• Is it safe to remove Pamac?

Hey everyone

I just recently migrated to Antergos from Manjaro and all is good so far :)

I’m using the KDE version of Antergos and I’ve installed Octopi. I would like to know if I can safely get rid of Pamac? (I’d like to use Octopi instead of Pamac because it’s qt-based and it looks better on my KDE system than Pamac, which looks out of place).

I’ve taken a screenshot of what needs to be uninstalled along with Pamac and I’m a bit hesitant to do it.
    Do you think that this is safe to do?

0_1509939525432_Screenshot_20171105_193236.png

I suppose I can just leave Pamac installed in the system, but if I do that, how can I turn off the Pamac “update notifier”, and use the Octopi notifier instead? Right now whenever there is an update, the Pamac update notifier is the one that lets me know, and when I click on it, Pamac opens up instead of Octopi.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

• it is save to uninstall all this stuff… octopi should notify you also automaticly by default:

/etc/xdg/autostart/octopi-notifier.desktop

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @mattb66 The simple answer is yes, it is safe to remove pamac. I did it two or three yaers ago, and have no problem to run Antergos without pamac.

In the past, I’ve also did another test. I’ve removed pamac from Antergos-Kde, Mate, Cinnamon, Gnome3, and replaced it by octopi. Octopi worked very well in all DEs in place of pamac.

For a long time I don’t have neither octopi. No graphical frontend is as reliable as pacman itself. Let’s continue to speak only in native pacman’s terms.

Trying to answer you, I’ve installed pamac in Antergos-Kde Testing environment. This is what pacman is going to remove along with pamac:

┌──[just]@[alexasp]:~$
    └─> sudo pacman -Rcnsu pamac
    checking dependencies...

Package (12)              Old Version        Net Change

antergos-kde-setup        1.0-3               -0.48 MiB
    appstream-glib            0.7.2-1             -2.80 MiB
    archlinux-appstream-data  20171017-1         -17.58 MiB
    gcab                      0.7+16+g4bc4be1-1   -0.35 MiB
    libappindicator-gtk3      12.10.0-12          -0.18 MiB
    libdbusmenu-gtk3          16.04.0-2           -0.17 MiB
    libindicator-gtk3         12.10.1-7           -0.12 MiB
    pamac-tray-appindicator   6.2.1-1             -0.08 MiB
    qtcurve-kde               1.9.1-1             -1.08 MiB
    vte-common                0.50.2-1             0.00 MiB
    vte3                      0.50.2-1            -1.35 MiB
    pamac                     6.2.1-1             -2.38 MiB

Total Removed Size:  26.58 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] No, thanks
    ┌──[just]@[alexasp]:~$
    └─> 

This list is almost identical to yours. The main difference is the absence of antergos-kde-setup metapackage in your list. Unfortunately, pamac makes part of it, so full pamac removal should remove antergos-kde-setup as well - thus, breaking Antergos Kde integrity. I don’t understand, why antergos-kde-setup is absent in your case.

I’m also slightly worried about qtcurve-kde removal. It’s a very common Kde style. It may be re-installed later though.

Other removal candidates seem to be Gtk3-related, so probably may be safely wiped out of Kde.

Installing octopi without removing pamac first wasn’t a good idea. Two graphical frontends might have some common dependencies (it’s hardly possible, but who knows), so some octopi deps might be present in pamac’s removal candidates.

What does this command return for you?

sudo pacman -Rcnsu pamac

• Hey thanks for the responses!

the command sudo pacman -Rcnsu pamac gives me:

Packages (10) appstream-glib-0.7.2-1 archlinux-appstream-data-20171017-1 gcab-0.7+16+g4bc4be1-1 libappindicator-gtk3-12.10.0-12 libdbusmenu-gtk3-16.04.0-2
    libindicator-gtk3-12.10.1-7 pamac-tray-appindicator-6.2.1-1 vte-common-0.50.2-1 vte3-0.50.2-1 pamac-6.2.1-1

Total Removed Size: 25.01 MiB

What about archlinux-appstream-data-20171017-1 and appstream-glib-0.7.2-1 are they safe to remove?

• @mattb66 said in Is it safe to remove Pamac?:

What about archlinux-appstream-data-20171017-1 and appstream-glib-0.7.2-1 are they safe to remove?

I’d say that it’s safe to remove them as well. In Kde, with octopi installed, two other pkgs should be present: appstream and appstream-qt.

I may be wrong though.

The most secure way to proceed is as usual:

• backup the whole / partition
    • do whatever you want with the system
  • Excellent thread – thanks! I decided to give it a shot here (I’m using Openbox with Antergos):

$ sudo pacman -Rcnsu pamac
    checking dependencies...

Packages (5) appstream-glib-0.7.2-1  archlinux-appstream-data-20171017-1  gcab-0.7+16+g4bc4be1-1
                 libstemmer-0+337-2  pamac-6.2.1-1

Total Removed Size:  23.46 MiB

If anything goes wrong, I guess I’ll find out! Lol. I’ll report back if I notice any issues, though.

• @MALsPa
    So are you able to use your computer now? ;)

• I also checked:
    pacman -Rsn
    pacman -S octopi

They did not have any common package.
    And pacman can always be used without the graphical front-ends, e.g. to get them back.

Now I removed pamac and installed octopi, all seems to work OK. But I didn’t test notifications since I had nothing to update.

• @manuel

Lol. Yeah, in fact I just finished updating the system and then I rebooted and everything looks fine (so far). Not that I’m anticipating any problems. I’d suggest doing what “just” said and backing everything up first even though I didn’t bother to do that myself.

• @manuel said in Is it safe to remove Pamac?:

…They did not have any common package.

Very well. Thank you.

And pacman can always be used without the graphical front-ends, e.g. to get them back.

Yes, sure!

Pacman for Arch is like kernel for Linux. Fancy graphical DMs and DEs may placed on top of kernel, but kernel doesn’t need them to work.

Various graphical bells and whistles like octopi or pamac may be placed of top of pacman, but pacman doesn’t need them to work.

Now I removed pamac and installed octopi, all seems to work OK. But I didn’t test notifications since I had nothing to update.

To do a test, it is possible to downgrade any package to a lower version - get it from ALA - and see how octopi-notifier works.

• You can check notifier icon also inside bottom right, it is may hidden and aviable on expand notify field.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @just said in Is it safe to remove Pamac?:

To do a test, it is possible to downgrade any package to a lower version - get it from ALA - and see how octopi-notifier works.

Oh, I was too lazy and didn’t want to downgrade. ;)
    Actually I could try downgrading with the downgrade package.

@MALsPa @mattb66
    You could use VirtualBox virtual machine to do any experiments you might have. It is quite safe. I did that, too.

• @joekamprad

Well I downgraded a package. The octopi-notifier is aware there is an update waiting, but doesn’t seem to automatically say anything about it.
    I’m not so familiar with KDE, so do you think it should show automatically something about the update? If so, when and how?

• @mattb66
    Do you think this is solved now?

• manuel, thanks for the tip. I don’t do VB here, I like hard drive installations, and I’m not scared of messing up my Antergos installation as I have several different Linux installations here – if I mess up one of them, a re-install would be no big deal to me. The most important thing to me is making sure my data is backed up.

• @MALsPa
    That sounds good. :)

As we all (probably & should) know, backups are quite important things to make sure they work properly. And even test the backups from time to time to know that they really are OK and not just waste disk space.

And this was my today’s portion of off-topic. ;)

• @manuel said in Is it safe to remove Pamac?:

As we all (probably & should) know, backups are quite important things to make sure they work properly… And this was my today’s portion of off-topic.

Backups are always on-topic, everytime and everywhere :) !

• Hey guys!

Thanks for all the responses! I successfully removed Pamac and everything seems to be fine :)

• @mattb66 said in Is it safe to remove Pamac?:

I successfully removed Pamac and everything seems to be fine

I’ll mark the topic as [SOLVED] then. You may always turn it back to [UNSOLVED] if something breaks.

pamac42 remove18 safe4 Posts 19Views 271