So this morning I ran a system upgrade, as I do every morning (its amazing I’m only now having issues), and, not for the first time, pacman generated some files that I needed to move. In this case it was /etc/passwd and /etc/group. Like an semi-idiot I ran sudo mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bu (only semi-stupid since I did make back ups). The issue here is that, appaently without passwd, the system can’t identify you so I couldn’t run any other commands such as sudo mv /etc/passwd.pacnew /etc/passwd. Oops.
I’m a strong believer in the idea that there is more to learn from a failure than success, and didn’t feel too badly. Besides, I still have my install disk, right?
I boot into the Antergos install disk and move the passwd.pacnew and group.pacnew to passwd and group respectively, reboot, and expect everything to be sunshine and rainbows.
Can’t boot, and I can’t get into a terminal either (ctrl+alt+F2). Having to twice restart my machine without a proper shutdown the first thing I do after booting back into the live-DVD is to fsck the root directory. Following that, I move paswd and group to passwd.dafuq adn group.dafuq, respectively, and passwd.bu and group.bu back to where they were.
Looking through the group files, I see on a cursory inspection that the new one is quite plain, without any mention of any of the users on this computer aside from those belonging to non-persons (e.g. root, bin, …). On a more detailed examination, I can’t tell any difference at all. As for passwd.dafuq, I’m not sure what happened to it. I made it about an hour ago, but it doesn’t appear to exist.
Using the older files, my system is running well enough, however I’m having two problems, for certain, that I attribute to a permissions issue. Firstly, I can’t open Chromium. I can hear drive activity, however nothing further happens. Firefox, luckily, still runs. Also, native Steam isn’t loading. it ran an update just fine, however it won’t do anything else. I haven’t tested every program yet, so this is by no means an exhaustive list.
Even though I believe this to be a permissions issue, I still attempted to reinstall Chromium (pacman -S chromium) however, this didn’t fix the issue.
 One thing I should mention is that the issue with Chromium is shared among all accounts. There are actually two accounts. One was created back in March and another I created this most recent weekend to help facilitate the migration from ext4 to btrfs. The original account has two home directories, one on an ext4 partition, and another in a btrfs subvolume. Both [i:1r7zemrr]should[/i:1r7zemrr] have the same data, but they don’t despite all the files coming out identical and present when I checked them with cfv (creates and checks checksums/hashes, in my case sha1). I don’t think any of this is really relevent, but I figure more information doesn’t hurt.