvk]

Unfortunately problem still not fixed. Infinite loop at “Activating RAID arrays” during RAID setup or Setting mountpoints (but no flashes this time). Install still impossible.

• Ok, “NOW” it should be fixed with 1.1.3 (I did some tests and installs ok in VM)

• @“faidoc”:19ryjd3d said:

Ok, “NOW” it should be fixed with 1.1.3 (I did some tests and installs ok in VM)[/quote:19ryjd3d]

Sorry for late answer. Solved indeed. THANK YOU!

Posts 10Views 2839