• Grub problem installing Antergos in a multiboot system

Hi All,
    I installed Antergos-cinnamon on a multiboot system (Linux Mint 18.1 as main distribution) with no-bootloader option during installation.
    Unlike installing other distributions (Arch-based too) in the same multiboot system I do not have any /boot/grub directory or even the /etc/default/grub files now. I can correctly run Antergos from Linux Mint 18 but I can not change the boot parameters in /etc /default/ grub or update grub.
    Could it be a solution to install grub through pamac?
    Thank in advance for Your help

• @sardus-X said in Grub problem installing Antergos in a multiboot system:

I can not change the boot parameters in /etc /default/ grub

Hi friend!
    If i understand correctly you didn’t install grub while running cnchi, and then you should boot linux Mint and update grub there (and all the grub configs must be dealed under Mint).
    It’s not clear if you’re trying to change it under antergos or Mint (must be Mint)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @sardus-X
    Yes, you could install grub and (optionally) os-prober in Antergos.
    What parameters you’d like to change?
    Or do you have trouble booting Antergos from Mint’s grub?

• For more clarity.

Do you want to install grub in Antergos with Pamac to have the grub of antergos and from there start Mint? that is, Mint inside the Antergos grub … is that so?

(or did I understand wrong …)

• @sardus-X
    I have some problems understanding what you are trying to do.

If you want to change boot parameters for Antergos in Mint’s grub, you could do it by writing a file /boot/grub/custom.cfg inside Mint and put there a menuentry for Antergos.

• @manuel said in Grub problem installing Antergos in a multiboot system:

If you want to change boot parameters for Antergos in Mint’s grub, you could do it by writing a file /boot/grub/custom.cfg inside Mint and put there a menuentry for Antergos.

This is one of the possibilities I had thought to solve, for example, the problem of hibernation error at boot, creating a menuentry editing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in /etc/default/grub and updating grub in Antergos, finally inserting the menuentry created as a custom entry inside Mint’s grub: is it a wrong way?

• @sardus-X
    No, if I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve.

So, if you write a new file /boot/grub/custom.cfg inside Mint, it could include the following menuentry for Antergos:

menuentry "Antergos" {
      set uuid="put-your-Antergos-uuid-here"
      set params="kernel parameters here"
      savedefault
      search --set --no-floppy --fs-uuid $uuid
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=$uuid rw quiet $params
      initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    }

Here you can put any kernel parameters to Antergos (on the line starting with ‘linux’, after the word ‘quiet’).
    You don’t need to run grub-mkconfig with this, just reboot and you’ll see a new boot entry named “Antergos”.

You’ll find the Antergos UUID e.g. with command

sudo blkid

EDIT: modified the menuentry, now it has params variable, put your kernel parameters there!

• so if I want to fix the hibernation error at boot, it would become:

menuentry "Antergos" {
      set uuid="put-your-Antergos-uuid-here"
      set params="resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/swap-partition-uuid-here"
      savedefault
      search --set --no-floppy --fs-uuid $uuid
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=$uuid rw quiet $params
      initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    }

??

• @sardus-X That is the idea, yes.

system73 multiboot1 installing66 grub79 Posts 9Views 120