• Vintage apps in full screen renders the Deepin desktop unusable

HOW TO REPRODUCE:
    Execute a low res vintage application in full resolution, for example dosbox or uqm.

RESULT:
    The desktop is shown blank, or glitchy. At that point the only way to recover is to reboot.

RELEVANT DETAILS:
    Not reproducible on Deepin OS or Manjaro Deepin.
    Compared with Manjaro Deepin, the Deepin File Manager cannot be stacked to a half of screen. Also exhibits minor glitches.

SYSTEM DETAILS:
    Graphic card: Radeon HD 5870
    Graphic driver: Mesa 17.2.4

• the journal is your friend:

checking while running:

journalctl -f

And if something is freezing your desk rememeber the time and get the journal after reboot:

journalctl --since "10 minutes ago"
    journalctl --since "2017-11-13 12:00:00" --until "2017-11-13 12:05:00" 

or use the running executable (aka /usr/bin/dosbox)

journalctl -f /usr/bin/"Executable"

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• [nov 13 21:04:41.221353] Windmill kernel: [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
    [nov 13 21:04:41.221447] Windmill kernel: [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing CD9A (len 62, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xCDB6
    [nov 13 21:04:46.224686] Windmill kernel: [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
    [nov 13 21:04:46.224761] Windmill kernel: [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing CD9A (len 62, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xCDB6
    [nov 13 21:04:46.224797] Windmill kernel: [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C3A8 (len 817, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC405
    [nov 13 21:04:46.791367] Windmill kernel: systemd-shutdow: 36 output lines suppressed due to ratelimiting

• Reading this report at the kernel bugzilla. This likely means that some functions of the GPU are powered down during the resolution change, and couldn’t be powered on again afterwards.

• @es20490446e said in Vintage apps in full screen renders the Deepin desktop unusable:

This likely means that some functions of the GPU are powered down during the resolution change, and couldn’t be powered on again afterwards.

Oh yes it seems that this is an issue onto all high-power-graphiccards at the moment…
    I have such problems only with this graphics, other machines with office-graphics are running fine without this issue…

I get this independend from the DE on different programms, sop i do not think it is related to a programm, and more something related to rendering itself…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

renders1 vintage1 full8 apps10 Posts 5Views 84