• Geary asking for passwords each time

Hi,

Every time I start Antergos, Geary starts up automatically and asks me for the keyring password and two of my four accounts’ passwords as well. This is really anoying because I have to introduce 3 different passwords at each boot up.

I know I can change my keyring password to a blank password and the issue will stop, but I would prefer not to do that.

I can’t find a way to fix it, any help? (I’m using GNOME 3.26 by the way)

Thanks

• may you messed up gnome keyring?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring

and take a look to seahorse logon where your geary passwords should be stored, try erasing all geary passwords there if they are present, or do it the hatŕd way by removing geary settings and start from scratch…

remove this folders (or move them away)

~/.cache/geary
    ~/.config/geary
    ~/.local/share/geary

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Geary asking for passwords each time:

may you messed up gnome keyring?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring

and take a look to seahorse logon where your geary passwords should be stored, try erasing all geary passwords there if they are present, or do it the hatŕd way by removing geary settings and start from scratch…

remove this folders (or move them away)

~/.cache/geary
    ~/.config/geary
    ~/.local/share/geary

I’ve checked seahorse and everything looked fine. So I removed all geary passwords and rebooted the PC, geary asked for all the passwords and then I rebooted again. And stills the same.

Afterwards, I moved to another directory all the folders you suggested and configured one of the accounts in geary and rebooted. Geary keeps asking for the password at start up.

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks for your help.

• so problem is the gnome keyring (user session key) looks like it do not give you access to the saved passwords…
    you will need to reset it:

Ensure that the seahorse package is installed, open it (“Passwords and Keys” in system settings) and select View > By Keyring If there is no keyring in the left column (it will be marked with a lock icon), go to File > New > Password Keyring and give it a name. You will be asked to enter a password. If you do not give the keyring a password it will be unlocked automatically, even when using autologin, but passwords will not be stored securely. Finally, right-click on the keyring you just created and select “Set as default”.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I’ve tried all of that, anything changed. Now geary is asking for all the four passwords of the different accounts I have.

EDIT
    So, I’ve tried to delay geary autostart and I found what the problem is. If I unlock the keyring before geary starts, no problem, everything is ok. In I do not unlock the keyring before, it will pop up asking for all the email accounts passwords.

Is there anyway to avoid it? For example, delaying geary startup until keyring is unlocked.

Notice I have autologin turned on in the settings menu.

• aha autologin ;) why i do not ask this ? i was using gnome-shell with i3wm so i start the gnome keyring on login, this may work also for gnome itself?

You can try this:

Start the gnome-keyring-daemon from xinitrc edit:

nano ~/.xinitrc

and add this inside:

eval $(/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh)
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I didn’t have a .xinitrc file. After creating it and copying those lines inside, everything stayed the same :weary:

• i am not sure if GNOME is reading it… ma yyou need to create a gnome-keyring.desktop file under

nano ~/.config/autostart/gnome-keyring.desktop

put this inside:

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Script
    Name=gnome-keyring
    Comment=autoload gnome-keyring
    Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh

make it executable:

chmod +x ~/.config/autostart/gnome-keyring.desktop

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Stills the same more or less. The prompts appear each time, but now I do not have to enter the password of each account: pressing ESC closes the alerts and then geary can still work with the email accounts.

• @judd said in Geary asking for passwords each time:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=210986

Is there any difference between using the default keyring and the login keyring? I don’t want to stop using the default one if that leads to some security issues or keys unencrypted.

• i have no “default” key there:

cd ~/.local/share/keyrings/ 
    ls
    login.keyring user.keystore

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

i have no “default” key there:

cd ~/.local/share/keyrings/ 
    ls
    login.keyring user.keystore

Login appears to be the default keyring now, but it doesn’t seem to be unlocked automatically at boot up. I added the pam lines though.

• if you are using automatic login, keyrring needs to be open with your password, or you need to take an empty password…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

if you are using automatic login, keyrring needs to be open with your password, or you need to take an empty password…

I think I did not explained myself before: Geary stills ask for the email passwords, and also keyring password pop ups, and geary still doesn’t remember the passwords despite all the last things you suggested to do.

• 0_1509916602881_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-11-05 22-14-38.png
    remeber passwords is enabled inside geary account settings?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

0_1509916602881_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-11-05 22-14-38.png
    remeber passwords is enabled inside geary account settings?

It is, obviously I’ve check it several times ;)

• I have this also sometimes, and need to reset geary complete, but after this all works fine again…

by removing: ~/.cache/geary and ~/.config/geary and ~/.local/share/geary
    have you checked if it only effects geary?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

have you checked if it only effects geary?

I don’t have more passwords stored in the keyring so I can’t tell if only has to do with geary. Tomorrow I’ll try to reset geary again, and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

• I had geary reset again but nothing changed. For now, I’ve find a temporary solution that works for me.

I have delayed geary startup by 5 minutes, this gives me the time in the 90% of the bootups to enter the keyring password and unlock it. So, when geary starts I don’t get any errors.

geary2 asking4 passwords3 Posts 24Views 553