• Linux starts using too much memory and then everything freezes

I’m on kernel 4.13.12, using Cinnamon 3.6.2.

I’m having a memory problem with Antergos: I have 8 GBs of memory, but with only a few hours of use my memory becomes full and the system has to use swap and everything gets real freaking slow, to the point where I can only use the mouse and my applications won’t respond to my interactions. Even logging to a TTYL takes a bit of time.

Today I realised that by playing Tibia (it’s an old MMO), the process starts with little memory, then it keeps asking the system for more, a few minutes in I was using 7 goddamn gigabytes of memory and of course, everything froze. I didn’t have this problem when I played it before formatting my PC though.

I think it’s important to say that I’ve got swappiness set to 10, since I don’t want my system to rely on swap memory any more than needed.

Does anyone have any suggestion on things I could try or maybe ways to diagnose the issue more accurately?

• @telmo.trooper

Hi!
    I’m no expert on hardware problems, but can you test if your RAM memory is released using the command bellow?

sudo sh -c 'echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'

If yes, is possible to make a workaround while you wait for someone else to help you to find the cause/solution for the problem.

more info here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87908/how-do-you-empty-the-buffers-and-cache-on-a-linux-system

• @fernandomaroto said in Linux starts using too much memory and then everything freezes:

sudo sh -c ‘echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches’

It seems the command does work:

[[email protected] ~]$ free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:        8138352     4231612     1248804      113768     2657936     4238200
    Swap:       8139776       50764     8089012
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo sh -c 'echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'
    [sudo] password for telmo: 
    [[email protected] ~]$ free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:        8138352     4260320     3325916      113768      552116     4213476
    Swap:       8139776       50764     8089012

Though I can still see the process increasing its RAM usage as long as I keep the game open. It’s important to say I get freezes with other programs as well.

I’m gonna test it out when I noticed the memory is about to get full.

freezes24 memory11 starts5 Posts 3Views 657
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.