• /etc/passwd and group seemed to have gotten messed up.

So this morning I ran a system upgrade, as I do every morning (its amazing I’m only now having issues), and, not for the first time, pacman generated some files that I needed to move. In this case it was /etc/passwd and /etc/group. Like an semi-idiot I ran sudo mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bu (only semi-stupid since I did make back ups). The issue here is that, appaently without passwd, the system can’t identify you so I couldn’t run any other commands such as sudo mv /etc/passwd.pacnew /etc/passwd. Oops.

I’m a strong believer in the idea that there is more to learn from a failure than success, and didn’t feel too badly. Besides, I still have my install disk, right?

I boot into the Antergos install disk and move the passwd.pacnew and group.pacnew to passwd and group respectively, reboot, and expect everything to be sunshine and rainbows.

Can’t boot, and I can’t get into a terminal either (ctrl+alt+F2). Having to twice restart my machine without a proper shutdown the first thing I do after booting back into the live-DVD is to fsck the root directory. Following that, I move paswd and group to passwd.dafuq adn group.dafuq, respectively, and passwd.bu and group.bu back to where they were.

Looking through the group files, I see on a cursory inspection that the new one is quite plain, without any mention of any of the users on this computer aside from those belonging to non-persons (e.g. root, bin, …). On a more detailed examination, I can’t tell any difference at all. As for passwd.dafuq, I’m not sure what happened to it. I made it about an hour ago, but it doesn’t appear to exist.

Using the older files, my system is running well enough, however I’m having two problems, for certain, that I attribute to a permissions issue. Firstly, I can’t open Chromium. I can hear drive activity, however nothing further happens. Firefox, luckily, still runs. Also, native Steam isn’t loading. it ran an update just fine, however it won’t do anything else. I haven’t tested every program yet, so this is by no means an exhaustive list.

Even though I believe this to be a permissions issue, I still attempted to reinstall Chromium (pacman -S chromium) however, this didn’t fix the issue.

[edit] One thing I should mention is that the issue with Chromium is shared among all accounts. There are actually two accounts. One was created back in March and another I created this most recent weekend to help facilitate the migration from ext4 to btrfs. The original account has two home directories, one on an ext4 partition, and another in a btrfs subvolume. Both [i:1r7zemrr]should[/i:1r7zemrr] have the same data, but they don’t despite all the files coming out identical and present when I checked them with cfv (creates and checks checksums/hashes, in my case sha1). I don’t think any of this is really relevent, but I figure more information doesn’t hurt.

• So this morning I ran a system upgrade, as I do every morning (its amazing I’m only now having issues), and, not for the first time, pacman generated some files that I needed to move. In this case it was /etc/passwd and /etc/group. Like an semi-idiot I ran sudo mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bu (only semi-stupid since I did make back ups). The issue here is that, appaently without passwd, the system can’t identify you so I couldn’t run any other commands such as sudo mv /etc/passwd.pacnew /etc/passwd. Oops.

I’m a strong believer in the idea that there is more to learn from a failure than success, and didn’t feel too badly. Besides, I still have my install disk, right?

I boot into the Antergos install disk and move the passwd.pacnew and group.pacnew to passwd and group respectively, reboot, and expect everything to be sunshine and rainbows.

Can’t boot, and I can’t get into a terminal either (ctrl+alt+F2). Having to twice restart my machine without a proper shutdown the first thing I do after booting back into the live-DVD is to fsck the root directory. Following that, I move paswd and group to passwd.dafuq adn group.dafuq, respectively, and passwd.bu and group.bu back to where they were.

Looking through the group files, I see on a cursory inspection that the new one is quite plain, without any mention of any of the users on this computer aside from those belonging to non-persons (e.g. root, bin, …). On a more detailed examination, I can’t tell any difference at all. As for passwd.dafuq, I’m not sure what happened to it. I made it about an hour ago, but it doesn’t appear to exist.

Using the older files, my system is running well enough, however I’m having two problems, for certain, that I attribute to a permissions issue. Firstly, I can’t open Chromium. I can hear drive activity, however nothing further happens. Firefox, luckily, still runs. Also, native Steam isn’t loading. it ran an update just fine, however it won’t do anything else. I haven’t tested every program yet, so this is by no means an exhaustive list.

Even though I believe this to be a permissions issue, I still attempted to reinstall Chromium (pacman -S chromium) however, this didn’t fix the issue.

[edit] One thing I should mention is that the issue with Chromium is shared among all accounts. There are actually two accounts. One was created back in March and another I created this most recent weekend to help facilitate the migration from ext4 to btrfs. The original account has two home directories, one on an ext4 partition, and another in a btrfs subvolume. Both [i:1r7zemrr]should[/i:1r7zemrr] have the same data, but they don’t despite all the files coming out identical and present when I checked them with cfv (creates and checks checksums/hashes, in my case sha1). I don’t think any of this is really relevent, but I figure more information doesn’t hurt.

• I’d still like some input into whats up with my recent upgrade issues, however I feel I should mention, in more than an edit (if this presumption is false please let me know), that my issue seems to be fixed.

• Just ran across this today when I did a update also. If you run across a solution, that would be great.

• Hi,

The issue where Chromium and other apps do not work is not related to your password adventures

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1831
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.