• Antergos as a distro

I actually have a question. I have checked the internet when it comes to both Manjaro and Antergos. Manjaro I leave aside as I don’t like the idea with it’s own repositories and stuff as the main thing that made me come to Arch as an ex Windows user is the fact that I get updates when they are available.

I know it might not sound right, but I want to know I get the latest updates and in case something is buggy due to the update I want to learn how to fix it.

But my question is the following. Why do people say that Antergos is actually an installation of Arch instead of a distro? Is it because it uses the base and just installs that stuff that needs to get you going? Like DE and few programs? Or is it something else.

Right now I’m trying to figure where to remain when it comes to Arch. Either Antergos or ArchMerge :D. Maybe you guys can give some advice ^^

• @mVoinescu said in Antergos as a distro:

But my question is the following. Why do people say that Antergos is actually an installation of Arch instead of a distro? Is it because it uses the base and just installs that stuff that needs to get you going? Like DE and few programs?

Yes, i by myself considered Antergos a pre-configured Arch not so long ago, but i guess that’s no longer the case. Antergos uses Arch repo, but also it’s own, alongside with pre-configured DEs, packages, has it’s own developers etc etc…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Why do people say that Antergos is actually an installation of Arch instead of a distro? Is it because it uses the base and just installs that stuff that needs to get you going? Like DE and few programs? Or is it something else.

I would say that to the casual user, it is essentially a user friendly Arch all set up and ready to go for anyone. However, if one takes a closer look at all of it’s packages, code, and customizations, I would say that it is far more than that. As far as the technical side goes, I would say that it has taken on a life of it’s own, distinct and separate from Arch. But when it comes down to it, as far as the user is concerned, it’s just Arch with numerous tweaks for the day-to-day users and an extra repository to install useful packages.

I know it might not sound right, but I want to know I get the latest updates and in case something is buggy due to the update I want to learn how to fix it.

As for updates, you will get them just as if you were running Arch. Only with Antergos, a graphical installer is all set up and ready to go for you:grinning:. And if that wasn’t enough, the AUR is all pre-configured for your use. So basically, you will get all the power from a simple Arch install and then some!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• I disagree a little.

I think Antergos is indeed largely an Arch installer. The problem is why some people see that as a bad thing, or otherwise feel this warrants some kind argument at all. There is no accepted definition of what constitutes a linux distribution. So there is no possible argument against Antergos being its own distribution, even if all it does is essentially wrapping Arch Linux installation. Antergos does have its own small repository. But it is mostly the expected Antergos branding and a consequence of the installer decision to support multiple desktops. Whatever else it may contain is frankly of little significance. But that is fine. That is great in fact! There’s plenty of Ubuntu derivatives out there doing precisely what Antergos is doing and no one is bothered about calling them anything other than a Linux distribution.

I’ve been an Arch user for close to 7 years. Have recently briefly migrated to Manjaro, and now to Antergos where I have already established I will stay. Antergos was selected by me exactly because of Cnchi and the fact it leaves Arch repositories (and everything else) alone. Like was your case, I too consider these Antergos most sexy features. This effectively means that I no longer use Arch, even more so because Arch users will refuse to give you support. And that in itself answers any doubts that Antergos defines its own distribution.

As for your original question, how to solve updates problems as they rise, as you must understand there is no simple answer. We will have to wait for those problems to occur in order to start solving them.

• Well, I heard that “Ubuntu” in Zulu means “Dunno how to install Debian”, and it could be easily applied to “Antergos” and “Arch”. ;) I’d say even more: I don’t know how to install Arch and I don’t care. As well Debian as vanilla Arch are DIY sets for geeks, who like wasting spending time on setting up and polishing their OS. Thankfully I can choose a product that works out of the box, and I did so. There are many other things to do and life is short.

Could you please check out my game?

• [offtopic] You all have point out right! but forget the main thing: Antergos is the most friendly community, and brings a lot fun into Arch ;) [/offtopic]

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thank you guys for all the answers. I know I will test it more in VB so I can learn more about tweaking and not fuck it up. Once I’m happy and will document everything down, maybe even create some scripts to make the transition to it as a main Os will make it easier when installing everything. I can confirm that you guys are really helpful and friendly :D. thanks again

• @joekamprad said in Antergos as a distro:

[offtopic] You all have point out right! but forget the main thing: Antergos is the most friendly community, and brings a lot fun into Arch ;) [/offtopic]

I have to agree here, I have had much trouble on other forums for software’s (Mozilla is the worse) and other distro’s, and they would rather chew your head off :head_bandage: than help if you are not savvy with Linux or computing in general, and if you are somewhat advanced, you get a lot of people wasting your time by pointing out the totally obvious, in order to amass “Goody points”, who don’t even understand your question to begin with. :drooling_face:

Lot’s of distro’s claim to have a “great community”… but are extremely uptight, and if you get upset, which is all too easy when sh*t don’t work, they punish you hard… Here, they are more lenient to beginn with, and use a more rational form of diplomacy for conflict resolution. Mostly real solutions come faster, so there is less to get upset about in the first place. :hugging:

The flazzum you spizz, the zoider you splat!

distro8 Posts 8Views 334