• The booting from hard disk option doesn't work

In the live USB, if you choose “boot from hard disk”, it just sents you to the original screen.

• @es20490446e
    I just tested in a VM and is working fine here. Antergos iso version 17-10
    @karasu i just noticed that Antergos in UEFI mode has no “boot from HD” option.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Tried with a second and very different computer, and the result is the same.

• @es20490446e said in The booting from hard disk option doesn't work:

Tried with a second and very different computer, and the result is the same.

I can confirm that. On bare metal, not in VM, with multiple Linuxes present in different partitions on two internal hard disks, the LiveUSB boot loader cannot boot none of existing Linuxes. Trying to explicitely indicate for it from which disk and partition to boot from doesn’t help either. Computer has normal human BIOS, not UEFI, is MBR partitioned, is booted by Grub, all partitions are ext4 32-bit, is not infected by WindOS presence.

• @just

ext4 32-bit?

Did you use 64-bit LiveUSB?

• @manuel said in The booting from hard disk option doesn't work:

Did you use 64-bit LiveUSB?

Yes, sure, I use 64-bit antergos-17.10-x86_64.iso.

But I’m not speaking about OS architecture. It is 64-bit.

I’m speaking about ext4 file system architecture. I dislike 64-bit arch and change it to 32-bit, once a system is installed.

• @just said in The booting from hard disk option doesn't work:

I dislike 64-bit arch and change it to 32-bit, once a system is installed.

Why is that (just curious)?

• @manuel said in The booting from hard disk option doesn't work:

Why is that (just curious)?

For several minor reasons, but the main is that Grub 2 is practically unable to deal with with more that 4-6 OSes on a computer. I have from 12 to 24 OSes running on each single computer here. Grub doesn’t have any problem to control them all.

So I never use Grub 2 but only Grub.

But Grub can’t read 64-bit ext4 parts, so I switch 64-bit ext4, which Antergos creates by default for ext4, to 32-bit.

• @just
    That’s new info to me.
    About the grub 2 unable to support more than about 6 systems, do you think GPT or MSDOS partition table makes any difference? Which partition table are you using?

EDIT: Sorry about being off-topic here. Maybe this discussion should be moved to another thread…

• @manuel Yes, we are scandalously off-topic. Not an answer, but a kind of continuation…

The only - repeat, the only - difference between 32- and 64-bit ext4 modes consists in a maximum file system size.

If we use traditional 4 KiB blocks, then maximum file system size in 32-bit ext4 mode is of 16 TiB. In 64-bit mode it is of 64 ZiB. The differences stop here.

Even the maximum file size doesn’t depend on the mode. It is of 16 TiB for both 32- and 64-bit modes.

I didn’t see 16 TiB files yet. 32-bit ext4 is enough for now.

Sorry for off-topic.

booting25 disk5 Posts 10Views 168