• AMD Graphics Card Problems

Hi there

I’m running Antergos on a Lenovo Legion with an AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB. I have tried going to the Arch wiki and browsed these forums trying to find out how to get the GPU working but have not had any luck so far.

I have Mesa and have tried to download the proprietary and open source drivers but my system cannot find my AMD GPU and only finds the intel integrated graphics card. I am dual booting and have no problem with the card in windows, just Antergos.

lspci | grep -i --color 'vga\|3d\|2d'

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• @mattrbrousseau !

I could give more information about it

sudo pacman -S inxi

inxi -Fxxc0

and give the output here ???

• @judd Thank you so much.

inxi -Fxxc0
    Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
    System:    Host: Antergos Kernel: 4.13.12-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
               Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2 (Gtk 3.22.26) dm: gdm Distro: Antergos Linux
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 80WY v: Lenovo Y520-15IKBA serial: N/A
               Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: N/A
               UEFI: LENOVO v: 5JCN15WW date: 09/01/2017
               Chassis: type: 10 v: Lenovo Y520-15IKBA serial: N/A
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 28.1 Wh 65.1% condition: 43.2/45.0 Wh (96%) volts: 12.2/11.5
               model: SMP L16M3P24 serial: 350 status: Charging
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-HT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.9 cache: 6144 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22472
               clock speeds: min/max: 800/3800 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 2993 MHz 3: 1271 MHz 4: 800 MHz 5: 799 MHz
               6: 800 MHz 7: 800 MHz 8: 800 MHz
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 591b bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:591b
               Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 460/560D / Pro 450/455/460/560]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67ef
               Display Server: N/A drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 211x27
    Audio:     Card Intel CM238 HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a171
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.12-1-ARCH
    Network:   Card-1: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth
               driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:3166
               IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 44:03:2c:a4:85:67
               Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
               driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
               IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 54:e1:ad:8e:5c:8a
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1145.1GB (1.3% used)
               ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: SAMSUNG_MZVLW128HEGR size: 128.0GB
               serial: S35FNA0J984670 firmware: 4L1QCXB7
               ID-2: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB serial: WDEN89D3
               ID-3: USB /dev/sdb model: Flash_Disk size: 16.9GB serial: DF55E10B-0:0
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 21G used: 8.2G (40%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8
               ID-2: /home size: 42G used: 406M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
               ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 44.0
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 252 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 993.7/7861.9MB Init: systemd v: 235 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in python2) inxi: 2.3.43

• @mattrbrousseau

$ systemctl --state=active | grep radeon

?

• @judd It doesn’t return anything.

I’ve also tried:

glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2)```
  • Yes, AMD is not active at all, however; what is the operating reason of the AMD card?

My Ultrabox Dell has the hybrid intel / AMDradeon and works impeccably with intel only …

(I’m sure I missed something, I do not understand or I do not realize … I do not know) ===> @Community-Moderators help

• @judd said in AMD Graphics Card Problems:

Yes, AMD is not active at all, however; what is the operating reason of the AMD card?
    My Ultrabox Dell has the hybrid intel / AMDradeon and works impeccably with intel only …
    (I’m sure I missed something, I do not understand or I do not realize … I do not know) ===> @Community-Moderators help

It does work well with just the intel, but it would be nice to still find out why the AMD card isn’t showing up though.

Thanks for your help

• @mattrbrousseau said in AMD Graphics Card Problems:

It does work well with just the intel, but it would be nice to still find out why the AMD card isn’t showing up though.

Users of Antergos, please, could you help us. (It’s already been more than 6 hours that I’m reading to answer problems and I do not give more:pensive: )
    @Community-Moderators

• I do not know till now that and-intel hybrid exists… I will do some research🌐

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad that’s wonderful, thank you.

• One of my computers has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 video card. The laptop is a bit old. It has two GPUs - Intel and ATI. I don’t know, whether or not this card may be called “hybrid”, like true hybrid nVidia cards.

I don’t use the laptop for several years. At that time I didn’t find a way to switch between two GPUs via software in the same X session - like it is possible with hybrid nVidia.

It is possible to switch between GPUs thru BIOS though. The selected GPU works for all next boot ups.

So I’ve simply installed two video drivers in Arch, one for Intel and another for ATI:

• xf86-video-intel
    • xf86-video-ati

When I set Intel in BIOS, the system was using xf86-video-intel. If I set ATI, the system was using xf86-video-ati. It was that simple.

• This post is deleted!
  • @just

I’m trying to upload pictures that I’ve taken of my bios but it keeps giving me an error whenever I do.

I’m looking at it but don’t really see anything that would be what you described. There is a section that is called “Graphic Device” with the options UMA Only and Discrete but that doesn’t really seem like what I’m looking for.

Is there anything that I might be missing? Or something I should look for?

Lenovo Y520-15IKBA

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/PD105080

shows nvidia card…

Si first thinking is that you wound be able t5o switch between the graphiccards, as there is no implementation for this under Linux, but you can firstvtake a look into EFI/BIOS to see if there is a switch for what grahics will be used…

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/legion_y520-15ikba_ug_de_201706.pdf
    https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/legion_y720-15ikb_hmm_201703.pdf

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

I am dual booting and have no problem with the card in windows

what is the behavior under windows? it boots up onto intel and you can switch to amd graphics with a tool?

Should work with PRIME:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

UMA Only and Discrete = switchable

https://support.lenovo.com/us/de/solutions/ht076090

looks like two options:

• intel (discrete - integrated) only = UMA only
    • Switchable = both cards are enabled and switchable

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

I’m looking at it but don’t really see anything that would be what you described. There is a section that is called “Graphic Device” with the options UMA Only and Discrete but that doesn’t really seem like what I’m looking for.

On the contrary, it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

I don’t remember, how Intel GPU is called in my BIOS, but ATI gpu is called Discrete card for sure. I remeber it very well. It were my first approaches to hybrids, at that time, and it took a bit of time for me to understood that Discrete means ATI.

In your case, UMA Only most probably means Intel, Discrete means ATI.

• UMA stands for unified memory architecture;
    It indirectly refers to the fact that integrated graphics card uses the system RAM because it does not have any of its own integrated RAM.

so UMA-ONLY means intergrated intel only (also what beforehand posts suggests, as user only get intel card aviable and settings was UMA-ONLY)

“discret” say then maybe in meaning of discrete use of system RAM?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Under Windows I can go into the task manager and see the performance there. When I run anything slightly intense the AMD GPU kicks in.

I have a feeling that it may be working, I just can’t prove it. I’m doing benchmarking and getting similar results on Antergos that I am on Windows but I still don’t know for sure.

As for the BIOS, it is already set to Discrete.

• What would is to get boot-journal from set bios to discrete.

journalctl -b -0 | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

amd24 graphics16 Posts 92Views 979