I faced a few issues during the installation. I have worked around them, but I am reporting them here because they may be bugs with the installer. Also, the wiki needs to have the installation guide at the very least so that new users will know what to expect.
- The boot process hangs just before the desktop comes up. I needed to add the nomodeswitch boot option as suggested in this forum. (My laptop has “Intel integrated graphics” and no external video card.)
- The graphical installer doesn’t show any progress at all. I cancelled the installation after 30 minutes and used the CLI installer instead.
- There was no warning that it will download over 500 MB of packages. This took over 3 hours on my slow and and download-capped mobile internet. I understand that Arch linux is designed like this, but Archbang on the other hand, installs within minutes and leaves the updating to the user.
- I could not connect (using my Mobile Broadband modem) because ModemManager did not start. I still need to do this every time I log in to the desktop.
- Grub fails to install because the installer looks in /target/usr/sbin instead of /target/usr/bin. So we have to chroot and run grub-install manually.
- Cnchi hangs upon startup and needed to be killed and restarted several times. But no issues once the installation is started.