• (solved) nvidia driver lets system freeze

Hi everbody,

I discovered the following anomaly! When selecting the Nvidia driver for installation, I must now find that this is not installed. If I install it, the system will not boot anymore and will hang when the crypt disk is unlocked. This forced me to install the systme again?Question this may be that the driver is not clear with Wayland and Xorg at the same time?
    ISO is 17.9
    Nvidia driver 387.22-4

• If now you have enough time to try to solve the problem, and you have an Optimus computer, then reading this Antergos Wiki article might be of some help.

• Hi,

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] (rev a1)

• @LuG42 said in (solved) nvidia driver lets system freeze:

this may be that the driver is not clear with Wayland and Xorg at the same time

no, wayland will not run (almost) with nvidia drivers, Gnome DE will try to start wayland, and if this is not possible uses X11…

If it is dedicated nvidia card then try the script: nvidia-installer (sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer) and run it:
    nvidia-installer -t (to test if it works)
    If this do not show any error install drivers with it:
    sudo nvidia-installer
    nvidia-installer -h to see all options it can run…

This will install needed packages uninstall unneeded and create some configuration files…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @LuG42 said in (solved) nvidia driver lets system freeze:

Question this may be that the driver is not clear with Wayland and Xorg at the same time?

I’m not sure to interpret correctly the question.

Wayland may or may not work with proprietary nVidia drivers on single-GPU, non-hybrid nVidia cards. I.e., on computers with only one, nVidia GPU. I cannot verify it, because I don’t have such computers.

On the other hand, Wayland has absolutely no problem to work with proprietary nVidia drivers on double-GPU, hybrid nVidia cards - on Optimus cards. I.e., on computers with two GPUs - nVidia and Intel.

I tested Wayland with prop nVidia on three Optimus cards - GT 555M, GT 650M, GT 750M. Wayland with prop nVidia runs smoothly on all three. The results of the tests was many times posted in the forum. For example, here and here. There were no reports about an incorrect work of Wayland + prop nVidia on Optimus in the forum.

Wayland-nVidia works on Optimus.

I’m not speaking about prop nVidia installation here. It’s another question. Using official ISOs only and depending on the card’s type, the driver may be installed in several different ways:

• by Cnchi, for single, non-hybrid nVidia only, and not for Optimus
    • by nvidia-installer, for both double- and single-GPU nVidia (Optimus and non-Optimus); nvidia-installer may fail on Optimus with BIOS-controlled graphic card
    • by hand, as explained in Antergos Wiki, for Optimus only; it’s probably the only way to install on Optimus with BIOS-controlled graphic card.
  • @just but as you say also: LightDM cannot start Wayland even with Intel. So a Antergos-Gnome-standard-installation will not be able to run on wayland at all without tweaking the system…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in (solved) nvidia driver lets system freeze:

@just but as you say also: LightDM cannot start Wayland even with Intel…

That’s right. LightDM cannot start Wayland, for now.

But I was answering another, more general question - whether or not Wayland works with proprietary nVidia drivers. The answer is not related to specific distro or display managers.

For simple, single-GPU computers - nVidia only - the answer is unknown for me. I don’t have such computers.

For hybrid, double-GPU, Optimus computers - nVidia and Intel - the answer is yes, Wayland works perfectly with prop nVidia drivers.

• as i think user was only asking, whether it is possible that x11 and wayland are interfering with each other…
    and i do answer this already before… as Antergos is not working with wayland at all, at the current stage…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• What user was asking about still remains unclear for me.

X11 and Wayland doesn’t interfer one with another. Wayland cannot run any of X clients without xorg-server-xwayland layer. But it should be completely transparent for the user.

Yes, you’re right. Wayland cannot be started in Antergos OOTB.

Posts 9Views 234