• ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11

Notable Changes: Packages updated for the live and minimal install environments.

Click here to see the full blog post

• The testing just started :video_game: Thanks Mr. !!!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @lots.0.logs
    Yup, downloading as we speek… :)

• @lots-0-logs
    Using VirtualBox install only (no UEFI).

Minimal ISO: installed KDE with GPT partition table, and working without problems. :)

The “bigger” ISO: installed Xfce with MBR, and working without problems. :)

• tiny typo in popup right after updating cnchi: sucessful => successful
  • now we can choose vivaldi browser as an option!
    The mirror chooser is optimized too!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Fonts in 17.11 live session became very small. Harder to read than in 17.10 and lower versions, at the same 1920x1080 resolution. Looking glasses with magnifyer glass allow to read on-screen text.

• A freshly installed Antergos 17.11 Gnome3rd has ~/.config crowded with:

• i3
    • i3status
    • ibus
    • lxterminal
    • openbox
    • plank
    • qt5ct
    • qtcurve
    • terminology
    • tint2

and other Arch-unrelated personal stuff

What a pity. Antergos 27.22 looses.

With respect

• @just said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

27.22 looses

Back to the future🔙🔙
    In 2027 we will have 22 month then 🌐

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• The plan to get all the Desktops installable also after main install, seems to be a hard task.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• This post is deleted!

What? Can you elaborate this? If there’s something wrong I’d like to know to remove it (could be that I left something there that shouldn’t be there by mistake).

The plan to get all the Desktops installable also after main install, seems to be a hard task.

Yep, that’s the point. The final intention is to be able to install a new DE and be able to use it with the Antergos setup (and not vanilla one).

Also all files are copied into /etc/skel, so new users will also have the Antergos setup.

Yes, it’s right that you’ll end with some config files that are never used in .config (until you install the app that goes with that setup, if ever), but I think it’s a very low price to pay.

As an example, as it is now, just a pacman -S antergos-cinnamon-meta will add the Cinnamon DE to an already installed system, and with all antergos setup.

Fyi, all antergos setup is stored in antergos-desktop-settings.

I’m open to suggestions or other ways to do it…

Thanks!

• @karasu as it is so that this “skel” settings will not be aviable for already existing user, we need to do it this way, or I am wrong? And the settings will not disturb other DE.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

this “skel” settings will not be aviable for already existing user

Nope. Cnchi first installs all packages (so settings comming from antergos-desktop-settings are installed in /etc/skel) and then it creates the user (so the user will have all the settings copied from /etc/skel).

And the settings will not disturb other DE.

My objective (I haven’t discussed this with other @developers) is to be able to have common settings that can be used by the same user while using several DEs if so desired.

• @karasu i understand it right but discibing it not very clear ;)

what i want to say was: if we do NOT put all settings before creating the main-user, they would not be aviable if you install another DE after main installation, for this main-user :man_cartwheeling_tone2:

Is it completely done so that we can test it?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @karasu said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

My objective (I haven’t discussed this with other @developers) is to be able to have common settings that can be used by the same user while using several DEs if so desired.

That’s interesting!
    gtk3 and gtk2 themes and icons configs are easy to config.

The problems start to rise when you have different ways to implement stuff for each DE, like background for i3, openbox, gnome etc etc. Also if you plan to have different packages for each DE you may need different configs…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @joekamprad said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

if we do NOT put all settings before creating the main-user, they would not be aviable if you install another DE after main installation, for this main-user

As I said, first, packages are installed (and antergos-desktop-settings package has all desktop settings, that are all installed into /etc/skel) and then the “main” user is created (so all settings are automagically copied from /etc/skel to /home/mainuser by the useradd command). This way new users in the system will also get our setup.

Is it completely done so that we can test it?

Yes. Latest packaged cnchi already does this. You can test it in a VM.

I haven’t tested any of this in an old installation (my main system is all messed up with all sort of packages, so it’s not a nice test ground) but just install antergos-desktop-settings if it is not yet installed and then create a new user. It should have all antergos settings by default.

@fernandomaroto said:

The problems start to rise when you have different ways to implement stuff for each DE, like background for i3, openbox, gnome etc etc. Also if you plan to have different packages for each DE you may need different configs…

That was my first intention, having one package for each DE (check antergos-gnome-setup, antergos-cinnamon-setup, … etc). But it can’t work because you have the same files repeated in those packages, so you can’t have them installed at the same time. The solution we adopted (before unifying everything in one package) was to store those files in /usr/share/antergos and then create a script that copied that files. But this only worked for already existing users (and it worked overwriting already created setups, which was a no no with already functioning installations). Also, new users got the vanilla setup because /etc/skel was almost vanilla, too.

I haven’t found a perfect solution. I’m afraid I won’t be able to setup a “ONE AND ONLY” setup for all DEs in antergos-desktop-settings. Will see.

Please, ask as many questions as you have, this kind of debates can shed light to the problem and maybe change direction.

Cheers!

• @karasu said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

@just said in ISO Refresh: antergos 17.11:

What? Can you elaborate this?..

I’m sorry for the late reply. Stock exchanges, investments, brokerage reports, documentation take away a lot of time.

Customization is only a question of personal tastes.

There are two user groups.

Users of the first - smaller - group are capable to conciously take software and configuration decisions on their own. They do not like when others decide something for them.

Users of the second - wider - group don’t want to bother about packages, installations, configurations. They only want to have something that works OOTB.

I make part of the first group. That is why I choosen Arch many years ago, with its old, original installation way - package by package, one by one, only those that I need, without pacstraps.

I do realize that it is very difficult - if ever possible - to find an equlibrium between two users groups. To create a distro which will satisfy both groups.

It was taken about an hour for me to remove all unwanted Antergos customizations from 17.10 and earlier releases - Numix theming, DConf database customiztions, display managers, others. It will probably take two hours now, to remove unwanted settings from Antergos 17.11+.

I’d prefer Antergos to be closer to Arch than to WindOS or Ubuntu. It’s only a very personal point of view. Most users will disagree with it.

More customiztion - less appreciation.

Respectfully yours

• @just
    Interesting points.

Currently, when one installs Antergos, one can choose between many DEs, and later can add more of them in your system.
    Or one can install just the Base, without any DE, and pick packages one by one.
    So, to my understanding, both of the groups @just mentioned are already covered by Antergos.

What @karasu is doing seems to be quite sensible, since it would make installing any (or many) DEs easy and have consistent (initial)
    behaviour.
    If I understand correctly, he creates one configuration package for all DEs. And that package is not installed by default when selecting the Base desktop option in cnchi, right?

• @manuel You’re clearly making part of the first group. Capable of taking (Linux) decisions. It’s a pleasure to read the posts from you.

What if we try to look at Antergos from a common user’s point of view? He doesn’t know much about Antergos-Base, other DEs, Linux. He comes from WindOS or *buntu clones.

He probably starts Cnchi, accepts default settings, and gets Antergos-Gnome installed.

Antergos-Gnome works well, and satisfies almost all average user’s needs.

But yes, you’re right. Antergos-Base allows to install and configure the distro at will.

With respect

I’d prefer Antergos to be closer to Arch than to WindOS or Ubuntu. It’s only a very personal point of view. Most users will disagree with it.

I was thinking this is one of the main reason to choose Antergos over other derivates from Arch! :)
    It is kinda USP! (Unique Selling Proposition)

So i agree :100: % with @just @manuel that we should keep the base install without this DE preconfigurations installed!

On the other hand, with the casual user in mind, there are more uncleaned stuff on Linux-Desktop in general with the need for a solution:

• Powersettings > suspending > hybernation > lid-close-actions > cpu-frequency-scaling.
    • Graphical-tool to get systemd and hardware configured and monitored.

And it is not about copy what windows have and try to clone this into linux… It is in general that the desktop itself is not important anymore!
    For new generations grown up with tablets smartphones and everything everywhere…

With all that knowledge we have today, a system setup should cover a fully working system by default,
    so in my point of view, it should be on focus to get hardware working!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

17.112 refresh22 iso49 Posts 28Views 689